Need help on landing techniques

18 replies to this topic
  • Mountain Road Madness

Posted November 15, 2005 - 04:25 PM

I need help from anyone who knows the proper way to hit the ground when your bike bails on you. I've tried several different ways to avoid being injured so bad but none seem to work. Is it me or has the ground gotten harder over the years???? :applause: :ride: If anyone has some suggestions they would be appreciated. Thanks!

• BWB63

Posted November 15, 2005 - 04:48 PM

First off you need to take your BRP (Big Red Pig) to obedient school! :lol: If it is throwing you that much it is out of control :p
Suspension, steering stabilizer, fork hight.

I have had four major crashes in the last year so, it does happen! :p
I was doing high speed wheelies across the dry lake bed. I missed a shift but, thought "I can still make this work" well I should have tapped the brake. Looping it in fourth is sooooooo not cool. That was more of an uncontrolled face flop....broken arm. Getting hit doing 60mph at a big Jawbone ride was not very nice either. Cruising along with my cast on and my friend side swiped me. I was riding with one hand and here he comes (Not Looking) from one side of the road, BLam :ride: I did my best to tuck and roll and just got a broken collarbone out of that. Pre-running for the Baja250, I don't know what happened but, at about 70mph I started flopping through the whoops :lol: ........ Broken rib. Don't remember what happened....I think I passed out. Then was setting up a bike after the Baja 250 and (I shouldn't have been riding with the healing collarbone, broken rib and I just got the cast off my arm) landed in a ditch (Just made by the big rains) that wasn't there before. I was flying a long on a fire road...just like a 1000 times before, came over a raise where I pull into a wheel stand and there is a two foot wide two foot deep trench, that I am coming into right on one of the straight sides......as the bike kicked to high side me I let go sliding on my hip.....was doing real well till my boot hit a rock and up and over I went and face flopped :applause: .....not bad till the bike body slammed me and the foot peg broke a rib just under my roost protector. :p So, I took a rest from riding till that healed, now I am looking to get back to where I was :p

• x thread

Posted November 15, 2005 - 07:25 PM

ouch dude .i broke my collar bone about 10 weeks ago and i still cant get the old rythem going .and yes i think the dirt is harder these days !!!!!

• x thread

Posted November 15, 2005 - 07:25 PM

First off you need to take your BRP (Big Red Pig) to obedient school! :lol: If it is throwing you that much it is out of control :p

I was doing high speed wheelies across the dry lake bed. I missed a shift but, thought "I can still make this work" well I should have tapped the brake. Looping it in fourth is sooooooo not cool. That was more of an uncontrolled face flop....broken arm. Getting hit doing 60mph at a big Jawbone ride was not very nice either. Cruising along with my cast on and my friend side swiped me. I was riding with one hand and here he comes (Not Looking) from one side of the road, BLam :ride: I did my best to tuck and roll and just got a broken collarbone out of that. Pre-running for the Baja250, I don't know what happened but, at about 70mph I started flopping through the whoops :lol: ........ Broken rib. Don't remember what happened....I think I passed out. Then was setting up a bike after the Baja 250 and (I shouldn't have been riding with the healing collarbone, broken rib and I just got the cast off my arm) landed in a ditch (Just made by the big rains) that wasn't there before. I was flying a long on a fire road...just like a 1000 times before, came over a raise where I pull into a wheel stand and there is a two foot wide two foot deep trench, that I am coming into right on one of the straight sides......as the bike kicked to high side me I let go sliding on my hip.....was doing real well till my boot hit a rock and up and over I went and face flopped :applause: .....not bad till the bike body slammed me and the foot peg broke a rib just under my roost protector. :p So, I took a rest from riding till that healed, now I am looking to get back to where I was :p

ouch dude .i broke my collar bone about 10 weeks ago and i still cant get the old rythem going .and yes i think the dirt is harder these days !!!!!

• Mescalero

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:34 PM

First off you need to take your BRP (Big Red Pig) to obedient school! :p If it is throwing you that much it is out of control :p

I was doing high speed wheelies across the dry lake bed. I missed a shift but, thought "I can still make this work" well I should have tapped the brake. Looping it in fourth is sooooooo not cool. That was more of an uncontrolled face flop....broken arm. Getting hit doing 60mph at a big Jawbone ride was not very nice either. Cruising along with my cast on and my friend side swiped me. I was riding with one hand and here he comes (Not Looking) from one side of the road, BLam :p I did my best to tuck and roll and just got a broken collarbone out of that. Pre-running for the Baja250, I don't know what happened but, at about 70mph I started flopping through the whoops :p ........ Broken rib. Don't remember what happened....I think I passed out. Then was setting up a bike after the Baja 250 and (I shouldn't have been riding with the healing collarbone, broken rib and I just got the cast off my arm) landed in a ditch (Just made by the big rains) that wasn't there before. I was flying a long on a fire road...just like a 1000 times before, came over a raise where I pull into a wheel stand and there is a two foot wide two foot deep trench, that I am coming into right on one of the straight sides......as the bike kicked to high side me I let go sliding on my hip.....was doing real well till my boot hit a rock and up and over I went and face flopped :ride: .....not bad till the bike body slammed me and the foot peg broke a rib just under my roost protector. :lol: So, I took a rest from riding till that healed, now I am looking to get back to where I was :lol:

You sir, are a mess.

