Power of 426

28 replies to this topic
  • metalm0

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I have a friend who wants to sell me an 01 yz426f for 3 grand. I am of course goin to try to get it lower but I had a few questions. I just came off of an 02 yz 125 and never owned a 4 stroke bike. I have rode a friends 94 xr250 bored out to a 277 with fmf muffler and hot cam etc.. Anyways, the bike didnt feel that powerful to me. I know its an off road bike and compared to a race bike its goin to feel different. Is the 426 going to feel different compared to the 250 by a big margin or??? Please hurry and help me because I have a chance now to get this bike. I am of course goin to test ride it before I buy it but wanted some of your guys input. Thanks.
-Josh

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:04 PM

I would say the difference is a big margin. Especially if compared to a bored XR250. After riding my 426, a 250 2 or 4-Stroke just doesn't cut it for me. I used to ride both RM's and CR 250's.

3K sounds high. The going rate I have seen for an 01 426 is around 2000-2300. I would honestly look for a newer 250 or even a 450F - or see if you can get him down to around 2300 or less.

The 426 is still a great reliable bike but in all honesty, coming off a 125, I think its going to be a little heavy and hard for you to handle. I would definitely ride it 1st if you haven't to see for yourself.

Hope this helps.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Id say take it out for a ride with him and see if you like it. The torque difference in a 125 to a 426 is kinda hard to describe. How would an ant describe an elephant? Because thats the difference.

The 426 isnt going to turn like a 125, but its not horrible. I think 3K is too much also. I think 2000-2300 is about the top of the market on that bike. And not because its a bad bike. They're only cheap because the current 450's are so F'n good its almost silly...

• metalm0

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Ok I know this is the Yami part of the forum but just a minute ago I had a friend call me saying that he had a 1990 CR500 for sale. Now I am used to 2 strokes and from only riding a 125 2 stroke would you say that is a good bike? I ould basiclaly make a profit buying the bike (around 1500). Any prob or any tips or compliments Ill take anything please. Thanks
-Josh

• Yak

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:17 PM

You guys don't realize the market/demand for a good green sticker bike in Southern California.

Check this link...

http://www.recycler....&iC=90&iSC=4120

You guys in the south and east coast have a different market.

• kizzle426

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:10 PM

I came off a CR125 to my 426. I love it. I don't have any problems riding it because I weigh only a little bit less than the bike, and I have muscle to move it around. But people that ride and say they feel the weight. I personally think 2-strokes feel too light for me. I love the power and it has it to spare. It'll blow even a motocross 250 4-stroke away. I just suggest riding it and seeing how you feel on it. Everybody feels different about 4-strokes.

• Yankee500

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:21 PM

I bought my 01' 426 2 years ago, $2750 was a good price at the time, since new ones were about twice that out the door.

The power of the bike is the one thing that makes me love it. The handling isn't great (or I just haven't been able to dial it in right..), the seat is hard as a rock (after 50 miles or so), but the grunt from the motor will get you out of trouble almost every time. I'm not a great hill climber, but this bike always pulls through. When in doubt, add throttle, and it will pull hard from just above idle.

Very different from your previous 2 stroke, you really don't have to think about power with the YZ, it's always there, as much as you want, you can concentrate on other stuff, like rocks and branches on that hill climb you're trying to make.

• metalm0

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Ya thats what I exactly need instead on the 125 you only concentrated on if your in the powerband or you are goin to bog down and crap like that. My friends xr 250 is different though liek it has power in the beginnign but once u get in the higher rpm's its just like gone. I wanted to make sure 4 strokes werent like that and I am glad they arent. Im sick of mixing oil and gas and run out of gas to quick plus all the repairs. I am glad I am getting a 4 stroke.

• odlaw19

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:48 PM

The 426 is definately going to feel heavier, but as others suggested, it has plenty of power on tap!!!

I love my 426, the power is pretty agressive but it makes it fun!

• MichiganMXer

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:21 PM

I bought my 01' 426 2 years ago, $2750 was a good price at the time, since new ones were about twice that out the door.

The power of the bike is the one thing that makes me love it. The handling isn't great (or I just haven't been able to dial it in right..), the seat is hard as a rock (after 50 miles or so), but the grunt from the motor will get you out of trouble almost every time. I'm not a great hill climber, but this bike always pulls through. When in doubt, add throttle, and it will pull hard from just above idle.

Very different from your previous 2 stroke, you really don't have to think about power with the YZ, it's always there, as much as you want, you can concentrate on other stuff, like rocks and branches on that hill climb you're trying to make.

Yep right on.. I guess I forgot about that.

It's still a competitive bike. Heavy by today's standard but it still rips. I still go back and forth winning starts with my buddy on a crf450. He's 30lbs lighter too. I did add a gyt-r bolt on and it added some low-mid but never the less, it still rips.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kizzle426

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:08 PM

I still place well with mine. I'm not looking to win championships, just have some fun racing locally. I definitely accomplish that. Like you said, I always had to worry about popping the clutch to keep the 125 on the pipe. Now, I just twist and shout (sometimes literally). You'll love the bike. I promise. Oh yeah, I bought mine for like 3150 at the beginning of this year. But that was the going rate in the Cycle Trader. Enjoy the bike. :applause: :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:42 AM

I don't know about the Elephant and Ant comparison, but it's way different, alright.

