WR Clutch vs. YZ Clutch

5 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted November 16, 2005 - 05:37 PM

I noticed the WR clutch requires two different thicknesses in the clutch plates, while the YZ uses the same thickness throughout. Also, there is one more friction plate and clutch plate in the YZ. Why is that, and can I just install a YZ clutch pack instead and not worry about it or are the varied thicknesses necessary? :applause: ...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:41 PM

Yamaha made a lot of changes to the WR in 05 and many of those changes made it less attractive then the 04 model to demanding riders. Yamaha decided to save weight by eliminating the extra plates. Go ahead and put the extra plates in and set it up like a YZ clutch. :applause:

• clark4131

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Yamaha made a lot of change to the WR in 05 and many of those changes made it less attractive then the 04 model to demading riders. Yamaha decided to save weight by eliminating the extra plates. Go ahead and put the extra plates in and set it up like a YZ clutch. :applause:

That amazes me. Of all the places to try and save weight, especially with the amount of stress the 450 can put on a clutch. Thanks for the heads up, you're my hero...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:06 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and install the Hinson basket, inner hub and pressure plate, along with the YZ clutch pack in a day or two. I'd just like to know if there is anything I should watch out for or if there are any tricks to make things go smoothly. This is my first attempt at clutch replacement, though the manual makes it look fairly simple. Thanks gurus :applause: ...SC

• Just034

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:10 PM

Clark, it is pretty simple and straight forward, I am sure you got it covered. Where in NV are you we have a pretty good sized group with ARin and myself on this board from Vegas ( all on WR's).

• clark4131

Posted December 09, 2005 - 11:08 PM

I'm gonna get into the clutch this weekend and I've got one last question...I need to peen the screws that hold the primary drive gear to the back of the clutch basket, but I'm not quite sure was to use to do it. Will a standard tapered punch work, or should I be using a specific type of punch?...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.