CRF450X faster than WR450F?

23 replies to this topic
  • nothingleft

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:36 AM

I am trying to decide between these two bikes (like every other person in here) and came across this post on the Honda forum. Have any of you ridden both and thought the same thing, or if this is just bias based on the forum it was posted in?

"Two of my buddies that I ride with have the WR450(04 & 05). They are great bikes! Good suspension, turning, and smoother power delivery than the older YZ400/426. However, I would not give up my 450X for one. Why??? 1) useable power delivery 2) suspension (especially after FC revalve) 3) rider position. The bike does everything right. I am especially perplexed at the fact that one of my buddies just bought the new 06 WR450. He stated after riding my bike a month ago that it was the most comfortable bike he has ever jumped on and rode. In addition, this person is 240lbs 6'4" and an expert level rider. Imagine what the bike would feel like if it were tuned to his weight and riding style. This test ride of his was pre-FC maybe that would of sealed the deal? Long and short of it all is you can't go wrong with either bike but the Honda gets my vote."

"If you get the X be sure and let your Yamaha riding friends take it for a ride! The look on there faces tells the whole story... Along with the "Holly crap!" they say when they come back. The Suzuki 450 is the same story to, feels like a tired old pony compared to a race horse!"

This is a tough decision and I think price may be the final deciding factor.
Calif. resident - need to be green sticker
For X-Mas I want to go with either Yamaha or Honda for the set.

ME: 2006 WR450F
SON: 2006 TTR50E

Or

ME: 2006 CRF450X
SON: 2006 CRF50F

• clark4131

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Subjective opinions, each and every one. And you know what they say about opinions...I say the bikes are so close to each other that unless you are a factory test rider, you won't be able to tell. The story from the Honda forum is just that, a story. Buy what you want, set it up the way you like and ride. I went with the WR because the Honda valve train is prone to problems and the X is as yet unproven, not to mention unavailable at the time of purchase. The Yamaha 5-valve system is proven to be durable, and the WR was significantly less expensive...SC

• yzkid999

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:57 AM

^^ditto^^

• cr250pierce

Posted November 16, 2005 - 09:14 AM

I have a 450x and my friend has a WR 450. We switch bikes all the time and I can honestly say that there is not that much of a difference between them. They both have more power than you will ever use. Neither bike is what you would call a lightweight, especially if you switched from a 2 stroke like I did. Both bikes will need to be uncorked to run right. Both bikes will run for a long time if you take care of them(ie. Oil and air filter changes). I would pick the bike that you can get the best deal on and have the best dealership close by. I am sure you would be happy with either bike.

• Bamster

Posted November 16, 2005 - 09:33 AM

The Yamaha 5-valve system is proven to be durable,

The key word here is "durable" The CRF's have too many valve issues for me.

• dbailey223

Posted November 16, 2005 - 09:58 AM

I'll take more power from my 03 WR 450! But, I'm used to riding a Husqvarna WXE 610 and TE 570.

• tagger

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:18 AM

I've ridden a buddies X and I would say that ergonomics more than anything would be the deciding factor. The 05 and later WR definitely feel more aggressive and the motor feels more "pipey" than the X - the X kind of made me ride a little lazier. I could own either and be very happy.

• Just034

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:30 AM

I have ridden both and even with durability issues aside I prefer the WR. I was considering both and made the right choice for me. I do think the CRF looks better but the feel is different not better or worse just different. I really like the powerfull hit of my 04 WR but that being said the CRF power is a little easier and more forgiving. On a full out drag race the WR jumps out front between my WR and his CRF.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:00 PM

Go blue big boy. You'll never regret it. :applause:

