brake fluid in fork oil

6 replies to this topic
  • freekstyle

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I just finished replacing a fork seal. When I was filling the shock I overfilled it. I decided to use this hand operated vacuum pump thing I have to suck out the extra oil in the shock.

The problem is the last time I used the pump was when I bled my brakes. I remembered that I didn't empty the pump after that. So a small amount of brake fluid my have gotten into the shock. It would be at the most a teaspoon, but it could be that no brake fluid got in there at all.

If I got some brake fluid in there, how dangerous would this be?

Can I just empty the contaminated shock oil out, or do I need to disassemble everything, clean all the parts and do everything over again?

I haven't put the shock back on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:59 PM

If you are replacing a fork seal, &%$#@! are you messing with the shock for?

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:20 PM

I would think he's referring to the damper cartridge in the fork, no?

If you were using the "syringe" to pull something out of the fork, what amount of brake fluid do you think there is in the 30 or so ounces of fork oil now?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freekstyle

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:21 PM

If you were using the "syringe" to pull something out of the fork, what amount of brake fluid do you think there is in the 30 or so ounces of fork oil now?

There could be about .5 oz of oil in there. I was curious if it would hurt anything.

• freekstyle

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:29 PM

If you are replacing a fork seal, &%$#@! are you messing with the shock for?

So sorry. I did mean the damper cartridge.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:34 PM

Well, that would make it something like two to three percent, depending on how much oil there is in the fork. I'm not sure why you think there was as much as that in the oil, but if it was me, I don't think I'd worry too much about it, to be honest. The fork oil should be capable of just absorbing it. But if it will make you loose sleep, dump it. Being careful is seldom a bad idea.

• freekstyle

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:41 PM

The cheap pump tool I have looks like a grease gun but works in the opposite manner. I pumped the fork oil out, and as I pulled the tube from the fork some of the oil ran back into it. If there was some brake fluid still in the pump it could have ran out as well. I was guessing .5 oz could be the most possible amount, although it is most likely much less than that.

Sorry if I seem overly cautious about the oil, this is the first time a have ever taken a fork apart. After going through the effort make a 14mm hex tool and a castle nut tool to remove the base valve as well as doing all the inspections according to the manual, I didn't want to screw the project up with something stupid.

BTW, thanks for the replies gray, you allways give good advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.