I resemble that waaaaay too much. :applause:

• goblin127

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:43 PM

maybe watch some old clips of Evil knievel crashing.

• FOUR STOKED

Posted November 16, 2005 - 01:06 AM

Roll, tuck, slide, who knows? You literally don't have time to think about it. :ride: I generally try to get away from the bike when I reach the point of no return and try to miss non-moving obstacles like trees, cars, and fence posts. Then I try to absorb as much energy as I can with my arms and legs. Beyond that, wear as much protective gear as you can. The rest is up to God :applause:

• TimBrp

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:59 AM

Tuck N' Roll always works for me.

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:04 AM

Tuck N Roll isn't that upholstery? :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:29 AM

You're a lot of help. :p

• ghoti

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:31 AM

I need help from anyone who knows the proper way to hit the ground when your bike bails on you. I've tried several different ways to avoid being injured so bad but none seem to work. Is it me or has the ground gotten harder over the years???? :applause: :ride: If anyone has some suggestions they would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm going with global warming making the ground harder, definately not me getting old. Sounds like you need to slow down some. :p

• jake28

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:56 PM

When you you are going to crash, time passes suprisingly slowly. Your instinct is to take it like a cannon ball, bad idea. Always stay loose, and in theory your body will absorb a good deal of the energy produced by the crash. If you are with your bike, just rememebr to keep on the gas because a lowside is much more pleasant than a highside. Also, if you're more or less upright, land on your feet and immediately collapse, again your body will absorb most of the impact.
I say this as a rider, a skier, a goalie, and a former BMXer and skateboarder.
Falling is inevitable, if you can accept that as a fact of life, you'll be fine.

• Fordskin

Posted November 17, 2005 - 02:54 AM

I think you should practice by jumping out of moving trains and buses. Do it enough and you will get good at it. Ever heard of Jackass. :applause:

• al_piv

Posted November 17, 2005 - 03:50 AM

My ktm use to be that way, the rear end use to hit me in the azz with every log crossing and every attempt to clear a ditch. It also use to push in the front end.
I rebuilt the suspension several time, trial and error. Yet once dial in it is so sweet!
Spend the time and $$ and you will love the BRP even more.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:06 AM

Ok, right out of the gate, lets get this straight.
Your bike doesnt bail on you, you bail on the bike. The motorcycle only does what you tell it to do. Learning to talk to your motorcycle will enhance your moto-relationship immensely. The only way to learn to speak moto is to immerse yourself in moto.

But once you part from your scoot unintentionally, all bets are off. Best riders in the world hit the ground just as ungracefully as the rest of us. The difference is how tough or how fit and usually its both. I forget what the guys name was, but back in the 60's this guy fell off about half way through the Daytona 200 and broke his collar bone, got up, fired the bike and raced back up from the back and finished third or something, with a broken collar bone. Thats tough...

• malibuskier

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:15 PM

I have had four major crashes in the last year so, it does happen!
I was doing high speed wheelies across the dry lake bed. I missed a shift but, thought "I can still make this work" well I should have tapped the brake. Looping it in fourth is sooooooo not cool. That was more of an uncontrolled face flop....broken arm. Getting hit doing 60mph at a big Jawbone ride was not very nice either. Cruising along with my cast on and my friend side swiped me. I was riding with one hand and here he comes (Not Looking) from one side of the road, BLam I did my best to tuck and roll and just got a broken collarbone out of that. Pre-running for the Baja250, I don't know what happened but, at about 70mph I started flopping through the whoops ........ Broken rib. Don't remember what happened....I think I passed out. Then was setting up a bike after the Baja 250 and (I shouldn't have been riding with the healing collarbone, broken rib and I just got the cast off my arm) landed in a ditch (Just made by the big rains) that wasn't there before. I was flying a long on a fire road...just like a 1000 times before, came over a raise where I pull into a wheel stand and there is a two foot wide two foot deep trench, that I am coming into right on one of the straight sides......as the bike kicked to high side me I let go sliding on my hip.....was doing real well till my boot hit a rock and up and over I went and face flopped .....not bad till the bike body slammed me and the foot peg broke a rib just under my roost protector. So, I took a rest from riding till that healed, now I am looking to get back to where I was

Of all my scars..........I like the ones from my BRP the best.....

• malibuskier

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:16 PM

i dont think i copied that correctly...........................

• malibuskier

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:17 PM

sorry BWB63

• roadcam

Posted November 17, 2005 - 01:23 PM

awwww, finally, a thread I should be an expert on .... BUT, I still get hurt when I crash and burn, so I guess I don't have it perfected yet, after all ... :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.