07 Wr 450

85 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted November 22, 2005 - 08:36 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I can't pay 10 grand for a dirt bike. I would like to see EFI, but all this other stuff is going to skyrocket the price. And I don't think we'll ever see production two-wheel drive WR's, be real! I'm very happy with my '05 450 and the '06 is even better (I should have waited a year). I like what Yamaha is doing. The WR is at the top of the hill and its not an orange bike!

You can already buy a production 2WD WR.......... for $12,000.00 :p

I saw a video of this bad a$$ off road event from france where they had to ride up this stream bed that had all these step ups and these 2WD Wr's totally excelled, it was pretty impressive. There is also the guy that ran one in Paris - Dakar and did well, especially in the dunes :applause:

FI is the future for these bikes, and we'll see about the Aluminum frames but for now I am happy with the handling charactaristics of my 04' and I know my next WR will have a lower center of gravity so lifes good, I just need to get one more race season out of my 04' so I can see if the 07' has FI :ride:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 23, 2005 - 06:22 AM

i saw that too,its in the pictures and video section,under 'french enduro' i think? that is one bad as commercial for the 2wd,shows him just handing the others thier a$$es on those slick sections :ride: i'd consider one for $10k. and cast,billet,forged,extruded;whatever you want to call it its still aluminum,and yes i've heard plenty of alum mx bikes cracking and not even making it one race season.btw,the steel ones also crack,but they stretch a little first. it just rolls off the tongue in a more masculine manner;STEEL !! not; 'aluminum' :p now if they'd make a titanium alloy frame :applause:

• Beef

Posted November 24, 2005 - 11:07 PM

I really want an 06 WR, but I'd be willing to wait 'till '07 if there was a reasonable possibility for fuel Injection...what do you guys think? Would they put FI on the YZ first, then put it on the WR a year later like everything else...or would they put it on the WR first, since most people that ride WR's ride at a larger variety of elevations and temperatures? :ride:

For ease of maintenence and access to the carb, I'd much rather have the steel frame, but if they switched to FI, switching to Aluminum would probably be a moot point, since you'd never have to re-jet EVER again! :p

They finally stuck FI on the new Raptor 700...I can only hope the WR is next! I'd agree with Indy...if it was only an additional $200 or so for the FI, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! :applause: By the way, when do the next model year bikes come out? June?

• Matty05

Posted November 25, 2005 - 12:22 AM

Me?

I think handguards and frameguards would be sweet, it's an offroad bike. Husky found a way to street title their TE line, Yamaha should copy them and get the bike to pass the EPA for all emissions standards, that along with Yamaha buying out Dales dualsport kit design making the bike street legal from the factory. They would sell gazillions of them..

Yamaha don't have to buy out no dual sport design, We get them in Australia street legal straight off the show room floor. You guys miss out :applause:
blinkers, speedo, ignition key, rear number plate hanger, etc....

We also get handguards in the spares kit, they look mighty like EMX pro handguards. http://www.ballards....ils&content=231

We just miss out on frame guards.

I guess you guys miss out because they have to be cheaper to compete with the sales competition.

• SANG

Posted November 25, 2005 - 01:27 AM

Well I just had to chime in on this one if they make the 07 that much better than the o6 Im first in line. I own both the 05 and 06 wr and the 06 is leaps and bounds better than the 05 it feels smaller,lighter turns sharper suspension out of the box performs as good as my moded 05 and I havent needed to bolt on my damper yet .the 05 has my supermoto wheels on it and has been on the street only ,after getting the 06 all I've done to the 06 is uncork,handguards,ds kit and trashed the crappy dunlops . Long live the wrs the best off road 450 out there. PS i also own the ktm and just sold the crfx.again long live the wr450.

• Beef

Posted November 25, 2005 - 08:19 AM

Out of curiosity, why did you sell your CRFX?

• clark4131

Posted November 25, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the differences between the '05 & '06 are relatively minor. From Yamaha:

-New enduro computer is trick and easy to use.
-New, two-position handlebar clamps give the aluminum Renthal bar 10mm of adjustment range.
-New compression circuitry in 48mm forks absorbs even the tiniest bumps better than ever.
-New seat foam provides more comfort.
-New reinforced swingarm provides precise handling and tracking.

Aside from those things, the bikes are the same. I don't see how they can be so night and day :applause: ...SC

• MOHAWK

Posted November 25, 2005 - 02:56 PM

Has there ever been any talk of Yamaha coming out with a new engine design? Seems like I've read somewhere that they had a newer design that lowered the overall height of the engine (reducing CC). Getting old...memory's not as good as it used to be.

Don't get me wrong...I like the current 450 motors! :applause:

FWIW...I do agree that the WR's will have the AL frame. Not sure about FI.

• simon@vic

Posted November 25, 2005 - 05:10 PM

i believe the current frames are some kind of chromoly alloy. not "steel" :applause:

ferris or aluminum, EFI or carb, this or that...............
none of that matters nearly as much as the transmission that is missing its 6th gear............. there are some of us who do extremely tight single track and WFO in the same ride.............. come on yami, 6 gears for 2007!!!!!!!!

• Just034

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:03 PM

I second the wish for a 6th gear. Out here in the desert southwest the trails sometimes open up and you run out of gears real quick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Has there ever been any talk of Yamaha coming out with a new engine design? Seems like I've read somewhere that they had a newer design that lowered the overall height of the engine (reducing CC). Getting old...memory's not as good as it used to be.

