Woodruff Key?

6 replies to this topic
  • MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:42 PM

O.k. I have been reading the threads and still don't understand what the woodruff key is. Is it just for the starter? If it goes out can't you just kick start it? I am going to go look at an 03 wr450 at a dealer tomorrow and need to know what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

• dbailey223

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:03 PM

I believe the woodruff key is for the stator or its equivalent. So, if it shears off, you will get no spark generated no matter how you try to start it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:24 AM

Go to this web site link and print off the instructions and order the parts to upgrde your 03 starter design to 04 design. This is critical to avoid expensive engine case cracks, gear breaks, and the woodruf key failure you mentioned.

http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

Note that the instructions have been changed to allow you to keep the side cover by ordering a bushing and pressing it into the old side cover. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TARFELE

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:29 AM

I just did mine last night. If you buy the bike make them throw in the parts for free. The dealer cost is less than $100 for the parts. it cost me $168.68 out he door.

• dbailey223

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:10 AM

I know this has been covered before, but is the starter conversion still needed if the dealer did the woodruff key fix before I picked up the bike new back in 2003?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Yes you still need to upgrade. the woodruff super lap and loctite bandaid fix actually can make the failure more severe with damage to the engine and cases! Brilliant fix recommendation by Yamaha!!!!!!! :applause: :ride: :p :p :lol: :p :p :lol: :p :p ;) :p :p ;)

• dbailey223

Posted November 18, 2005 - 11:51 AM

HEHE. I think I see your point, but could you be clearer next time? HEHE Just kiddin!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.