Exhaust leak

15 replies to this topic
  • jmdishongh

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:42 PM

I have a leak where the muffler attaches to the head pipe even after tightening the clamp almost all the way. I read the post where you use silicone to help seal it. What kind and where can I buy it?

• xXHondaOwnsXx

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:18 PM

If you take the head pipe off there is a little copper round gasket inside, take that out and buy a new one, they are only $2.

• LostTrail

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:22 PM

The gasket wont help much, and I doubt it's copper. You can get silicone at any hardware store, make sure its red hi-temperature silicone. This is a sure way to stop the leak. GOod luck.

• dorkpunch

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:56 PM

yeah, the copper gasket is usually between the headpipe and the head, not the headpipe and the muffler. never tried silicone on an exhaust pipe before, but hey, you never know if itll work until you try. my fix would be to find some of the fiberglassy muffler packing and wrap it around the headpipe, then jam the muffler back on and tighten it down. you would be suprised at what kind of things will light on fire inside an exhaust pipe even if they are considered high-temp, but again, i've never used silicone to fix a pipe.....

• Yamaharacer989

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:00 PM

They gasket fell out at my last race. We used silencer packing and tighetened it down w/ a hose clamp. Try using silencer packing between the pipe and gaset, or where your lacking tension on the pipe see if it works.

• JimT

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:26 PM

[quote name='xXHondaOwnsXx']If you take the head pipe off there is a little copper round gasket inside, take that out and buy a new one, they are only $2.[/QUOTE]
Nope, not between the header and muffler.

[quote name='dorkpunch']yeah, the copper gasket is usually between the headpipe and the head, not the headpipe and the muffler. QUOTE]
Yup.

[quote name='LostTrail']You can get silicone at any hardware store, make sure its red hi-temperature silicone. This is a sure way to stop the leak. GOod luck.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Make sure its hi-temp. I buy it at auto parts stores, I've seen it in red and black.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:27 PM

You can get high-temp silicone (what you need) at any parts/hardware store.

• xXHondaOwnsXx

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Nope, not between the header and muffler.

I was talking about between the header and the engine block.

• titoheadfaceman

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I have tried putting silicone on the exhaust of my rm250 and it lasted about half a ride. There was just too much vibration and heat and after after a while, the metal won and wore the silicone away and that pasky leak was back. Of course this was a 2 stroke so the vibrations are less on a 4 stroker. But Im sure that after a while the silicone will wear off, it's is a sealant but cant withstand an exhaust test. I have tried it several times with no luck. They have exhaust sealant that is specially made for exhaust, but your best bet is to try and make the repair between the metals and not try and bridge the gap with stuff like that.

Just a suggestion :applause: :ride:

• LostTrail

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:07 PM

You put the silicone on wrong then, you have to have hi temp and it has so dry for a long time.

• Davet916

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Have you thought of going to the dealer, getting the correct parts and installing them properly? In the long run it will probably be cheaper and more satisfying.

Just a thought! :applause:

Dave

• chewgravel

Posted November 22, 2005 - 05:27 PM

I recently replaced my silencer pipe. The bike's previous owner had welded a bead from the fatty muffler to the silencer pipe AND used sealant. What fun that was to get apart :applause: I did not want to spring for a new fatty. THis is a nice gold series pipe. We finally managed to get it apart. Because of the miserably hot weather we had and work schedule, I had not been able to ride much. I finally got out to the track this weekend and noticed I too have a leak. I hesitate to use the high temp sealant because if I have to replace one pipe again, it will be a biotch to get them apart. Would it work to seperate the pipes, wrap with the packing and then put back together?

• bigboredbiker

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:23 AM

Use exhaust assembly paste. Sets solid when heated and not that bad to remove when you pull it apart again. Most car accessory shops sell it....

• Burnrider

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:57 PM

You put the silicone on wrong then, you have to have hi temp and it has so dry for a long time.

The recommmended stuff for a 4 stroke is the permatex 'copper' high temperature RTV. It's rated to 700 degrees F. on the tube. They recommend a 24 hour cure time. I let the bike sit for 2 days. It worked fine. Results vary, probably depending on how good/bad the fit is between the header and the exhaust flange.

• johnyvice3

Posted December 12, 2010 - 06:41 AM

If you take the head pipe off there is a little copper round gasket inside, take that out and buy a new one, they are only $2.

yeah, the copper gasket is usually between the headpipe and the head, not the headpipe and the muffler. never tried silicone on an exhaust pipe before, but hey, you never know if itll work until you try. my fix would be to find some of the fiberglassy muffler packing and wrap it around the headpipe, then jam the muffler back on and tighten it down. you would be suprised at what kind of things will light on fire inside an exhaust pipe even if they are considered high-temp, but again, i've never used silicone to fix a pipe.....

I went to the dealer to try to get one of those copper looking washers, between the pipe and the engine, and the guy didnt know what i was talking about. it also doesnt show up on the yamaha (exploded) parts diagram. the bike is a 201 yz 125. Where can i get this washer?!? :thumbsup:

• Dr GoFast

Posted December 12, 2010 - 07:46 AM

The recommmended stuff for a 4 stroke is the permatex 'copper' high temperature RTV. It's rated to 700 degrees F. on the tube. They recommend a 24 hour cure time. I let the bike sit for 2 days. It worked fine. Results vary, probably depending on how good/bad the fit is between the header and the exhaust flange.

+1... use the copper RTV for exhaust fittings seal. i have a friend who works for yoshimura and this is what he recommends using on all connections of a pipe whether it's leaking or not.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.