Don't get me wrong...I like the current 450 motors! :applause:

FWIW...I do agree that the WR's will have the AL frame. Not sure about FI.

You are right, look at the new '06 YZ engine. totally new. Still 450cc.
We will probably see it in the '07 WR.

• Triumphs

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:33 AM

The aluminum frame will win out on the marketing front, from a pure "trickness" factor. "If it looks good it is good," etc. The fact is it's probably not necessary, but the bike is probably due for some type of major refreshening and if Kawi or Suzuki produce off-road versions of their 450's along with the new Honda....the WR will look dated pretty quick. It will be the specifics of the particular frame design (steel or alloy) which will make the difference, and despite solid improvements in '05, might be a real opportunity to seriously revamp a design considered a bit of a tank by many in the past and often compared to 650's instead of other 450's in handling!

Let's look at it as an opportunity to totally transform the bike...which a steel frame would do also. But the Japanese manufacture's are MX obsessed...and any development will be based on the current 450 MX in either case. Let's hope the design doesn't lose any of it's best attributes of reliability and durability :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:56 AM

Triumphs, I couldn't have said it better myself.. :applause:

• BajaFool

Posted November 26, 2005 - 04:06 PM

For those of you who have not yet read the January 2006 Dirt Rider review of the 2006 Yamaha YZ250F, the bike weighed in at 221 Lbs ready to ride without fuel. That means, according to the review, that with the addition of the new "space age" aluminum frame the bike weighs 3 Lbs more than the old outdated steel frame technology of the 2005 Yamaha YZ250F. I can only assume that the aluminum frame for a future model year WR450F will result in the same "weight savings". Oh by the way, try to straighten or weld that forged aluminum frame, once it has been bent or cracked.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 26, 2005 - 04:17 PM

I can only assume that the aluminum frame for a future model year WR450F will result in the same "weight savings". Oh by the way, try to straighten or weld that forged aluminum frame, once it has been bent or cracked.

You are absolutely right about trying to repair or bend aluminum. Our machine shop hates working with aluminum because it is so fragile and heat sensitive!
My understanding is the new frame is 1.75 lbs lighter that the chrome moly steel one. They can take that 1.75 lbs out of the exhaust. Why have a light Titanium header and then a 10 lb. muffler! A lot of things on the Japanese bikes dont make sense to me! :applause:

I still want a bike with the following features at 250 lbs!

6 speed gearbox!!!!!
adjustable eccentric cam front axle for offset and trail steering geometry set up!
Slipper clutch for reduced engine braking!
Grease zerks in the hubs, swingarm and linkages for keeping lube in and mud out!
An air box that is truely water tight yet lets air in from a larger opening under the seat!
Fuel injection since we have a battery for the starter!
Wider rims for the new larger off road tires which will reduce pinch flats!
Chrome Moly Steel frame with rubber mounted engine to reduce vibration on long rides!

• Triumphs

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:04 AM

I can only assume that the aluminum frame for a future model year WR450F will result in the same "weight savings".

The WR's issue has never been total weight as much as how it carries it. This is the big opportunity for a new frame design to address. In the past the bike has been within 5-7 lbs of a KTM 450, but compared disfavorably to even an XR650R in handling...nevermind the other 450's! "Spec sheet" strategists will never pick up on this as the raw data doesn't convey that...you actually have to ride them back to back with other bikes. I would be very happy with a new bike 1.7 lbs heavier if it "feels" 20 lbs lighter!

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 27, 2005 - 08:53 AM

The WR's issue has never been total weight as much as how it carries it.

Exactly. What the aluminum frame will do is allow the fuel to be carried between the frame members instead of on top of the frame. It will make a huge difference in the handling. All of the Japanese mx 4 strokes are going this route and I expect the off roader's will follow suit. The hand writing is on the wall. And if you crash hard enough to cause major frame damage I think you'll have bigger problems than worrying about than the frame (like the hospital bill).

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:49 AM

I agree that a perimeter frame is a great advancement. :ride: But who says you cant have a perimeter frame and still have it made of Chrome Moly Steel! :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted November 27, 2005 - 11:12 AM

But who says you cant have a perimeter frame and still have it made of Chrome Moly Steel!

No one. Kawasaki had one for years in MX. It didn't exactly set the world alight but there was nothing wrong with it. It too had to be sorted out over the years just has Honda's aluminum frame. But the MX version is going to dictate how the WR comes out like it or not...and these days that means aluminum.

• AHRMA17L

Posted February 28, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Life is hard being divorced these last 3 years with no kids. Riding and working is all I want to do right now.

I have to smile wryly at this...after I got separated then divorced, I rode about 8-10 times a month and went on some killer riding trips in Calfornia, all over the west coast and even into Baja. Good thing I had an XR at the time (mid 1990's) as I do not think anything else would have held up through that lean time in my life. :thumbsup:

When/if you do get married again, make sure you do find that perfect person who lets you and understands that you need to go riding riding. I did--in fact she'll look at me and tell me it is time to get out and ride or go out to the track. Freedom like that is priceless. :thumbsup:

Back to the WR...I persoanlly know a few owners of dealers and a lot of their employees very well, and no one has any news that I have been able to pry out of them regarding aluminum framed WRs for 2007. I think they will come, and we should know in June-August, I would expect.

I would not hesitate to buy one of the last steel framed bikes, though. I have a 2004 YZ125 and just bought a leftover 2005 WR450 and think they are great.

I have a fear that the aluminum WR's will be over the $7000 mark when they come out. :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.