Cold Starts

3 replies to this topic
  • pigryder

Posted November 16, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Hey guys has anyone removed the spring loaded choke flapper and had trouble cold starting their xr650rs below 50 degrees?

• TimBrp

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I have the choke flap on mine and the bike can be hard to start when cold. I can only picture it being worse when cold. Trick is to get at least ten swift kicks with the gas on, using the decompression lever and hold the kill switch. In colder weather typically a size up on the pilot is necessary. At least an adjustment of the fuel screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Well up until I removed the flapper It would always start no matter what within two kicks usually just one, mine is uncorked 68 pilot 178 main. I usually hold in the decompression lever and kick it over a half dozen times before starting just to get things moving, no kill switch or throttle just slow easy kicks, Ive never really read anything on adjusting the the fuel screw?

• pigryder

Posted November 20, 2005 - 04:35 PM

update: A buddy and I rode today and it was around 50 degrees and I held open the throttle with the decompression lever in and kick about 5 times and she fired right up! But it doesnt matter cause I ordered the choke plate from xrs only, and by the way the bikes kicked our asses today! just wasnt in the grove, last sunday though there was some serious riding!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.