Leaded Gas Alternative in '84 XL600R

6 replies to this topic
  • XL600Rguy

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hi all,
Just wondering if I should be running leaded gas alternative in my '84 Honda Xl600R. My Dad mentioned that it might be a good idea to make the valves last longer. But on the other hand, I've never seen or heard it recommended anywhere. Never even heard the issue brought up at all. Thoughts?

XL600Rguy :applause:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:29 PM

i dont see how it could really hurt it.....those bikes are plain old bullet proof, just keep the valves adjusted. you may want to put some substitute in but i dont know how much it could really help. it would only be like 50 cents a tank so it might be worth it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I had an 83' (brand new) and found that it did run better on leaded premium but when that went away I just dealt with the hard starting. Then simply out of necessity, I put some jetski premix in my XL and found that the bike loved it. Started first kick every time, was way smoother, didnt run so hot, started easier when cold...it was like a damn cure all. I started carrying two stroke oil with me. Ive never been able to figure out why it ran sooooo much better on the premix than on straight gas. Mine was a california model that had some smog crap on it that I never bothered to try to defeat.

But for longevity, I dont think leaded fuel would do much for you. I sold my 83' XL to my uncle and he still rides it to this day. The thing has never had any work other than a valve adjustment. And it still runs fine. I think the thing has like 35,000 miles on it now. I put 20K on it in two years riding it back and fourth to work on unleaded gas with no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XL600Rguy

Posted November 21, 2005 - 11:55 AM

Well I think I may try the leaded gas alternative, just to see if I even notice a difference. On the package I think it said that you only need to use it every 1500km or something like that. Once I get the throttle cable installed, and a few other things tweaked, I'll ride it around with normal unleaded premium in it to get a feel for it, then try the lead alternative stuff. It would be great if the lead alternative made it run smoother and cooler. I'll try to remember to post my results after I giver 'er a go. Cheers :applause:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 21, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I wouldnt expect too much out of the "alternative"...

• roadcam

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:15 PM

most of those type additives really only had benefits in the pre- 'hardened valve seats' era ... roughly 1978 or so, and older, depending on make ... no gain on modern engines to my knowledge .. :applause:

• XL600Rguy

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Yeah I found some info on a british site talking about it, and they were saying its only for the really old stuff that it matters. As well, some of the lead additives can cause plug fouling and build up else where. I think I may just steer clear of the stuff afterall.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.