WR450 or WR250

6 replies to this topic
  • Jim_bo

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I have a female friend who is looking for a new bike. She has been riding a KLX300 for a while, but it shows its limitations as a desert bike. She was sold on the WR250, but after looking at how small/narrow and nimble looking the new WR450 is, I am starting to wonder.

Anyone have any experience on the new (05/06) WR250 and 450? Is the 450 significantly heavier? Does the 250 run out of legs in the desert? On hills?

I have an 03 WR450 that she likes to ride. I think the 06 is night and day compared to my tank. I know the 250 will be a few pounds lighter, but you don't have to shift the 450 nearly as much.

What would you guys recommend for a female who is a pretty good rider, but very enthusiastic?

Jimbo

• ARin

Posted November 16, 2005 - 04:37 PM

a 250 will take her absolutely anywhere she needs to go...assuming she isnt 200+ lbs.

a 250 is definitely easier to toss around...but you are right, you need to shift around more to stay in the power.

a 450 is easier for you and I to ride because we can hump the weight back and forth...the question is, can she?

The 05+ WRs definitely have a lighter and smaller feel to them.

• Matty05

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:09 PM

a 250 will take her absolutely anywhere she needs to go...assuming she isnt 200+ lbs.

I got my girl a WR250F and the bike hauls my 210lb ass just fine!!!

Hey jim_bo, tell her to stick with the 250. They are a lot easier to ride. I put on a GYTR muffler and a vortex ignition to give it more oomph to make it more easier to ride for her, it has a crap load more bottom now.

Girl roost hurts too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KHB

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:22 PM

I have a 05 WR 250 and it gets my 190lb around with no problem. I am able to climb darn near any hill. On the soft sand I usually have traction problems before I run out of power but I have made some decent climbs with it. I had it out on the dunes and it rokked! Best bike I have owned. I have done all the free mods. I am in the process of adding a yzf pipe and opening up the air box some and rejetting. I am sure it will rip even better. I have a friend (A class rider) on a yz 250 who said he has to work to keep up with me in the woods. And his yz is very fast, and he is a much better rider then me, so the Wr can scoot.

• Some_Guy_In_Wyoming

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:03 PM

Hey, I've got an idea. Depending how enthusiastic she is, and seeing how she does like riding your 03, sell her yours and buy a new 06 for yourself.

• gmoss357

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hey, I've got an idea. Depending how enthusiastic she is, and seeing how she does like riding your 03, sell her yours and buy a new 06 for yourself.

this is what I was going to suggest, not necessarily selling to her though. get a newer tank and seat to give it a smaller feel. I am doing that to my 250 after sitting on an 06 450, it felt like sitting on a 125 compared to my 03 WR.

• Jim_bo

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Dude... I wouldn't do that to her. Making her ride a tank like my 03 when she could have a sweet ride like the 06 would just be wrong.

Jimbo

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.