• CharlesFP

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:15 PM

I've ridden my friend's X. His bike is completely stock. If you don't plan on doing any mods to your bike when you get it, go with the X. In stock form, the 450X runs much better than the WR. Also, something I noticed immediately about the X was the fact that it starts as easy as my fuel-injected street bike. As we WR owners know all to well, our bikes require a slight twist of the throttle while the starter spins to get the bike to fire up.
The X just seems very user friendly.
My WR, however, with the mods to the jetting, airbox, throttle-stop, grey-wire, and exhaust, will stomp my buddie's 450X. I've ridden CRF 450's as well, and they seem slightly less powerful than my WR. The handling of the CRF's is what creates such universal praise. CRF's carry their weight lower than Yamaha's and they seem significantly stiffer, and lighter, even though on paper they aren't. Anyone that dreads Yamaha's progression towards having alluminum frames needs to just ride a CRF for a little while.
A guy I know works for Honda's customer service department. He says the Honda's are plagued with valve issues. Just take a look over at the Honda forum to see how much talk about valve failures is going on. It's a ominous message. Until they get it sorted out, don't get a Honda. Valves are an afterthought for Yamaha owners.
My recomendation: If you don't live in CALI, get the new YZ. It weighs 30 pounds less than a WR, probably handles like a dream, and has stiffer suspension and more power than the WR. E-start is an unnecessary with the Yamaha 450 because it starts so easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:20 PM

As we WR owners know all to well, our bikes require a slight twist of the throttle while the starter spins to get the bike to fire up.

I don't think so bud......
your jetting is off if you have to do that.
You shouldn't touch the throttle at all while starting the four banger.

My bike starts first touch of the button with in a second or two. Your's should be able too.

• CharlesFP

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:48 PM

My friend's 05 has the same problem, as well as my friend's 03. They all require a twist of the throttle to start. My carb has a JD kit installed, but I'm aware that doesn't effect the starting. How do I fix this? Anyone know?

• ARin

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:52 PM

starter jet size increase.

• Matty05

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:52 PM

I just got my pilot circuit sweet and it fires straight up.
My gf's wr250f is exactly the same. One touch of the magic button or first kick if you like.

• new2fourstrokes

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:34 AM

Hey Matty where in oz do you live buddy, coz i live in brisbane. Mate you can come tune my o5 wr and the wifes o5 wr cos i'm stuffed if i can get the ol girl to fire without the little twist...

• JCORMI

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:39 AM

My recomendation: If you don't live in CALI, get the new YZ. It weighs 30 pounds less than a WR, probably handles like a dream, and has stiffer suspension and more power than the WR. E-start is an unnecessary with the Yamaha 450 because it starts so easily.

Thats kind of interesting to me, I have pretty much made up my mind on the 06 wr450 but now I guess I am going to have to read up on the 06 yz450. How would the yz do on tight twisty or in the mud, is it prone to stalling?does it need a ton of mods to act right on the trails? Any body have any positives or negatives.

• patrickincc

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:42 PM

Hondas are great, of course if you dont mind the valve maint. The yamaha is more bullet proof then the Honday. Its all about what you want and how often you want to ride. You can always own one of each, so when the honda is broke you can use the yami.

• nothingleft

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about buying both and then realized it would be hard to sit on two bikes at once. Imagine the power though.

Did you sell that bike yet?

• tagger

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Thats kind of interesting to me, I have pretty much made up my mind on the 06 wr450 but now I guess I am going to have to read up on the 06 yz450. How would the yz do on tight twisty or in the mud, is it prone to stalling?does it need a ton of mods to act right on the trails? Any body have any positives or negatives.

I personally wouldn't purchase a 450 mx bike for twisty/ muddy - you'd be better off converting a 250 two-stroke if you want to go that route (or buy an exc) - besides, you'll get tired of kick starting it, if and when you stall (especially in the technical stuff). If it's really tight stuff, then consider the 250 four-strokes...remember, power isn't your best friend in the knarly stuff, regardless of how much power some guys "think" they need.

Also, my WR started easier than my friend's X - never any issues starting my WR so far

• byggd

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:41 PM

If it's really tight stuff, then consider the 250 four-strokes

IMO this is incorrect, but it's all a matter on opinion. I ride a wr426 in really tight stuff with no problems (I'm sure the Rekluse helps). I had a 250 and it was fine until hill climb time......me at 205 lbs it just didn't have enough to keep up without revving the crap out of it :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.