questions for street legal wr owners

7 replies to this topic
  • rasta

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:49 PM

i own a 02 yz 426 in great condition, want something street legal. is it cheaper to make 426 legal or trade it in or sell it for new wr 450 and make that legal? dealer wants 6,600.00 for new wr.

• RichBaker

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I made my 03 legal for less than $100...but AZ is easy!

• ddialogue

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:52 PM

I made my 03 legal for less than $100...but AZ is easy!

Idaho was super easy too.

Rasta,
If you're going to put lights on it, I think it would be cheaper to sell the YZ and upgrade to a WR. That's what I'd do personally if I were in you're situation. :applause:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted November 16, 2005 - 05:12 PM

You might want to do some searching on the forums, especially the dual sport forum on legalizing your bike in California (if that is where your going to do it). It might be cheaper to buy new. I only spent a couple hundred most to get mine legal but then again Oregon is an easy state to do it in too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted November 16, 2005 - 05:39 PM

BC it was easy too. i did my kit for about $100cdn too.

YZ trans sucks for a plated off road bike!!!!! get the WR.

• rasta

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:41 PM

i am thinking now of just selling the 426 and buying 06 wr, i just wanted the hard hitting power of my 02, but electric start would be nice when i stall at a intersection. i guess all i have to buy is turn signals and a switch for signals. have to do it cheap as possible. i think the lighting coil should be good enough stock i hope. thanks for the advice

• xcape

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:21 AM

BC it was easy too. i did my kit for about $100cdn too.

YZ trans sucks for a plated off road bike!!!!! get the WR.

How did you manage to do that for 100 bucks? :applause:

• GCannon

Posted November 18, 2005 - 11:35 AM

You will never be able to get a plate in California on that 02WR since you missed the January 04 registration deadline to start your paperwork. I don't want to say Impossible but a miracle will be necessary. 06 Wr with the smog pump is eligible for a street license ask around on this forum others have done it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.