Maybe buying 03 wr450. Whats a good price?

12 replies to this topic
  • MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I am looking at an o3 wr450. The guy is asking $3500. It is pretty much stock except for a desert tank and the exhaust being uncorked. I've been seeing prices on these going from $3250 all the way up to $5500. Whats the deal? Or should I save up for an 04? Are the upgrades worth waiting for? Thanks for any help, Dan

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:15 AM

$3,500. is a good buy if the bike is in good shape. :applause:
Otherwise you have to spend $300. to upgrade it to 04 starter design.
I would get an 04 if you can get one for $4,000.

• ARin

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:17 PM

I picked up a nice clean 04 450 a few months back for 4000 even. but i had to drive about 8 hours there and back to pick it up. this is the night i brought it home...

good deals are out there.

http://www.planetbla.../bike/wr450.jpg

• Just034

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I am looking at an o3 wr450. The guy is asking $3500. It is pretty much stock except for a desert tank and the exhaust being uncorked. I've been seeing prices on these going from $3250 all the way up to $5500. Whats the deal? Or should I save up for an 04? Are the upgrades worth waiting for? Thanks for any help, Dan

I can attest to the condition of ARin's 04. The bike looked to have had no more than a couple easy rides on it for 4000. I bought the same bike in very similar condition a few weeks later for 4500 with Scotts stabilizer+triple clamp, bark busters, and Utah Skid plate, and street legal equip. in AZ.

• patrickincc

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:26 PM

I have an 05 that Ill let go for 5000, firm. Its only been ridden 4 times. There are no tricks I just have not ridden it and just got a yzf 250

• NOMADAK

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Sold my '03 this past spring for $4000. It was very clean, uncorked, had good life left in the tires and chain/sprockets.
I threw in a GYTR aluminum exhaust and a couple extra filters.

The buyer was happy and I was glad to see the bike go to a good home. It was a nice ride but I was getting back into MX full time. It was no longer the bike I needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:42 PM

The only difference between 03 04 is the starter? Did they change to the bigger forks?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2005 - 05:11 PM

forks are the same from 03 to 04 but the crank shaft is slightly larger on the 04 as well! The 04 is the best WR choice on the used market in my opinion! :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:14 PM

forks are the same from 03 to 04 but the crank shaft is slightly larger on the 04 as well! The 04 is the best WR choice on the used market in my opinion! :applause:

+1 :ride:

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:29 AM

:applause: I bought the bike last night. I think I pretty much stole it from the guy. Here is the deal: He stumbled on this bike and 2 crf450's from an auto auction. So he buys them and brings them home and puts them all in the paper. He was asking $3500 each. So I go and look at the wr and the thing is pretty clean. I got the bike for $3400 out the door. He is taking care of the taxes and license. He is also going to see if he can get it plated since it had an Arizona plate on it. I normally don't like buying used bikes from someone who is not the owner because I don't know whats been done to it but like I said it is really clean. It still has all the paint on the frame where the boots rub. The after market things that I saw on it where obviously the desert tank which is a nice tank that has a tube that connects from the 2 low sides of the tank. It looks like the front brake rotor is bigger cause it has a machined block between the fork and the calliper. Carbon fiber gaurds on the sprockets, and I don't know if this is stock but it has a red dial on the bottom of the carb. Only thing it needs is a new year tire. Can't wait to ride it. Know it's time to put the 426 in the paper.

• rich1167

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like the red dial is a zip-ty adjustable fuel mixture screw. Not stock. Their nice to have. I am waiting for mine to come in.

• RichBaker

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:39 AM

That "red dial" is a Zip Ty fuel mixture screw...another nice tidbit. Sounds like you got a good deal.

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 19, 2005 - 10:07 AM

I tried to put the picture of it up but I can't figure it out. Also is the titanium head pipe stock?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.