The weirdest thing happened...

3 replies to this topic
  • fat_boy_on_CRF450x

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:43 PM

I bought back and am "restoring" my old 85 XR600R that has been sitting in my friend's garage since I sold it to him in 1993. I have replaced a bunch of parts, including just about everything on the dual carbs but the carb bodies and the slides (bikebandit.com loves my wallet) as well as a bunch of electrical parts.

I just got everything back together and it is running great (thanks to some great carb advice from folks in this forum). The plastic and the seat is in excellent condition. The tank was in great shape except the decals were yellowed, brittle and flaking off. I took the bike out for a quick run around the neighborhood last night, amazed at how great it was running.

After it cooled down, I started to clean the bike up a bit. I sprayed some citrus cleaner on the tank last night to remove some old greasy spots (DEP Citrus Cleaner from Home Depot). The tank cleaned up great! I went out this morning to look at the bike in the daylight and smelled gas in the garage. I looked at the tank and there was a huge crack (with some other spider cracks) all the way through from the top to bottom of the left front edge of the tank right where I had spent the most effort cleaning off the old grease spots! The crack opens outward, almost like it was pressurized with compressed air until it ruptured. No one had been in the garage and the bike had not fallen over.

I have used this cleaner before and it is pretty powerful, but I've never had a reaction with plastic before. I know gas vapors get through plastic tanks and cause decals to bubble up (which is why they perforate the decals now). It's almost as if the older plastic lets more vapor though and that vapor reacted with the residual of the cleaner and somehow cracked the tank. I know this sounds wierd, but I assure you I am not yanking anyone's chain. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

• kehale

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:01 PM

We need pics!
:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • targetdrone

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:16 PM

So, do you need another tank cheap?

• fat_boy_on_CRF450x

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:36 PM

I'll take pics and post tomorrow after work. Yes, I need a new tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.