Removing Steering Shaft

11 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I'm thinking about replacing the lower triple clamp, and I was curious about how to go about removing the steering shaft from the OEM lower. I couldn't find anything in the manual, so I was wondering if anyone knew the particulars or if I have to get a new one?...SC

• jbrooks26

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:17 PM

U should be able to press it out. Or take it to a machine shop, they will be able to do it.

• clark4131

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:45 PM

I found a GYT-R stem on the Yamaha parts site and it's only $34. I'm just not sure it'll work with an aftermarket lower clamp. I wonder if they're a uniform diameter?...SC

• Matty05

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:09 PM

They should be???

• ncmountainman

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:21 AM

the applied clamps run a different stem(at least mine did) and yes it will press out but make sure the gytr stem isn't specific for the gytr clamps :ride: most others should be the same :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Most aftermarket clamps are made to fit the OEM stems. I used the '03 stem from my 450 in the '04 clamps (both stock and Applied) that I installed on it. I will boldly guess that yours will fit, if it's the right clamp for your application. It presses out from the top. Be careful to support the clamp very close up to the stem bore, but leave a little clearance for the wire ring that is on the bottom of the stem. You can push the stem out with the lower bearing in place, but put them back together separately.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:48 PM

after some more research; your right gray,i was duped into buying that stem by motorsports outlet! they told me i needed that stem for the wrap clamp can't trust anyone :applause:

• clark4131

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I spoke with Yamaha customer service and the GYT-R stem has the same dimensions as the stock stem, so I think I'll just pick one of those bad boys up for $35 along with a new lower bearing and I should be good to go, or is there something else I'll need?...SC

• Joe Reitman

Posted November 21, 2005 - 06:04 AM

A slightly off topic but partially related question- since my 05 has 48mm tubes, and I can't find the Longhorn triple clamp for 05 WR, will 04 YZ upper triple clamp fit? Help!!! Thanks :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:51 AM

it will,and i happen to have an 05(same clamp)that came right off my yz when it was new. pm me if your interested :applause:

• Joe Reitman

Posted November 21, 2005 - 11:49 AM

it will,and i happen to have an 05(same clamp)that came right off my yz when it was new. pm me if your interested :applause:

Thanks- I assumed it was same and took a chance and ordered an adjustable "longhorn" one for $99 this morning, per good reports on TT. Appears to be a Protaper clone made for Rockymountain

Thanks for the offer of your yz one. :ride:

• jnybbad1l40

Posted October 03, 2006 - 01:25 PM

I know this is an old thread but can someone tell me if the 2003 wr450 stem is the same as the 2006? I have a complete MB1 modified front end with BRP clamps from an 03 Id like to swap to my 06. I know the tubes are diff diameter so I want to swap the whole front end as long as the stem is the same.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.