Valve Adjustment 2001 650R

7 replies to this topic
  • boondkr1

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:57 PM

Followed Mike Hobbs off road.com article. Bringing up to TDC "F" mark after rotating +3 times CCW, piston on top. Rocker arms still tight. Repeated several times with same result. This was supposed to be just a maintenance check as the bike was running great and started fine, no funny noises. Are the valves too tight and need adjusting? Dont want to fool with it if there is something I'm missing. Bike doesnt have very many miles and as far as I know they have never been adjusted. Any ideas?

• kehale

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:05 PM

when in doubt, adjust them.

It's pretty painless.

tight valves are not good.

Get em in spec pronto (2001?... :applause: )

• TimBrp

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:09 PM

T-Mark not F!! Timing mark. I put mine right on the edge of the T. The rockers should have a tad bit of play in them. You want Top dead center on the compression storke. You'll see the valves go down(Intake), then the piston will come back up(she might girgle a bit) look at the marks they should be coming right up. IF you go past the mark do the rotations again, don't go back. Pull your plug, it will make the turning easier, too easy sometimes.

• BRP27

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:13 PM

I looked at Hobbs instructions again and have used them in the past. I don,t see anything you are missing, other than it's the "T" mark. The intakes rockers should move up as the crank rotates CCW and then be a little loose if you grab the rocker and move it by hand, they should be able to move due to the clearance.

If you have no clearance the valves need to be adjusted. Follow the rest of Hobbs instructions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:41 AM

Just an FYI contribution, also a 2001 650R.

Checked mine last Monday, at a 500 mile interval.

One intake valve was a tight .005" (low side of tolerance)
One exhaust valve was a semi-tight .009" (high side of tolerance).

The others were perfect. Now they are all perfect.

• boondkr1

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:30 AM

My mistake, I was using the "T" mark. The exaust and intake can be both adjusted in this position? Appreciate the advice. Just seemed wierd that after all these rides the valves wouldnt have loosened up. Plus, it's running great.

• kehale

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:37 AM

valve clearance can change in a few ways:

The cam can wear, rockers can wear, tips can wear (increasing clearance)
The valve can recede into the head, or wear (decreasing clearance)

Kind of depends on what's happening in there.

It's like science or something. :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:34 AM

My mistake, I was using the "T" mark. The exaust and intake can be both adjusted in this position?

Yes sir, :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.