Auto-decompression exhaust cam

11 replies to this topic
  • silent

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:21 PM

I have heard of people installing an exhaust cam from a newer WR450 into an older WR426 to provide auto-decompression. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2002 WR426 and while I would love electric start (and can't have it), auto-decompression could go a long way to making me happier with my bike.

Also, has anyone upgraded their newer exhaust cam that may want to sell me their stock one?

• byggd

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:38 PM

I have heard of people installing an exhaust cam from a newer WR450 into an older WR426 to provide auto-decompression. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2002 WR426 and while I would love electric start (and can't have it), auto-decompression could go a long way to making me happier with my bike.

Also, has anyone upgraded their newer exhaust cam that may want to sell me their stock one?

I have the same bike. I installed a 03 YZ450 ex cam and I have to say it's the best mod on my bike next to the Rekluse clutch. It kicks over super easy, gave me yz timing, and makes the power come on much more evenly / prodictably :applause: You can buy it here at the TT store for about $120 delivered including the $9.95 to sign up :ride:

• nimiz1

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:28 PM

can i put this cam in the wr-400 also?

• byggd

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:11 PM

can i put this cam in the wr-400 also?

Last I heard it was being tested on the 400 but I never heard what the results were :applause:

• CuLayTur

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:41 PM

I'm running it on my '98 WR 400... Best money I hav ever spend on this bike.

Curt

• Dhoppy

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:53 PM

how much is the auto decompression cam? Best place to buy it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CuLayTur

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I found it on ebay. It was somewhere in the $100 dollar range. The shims that were needed after the install were free exchange from the local moto-dealer.

Curt

• chrisl609

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:27 PM

I got mine from NCY on ebay. It was around $100-105. I put mine in my YZ400 & love it!

• sdracer785

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:20 PM

I put one on my 01 Wr426. I LOVE it another benefit is less tendancy to stall and if it does just pull in then dump the clutch while still rolling and it will restart. Try that with a standard cam.

• byggd

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:14 AM

how much is the auto decompression cam? Best place to buy it?

You can buy it here at the TT store for about $120 delivered including the $9.95 to sign up :applause:

• Vibeguy

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:43 PM

If you install the auto decomp cam and remove your old manual system don't forget to get the TT decomp plug ($23) to plug the hole. The factory plug is a press fit only and will blow out on you. Not only makes a mess but will alow dirt directly into your head/camshaft area.

• byggd

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:56 PM

If you install the auto decomp cam and remove your old manual system don't forget to get the TT decomp plug ($23) to plug the hole. The factory plug is a press fit only and will blow out on you. Not only makes a mess but will alow dirt directly into your head/camshaft area.

Good point! :applause: I forgot about that :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.