Lowest Maintenance WR 450 vs. CRF 450X

I have a WR and my buddy has a DRZ we do about the same maintenance both motors are BOMB proof. Your oil change program should be about the same as your DRZ. The Honda (I am Biased) will require a watchfull eye on the oil since the motor only has 7-8 oz of oil ( not exactly sure of the amount) so if it runs low you have trouble. Small quantity of oil will get dirty faster and need more frequent changes. The Valve train on the Honda is not as tough as the WR. Other than that both good choices for fast off road riding.

I change my oil after every couple of rides no mater what kind of bike it is. You have to different oils to change on the crf, it has seperate oil for the cylinder and the gearbox. I would say the wr is more reliable than the crf IMO.

Shoot I have 600+ miles on my WR450 since it's last oil change. Think I might change it now

Changing your Oil is like changing your underwear, a personal decision, but rest assured like your underwear the more often you change it the better the equipment will perform.

Seriously, Oil like engines these days has advanced technologically & most Oil manufacturers would like you to change oil as often as possible......thats how they make their money.

One thing I really like about the DRZ is the low maintenance...I've got 4,200 miles and looked at the valves twice...in-spec both times. Is the WR lower maintenance than the CRF?

Of all the "racing" four strokes the WR is probably the one that comes closest to traditional thumper maintenance and durability. Whether that's the same as a DRZ (or XR) is arguable but it compares pretty well to it's direct competition in that department. Might just have an aluminum framed 07' on my short list next year!

No expert in mechanics by NO means. However I live in an area that has petrochemical plants and from time to time I have worked in them. From actual operators who produce and design oil we, the public buy, into oil viscosity break down too much.

Don't get me wrong I change my WR oil every other ride and on my diesel truck and wifes gas SUV they get changed every 3000 to 4500 miles. That is just preventative maintenance.

But, from what I have been told, from what I consider experts. Changing oil in your car/ truck at 3000 miles there is absolutely no viscosity difference than at 6,000.

I would think that the same could be said at changing your oil in your WR at 200 miles or 1000 miles would make no difference. However I would consider the type of riding done. If it were a 90+ mile Enduro I would change it or if it were a really muddy ride that caused the engine to get hotter than normal. I would have no problem riding my WR on a dual sport ride 1000+ miles with the same oil.

:applause::ride: Just my, non mechanically enclined opinion ??

I think the best reason for changing your oil frequently, at least with these bikes, is to get out all the little bits of foreign matter that always seem to be floating around in there. Every time I drain mine, there's always little bits of flotsam and jetsam in the mix. Some may think jagged bits of metal and the shiny particles from the clutch have lubricating properties, but I'm not buying it. The oil itself may still be fine after a couple of rides, but I'd prefer the mechanical croutons not be in there with it...SC

Here we go. the age old question........as i see it..............

all bikes have the same amount chassis maintenance!

all motors need to have there oil changed all the time drz, wr, crf. every 200-500km.

all motors need there valves adjusted. some more then others but who cares.

the question should be reliability!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

In general these days frequent oil changes are a waste of money especially in cars. There's been many many real world tests by cab companies and other fleet companies and they gain nothing by changing oil frequently. A lot depends on where and how you drive your vehicle.