650L Electrical weirdness

11 replies to this topic
  • churchman2003c

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:59 AM

Ok, I've had this bike for a month and love it- all the usual mods to it. So far so good. But yesterday I noticed the blinkers weren't working and then after about 20 minutes they worked and then nothing- I just heard a buzzz when the right blinkers should be going. Then they worked again but now I notice my brake light is on all of the time. Got home, changed the fuses just to be sure and same problem, but I noticed the bulb in the left front mini-blinker is burned out. Headlight and horn work fine. I'm going to get a new blinker bulb, but can one blinker cause all that weirdness? Or is it a deeper, more evil problem?

• aflick

Posted November 16, 2005 - 09:55 AM

<but now I notice my brake light is on all of the time.>

Is it posible that one of your break switches could have gone bad causing your battery to drain or other weirdness?

alex

• churchman2003c

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:11 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The brake light is only on when the ignition is on.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 16, 2005 - 01:17 PM

look really closely at the wires around the bars, i had the exact same blinker problem, the wire got pinched between the forks and frame, cut both wires that go to the blinker modulator. but sometimes it would connect and work... i couldnt see the cut but i used a tester to find where the break was......found it and easily riped the wires right off, just a little tug.....taped it up and secured the wire so it cant get pinched. the brake light is strange, could your break pedal be stuck down a little bit? or did you adjust it to close so the switch is always on......thats where i would start, try adjusting that switch, its very simple.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 16, 2005 - 01:19 PM

one question i have about the L electronics: ive laid my bike down about 4 or 5 times, if it stalls and i pick it up, there is no power at all for a couple minutes, is that normal? if i can keep it running, i dont experience that problem. anyone have the same thing happen?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:27 PM

No, not normal.
What do you mean 'no power'?

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:31 PM

one question i have about the L electronics: ive laid my bike down about 4 or 5 times, if it stalls and i pick it up, there is no power at all for a couple minutes, is that normal? if i can keep it running, i dont experience that problem. anyone have the same thing happen?

yes, ive fallen off a few times to, it seems to be a problem :applause:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:32 PM

No, not normal.
What do you mean 'no power'?

D

like turn the key on and off, no power at all for like 2 or 3 minutes. no lights at all.

• goblin127

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I've burnt out the tail light before with out a problem with the turn sig. Could you have water in your turn sig. lenses?

• captb

Posted November 17, 2005 - 05:34 AM

I would check ground plug ins and grounds to frame.

• churchman2003c

Posted November 17, 2005 - 07:31 AM

I changed fuses and bulbs so that's ok. I'll definitely check the wiring behind the headlight. I suspect this is where the problem is because the previous owner played around with the wiring up there. I unhooked the spring for the stoplight switch and that didn't help but I'll still check the adjustment. The blinkers and stoplight problems all happened at the same time though, so I will check the grounding also. And no water in the lenses either. Thank you everyone for your help and this is an awesome bike still!

• LotsOfBikes

Posted November 17, 2005 - 10:04 PM

On my 650L recently, I noticed that the brake light micro switch that is actuated by the motion of the front brake lever was not doing what it was supposed to. The brake light wasn't coming on at all. The micro switch turned out to be dirty internally. I cleaned it up and loaded it up with Honda dielectric grease. Works fine now.

If you have one burned out bulb in conventional blinker system, the light that is working will not have sufficient amperage for the bi-metal strip inside the blinker relay to heat up enough and sever the connection. Take the blinker relay apart and you’ll understand how it works. Then replace it with a $5.00 electronic flasher relay from AutoZone, Kragen , or Napa.

If memory serves, the headlight is on its own circuit separate from the horn, blinkers, running light and brake light.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.