yz450(03) cam/wr426, will not start?

4 replies to this topic
  • mark63

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I just fitted an OEM yz 450 exhaust cam and JamesNow mod. It took a few kicks and ran for a minute then stopped. Many minutes of kicking with choke on and off also a bit of throttle (seemed like not enough fuel). It started then back fired frightfully and stopped. No further kicking. Pulled it apart and rechecked timing again, as per all info I have. No noises during hand turning and clearances as Yami book (0.23mm). Prior to cam I turned the air scew out to 1 3/4 and bike starts great.It has a staintune pipe and 2500kms. Is the a jetting or starting issue or have I done something wrong.

• JMathis

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Did you set the exhaust cam in one tooth off from lined up. I know when I did mine the directions said to rotate it one tooth forward from the existing timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mark63

Posted November 17, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Where did you get your info from about the one tooth forward. I would like to compare notes. Do you have a thread I could read. Thanks

• JMathis

Posted November 17, 2005 - 04:55 PM

I pm'd you.

• mark63

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks, it was the same info I used.
I double checked everything, all ok. Did some basics, guess what 1 hour old iridium plug had failed. Stuck in the old CR8 and bang 2nd kick, awesome :applause: .
Never forget to go back to basics :p , but incredible it failed during the first 30 seconds of new cam operation. You can not imagine what has been going thru my mind- bent valves, dented piston. :ride:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.