Your 125 is like a Cooper Mini S. Snappy and fun, but it gets its power by spinning. The XR250 is like Toyota Corolla. Smooth, but hardly thrilling. The YZ426 is like....did you ever ride in a 454 Chevelle? Monster power, right f*g now! As long as you can hear the engine, there's no need to worry about whether you're in the power curve or not. It's controllable and linear, though, and there's a huge fun factor involved, but like the Chevelle, you'll need to learn how to toss a heavier vehicle around.

Even in CA, you should be able to get the thing for a little less than $3K. If it's really is in top shape, it might actually be worth it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:44 AM

The 1990 CR500 is a LOT of bike. A whole lot of bike. Ive got an 88'. When I start to feel like my CRF450 is a handful I'll go spend a day on the beast. Then when I go back to the 450, it feels like a ***** cat. CR500's are light, strong, reliable and incredibly powerful. You wont have to worry about keeping on the power. If you want to wheelie out of a berm, fine...just turn on the throttle. It wont matter what gear youre in. If youre not trying to ride competitive MX, just out trail riding and play riding MX the CR500 is a hell of a bike. If youre thinking about racing at all, Id suggest something you can push instead of that bike, which very few humans on the planet earth can ride well. There are probably 50-60 people on the earth that can ride a 500 effectively. Its just got too much dang power for most people around an MX track.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:00 AM

The 1990 CR500 is a LOT of bike. A whole lot of bike. Ive got an 88'. When I start to feel like my CRF450 is a handful I'll go spend a day on the beast. Then when I go back to the 450, it feels like a ***** cat. CR500's are light, strong, reliable and incredibly powerful. You wont have to worry about keeping on the power. If you want to wheelie out of a berm, fine...just turn on the throttle. It wont matter what gear youre in. If youre not trying to ride competitive MX, just out trail riding and play riding MX the CR500 is a hell of a bike. If youre thinking about racing at all, Id suggest something you can push instead of that bike, which very few humans on the planet earth can ride well. There are probably 50-60 people on the earth that can ride a 500 effectively. Its just got too much dang power for most people around an MX track.

Ain't that the truth. I had a '94, and when I first rode an '03 YZ450, I couldn't understand what the fuss over the 450 was about. But it was actually 10 pounds heavier than my 450 is. It really did have so much power that it was truly difficult to go fast on, and jumps had to be taken very prudently so as not to invert the thing. It would pull like an XR250 when it was barely turning over, and when it cleaned up and really started pulling it was a real eye opener. And then it hits the fat part. :applause:

Not for the inexperienced, or faint of heart.

• kizzle426

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:57 AM

I'd love to run a CR500AF around a track. That would be one helluva rush.

• metalm0

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:36 PM

Now with all of that said, I have looked at forums between the yz400 and yz426 and people say there is difference in power between the 400 and 426. Does the 426 have more power where you can definitely tell the difference? Is it worth the money for a 426? I am not going to be raicng but just cruising around the country, riding at dunes,and riding up in the hills. Thanks.
-Josh

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:14 PM

Depending on who you ask, there's a 2-4 hp difference in favor of the 426. The 426 is also 10-15 pounds lighter, particularly the '02. The 400 is a great bike. The 426 is a refined version. And yes, it's all very noticeable.

• chadapotamus

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:16 PM

A XR250 doesn't even compare to a YZ426. You can't even compare a XR250 to a YZ250F. I believe an XR400 would be more similar in power to a 250F.
Anyways, I've spent some time on a friend's '01 426 and the power is awesome. It's right there when you need it, at any RPM high or low. The only drawback is the weight. To some people it's not a big deal. I probably could have gotten used to it, but I prefered the 250F. I guess it all depends on the type of riding you do. If you are more into off-road than MX, it would be great. I've been riding more desert and I'm planning on getting a 450 this year.

• metalm0

Posted November 18, 2005 - 06:02 PM

So you r sayin that an xr400 is sorta like a yz250f? Well I just took a test ride on my friends 426 and I cna say I definitely love the bike and I can shift well but I am going to miss those 2 strokes. Can anyone with experience with a cr500 and a yz426 tell me the problems between the two and if the cr500 has considerably more power. Thanks again everyone.
-Josh

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 18, 2005 - 06:34 PM

I'd love to run a CR500AF around a track. That would be one helluva rush.

Two of my riding buddies have 500AF's. They are sweet ... for 2-strokes. You can pick them out in the crowd of bikes by the sound, they really stand out. Much more authoratative sound than the 250 2-strokes. You're not going to win many strait up drag races against a 500AF (or a CR500) on a 426, but if you get a really good drive out of the corner you can hold one off fairly well, or at least make it very difficult for them to pass. I think the 426 will get most people around the average MX track faster than the 500AF will, at least here on the east coast where I rarely even use 4th gear on my 426. I've only ridden one of the two AF's myself, and man that thing vibrated! My fingers and toes were numb by the 2nd corner. I will say that my 426 has gobs more off-idle torque than the 500AF had. Once the 500 gets on the pipe things start to get blurry, but it's not as torqy just off idle. Maybe that's due to the choice of pipe that he's running on the 500? One more big consideration in your decision; 1990 CR500 suspension is no where near up to par with 2000 or later MX suspension of any kind, and suspension is a very big deal on an MX track. That alone would make me take the 426. If you ride offroad a lot then maybe green sticker is more important to you? Both are considered extremely reliable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.