07 Wr 450

85 replies to this topic
  • Jim_bo

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:19 AM

I was seriously considering an 06 WR450 because it is soooo much smaller, lower, thinner, etc. than my 03 WR450. Plus I have heard so many great things about the 05 upgrade. Well, recently I have been hearing about the new superbike on the block... the 06 YZ450. I keep reading that it is better than sliced bread. I think Racer X said it is "a thousand times better than the 05YZ450". Apparently, Yamaha has totally redesigned the 06 YZ. My question is...

1) Will the WR get the aluminum frame in 07? And if it does:
2) Will the WR be completely redesigned and upgraded like the YZ?

Anyone have any insider info?

Jimbo

• TimBrp

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:17 AM

I'd imagine yamaha kept the steel frame on the WR so they could deplete the excess stock for 06'. I hope to see the aluminum frame on the 07'. We'll see.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:06 AM

If history is any indicator the WR will have all the YZ upgrades the following year. Yamaha has done this like clockwork dating back to the mid 1980's.

• dbailey223

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:21 AM

What benefits come from an aluminum frame? Lighter bike?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:10 AM

With the new aluminum frame you get:

No carb access for jetting changes! Just pull off the sub frame air box and battery to slide out the carb out the back and change your jets! :p

Stiffer frame will mean you get pounded more riding nasty enduro type trails! :p

Frame guards are now a must since you can wear right thru the frame just above the pegs! I am on my second set of aluminum frame guards since I ate a fist size hole thru them from all the riding! :lol:

Slightly lower center of gravity and you save 1.75 lbs from a steel frame! :ride:

I am sure that steel is a better choice for off roading but some advancements are strictly for the uneducated masses who have to have the lightest bikes. :applause:

• gmoss357

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:21 AM

No carb access for jetting changes! Just pull off the sub frame air box and battery to slide out the carb out the back and change your jets! :p

Stiffer frame will mean you get pounded more riding nasty enduro type trails! :p

Frame guards are now a must since you can wear right thru the frame just above the pegs! I am on my second set of aluminum frame guards since I ate a fist size hole thru them from all the riding! :lol:

Slightly lower center of gravity and you save 1.75 lbs from a steel frame! :ride:

I am sure that steel is a better choice for off roading but some advancements are strictly for the uneducated masses who have to have the lightest bikes. :applause:

this is what I was thinking, I would rather have a steel frame for the woods due to its vibration absorbtion and access to the carb. Looks like 06 will be the year to have.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:25 PM

No carb access for jetting changes! Just pull off the sub frame air box and battery to slide out the carb out the back and change your jets! :applause:

Indy, I checked the '06 YZF250 at the local dealer and I was surprised about the carb access. It's not as bad as I initially thought if you change your jets (or make needle adjustments) with the carb on the bike, but it will definitely be more difficult to remove the carb. My fear is that on the WR, with the e-start, it will be very difficult to make changes to the MJ/PJ/LJ without removing the carb, so you will end up having to remove subframe/airbox, etc... like you said. I'm not a fan of the Al frame either, but if it comes, it comes, but I sure hope that it comes with EFI!!

!!!!You wore your frame guards out!!! I know you have a lot of miles on your bike, but that's insane!!

• barefootbob

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I think the WR is going in the wrong direction,Its a dam street bike.My 04 makes great power and I like the changes to the 05 frame but did'nt they change the intake cam as well as the exhaust in 05.I would get the YZ.Acully I'm thinking of getting a KX250 smoker punching it out to a 300, port it, adjust the suspention for the woods and leave the Thumper in the dust.

• Jim_bo

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:48 PM

If you have been reading the reports of the 06 YZ, there are a LOT of changes other than just the frame. It almost seems like the frame is a small change compared to all the other stuff the did.

Jimbo

• ARin

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:22 PM

i like my steel bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Indy, I'm not a fan of the Al frame either, but if it comes, it comes, but I sure hope that it comes with EFI!!

!!!!You wore your frame guards out!!! I know you have a lot of miles on your bike, but that's insane!!

My riding buddies like NCMountainman, DDialogue, DavidM, WRer cant believe how riding every weekend for 2 years I wore my Devol frame guards out with a fist sized hole in the center where my ankle rubs! :applause:

• dbailey223

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Dang, wish I could ride once a month let alone every weekend! You must be single Indy or have the perfect wife!

• SpeedBlitz

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Dang, wish I could ride once a month let alone every weekend! You must be single Indy or have the perfect wife!

I'm with you. Actually, both my wife and I ride, and can barely get 8-10 rides a year. I wonder what the hell is Indy's secret!!! I'm jealous!!

• Matty05

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:52 PM

You guy's need a job like mine!
I work 2 days, 2 nights then 4 days off. That is a lot of spare time for riding!!!!

I am a big fan of the aluminium frame. The benifits are mainly improved handling.
Yamaha just has to move with the times.

P.S. devol frame guards must be crap!

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2005 - 05:09 PM

Life is hard being divorced these last 3 years with no kids. Riding and working is all I want to do right now. In a few years I may get back to a balanced life style and ride once a month like most TTer's. :applause: :ride: :p

• mtrablue

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:32 PM

one of the biggest changes to the yz was the new motor to go in that aluminum frame. it now carries the oil in the motor. (and is a five speed)unless the '07 is just a warmed over '06, i'd guess you'll get the motor and frame as a package. i can't see yamaha making an all new steel frame for the wr to go with the new motor.

• simon@vic

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:52 PM

In a few years I may get back to a balanced life style and ride once a month like most TTer's. :ride: :p :p

why?
that doesn't seem logical to me if you have to give up riding on Sundays. it is your religious right to ride every Sunday :applause: .

as for the frame.........

the chromolly steel, or what ever alloy they use is dam soft. its seems to work well for pounding on the single track and for cruising @ 2000rpm in 5th.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:05 PM

Isnt aluminum more prone to break/stress fracture? :applause: By the way, I must have the perfect wife. She never whines about my riding. I ride every weekend in the summer, sometimes 2 days sometimes just 1. I also get alot of weekday/evening rides in. She say she likes me riding better than hunting because I am home at night. I also hunt 30-40 days year, and she is not quite so fond of that, as I often am gone days at a time. But she still deals with it. AND WE HAVE TWO BOYS. Man, now that I think of it she is awesome. :ride:

• NavyNuke

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:08 PM

I love my compressed work week, only 3 or 4 days a week do I work. Lots of time to ride in AZ, just can't find many people to ride with on my days off.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:16 AM

I love my compressed work week, only 3 or 4 days a week do I work. Lots of time to ride in AZ, just can't find many people to ride with on my days off.

I too work 3 to 4 days a week. I would much rather ride during the week but like you it most of my friends work.

Back to the 07s.. I think there's a good chance we'll see the aluminum for 07. I think Yamaha has been doing an excellent in the development dept. I feel the 06's are the best we've seen to date.. The 07's should be better.. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.