What would you guys do?

10 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted November 15, 2005 - 09:18 AM

I ordered an OEM top end kit last month but it was on back order. I waited like 3 weeks and it still didn't come in. I didn't feel like waiting anymore so I got a Wiseco top end kit from another shop. I cancelled the the OEM kit and told them to forget it since its takin so long. Anyways the OEM never cancelled and both showed up the same day last week. I have always hated and had bad luck with wiseco on my 2 strokes. Alot of people have told me that Wiseco's have worked well for them on there 4 strokes. I have also posted awhile back on the same topic and its seems that Wiseco's are OK for the thumpers.

I would still need to get rings for the OEM kit, I don't know why they didn't come with them :applause: Anyways which kit should I send back, OEM will be like $25 more after I but the rings :ride:

• 642MX

Posted November 15, 2005 - 04:38 PM

I've had good luck with Wiseco. I probably send back the OEM.

• FlashGordon

Posted November 15, 2005 - 09:08 PM

I went with the Wiesco this past spring in my 99 YZ400f. Seems to be fine. I ride every weekend 20-60 miles, so it has enough miles on it to look reliable. On the otherhand, the OEM had 6 years on it, and ring gap and compression were still good. Had to replace a stretched cam chain, so did the piston rings and pin while I was in there.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I put a 3-ring wiesco in my WR450 and my DRZ 436. No issues after 1 year of riding and racing...

• dunecj2a

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:06 AM

OK, thanx fella's :applause: Yeah I've heard nothin but good stuff about Wiseco for thumpers. The wiseco is a little lighter, and actually looks to be made a little more precise :ride: I'll put it in tonight.

Should I replace my cam chain while I'm in there? 18 months of use. Any way to tell if that thing is worn out or stretched?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Dune,
How many hours on the bike in the 18 months of use? Check the manual for cam chain tolerances. I believe someone here dod a thread on cam chain replacement intervals a while back. Try a search with "YZxxx Cam chain replacement" as the search topic. Some of these guys here will know. I am never disapointed in getting help here.

Bill

• dunecj2a

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Dune,
How many hours on the bike in the 18 months of use? Check the manual for cam chain tolerances. I believe someone here dod a thread on cam chain replacement intervals a while back. Try a search with "YZxxx Cam chain replacement" as the search topic. Some of these guys here will know. I am never disapointed in getting help here.

Bill

Hey Bill
I've got probably 100 hours on it. All MX and dune riding. The Dune's are hard on a motor and I usually go to Glamis every other w/end once halloween hits. Thats pretty much why I wanted to do the top end. I could afford it now also.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:22 AM

The chain is $17. Replace it. You should think about changing your valve springs ($40), too, as long as it's opened up.

• Florida_426

Posted November 16, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Dune,
I can't offer anything better than Grayracer's reply.

Bill

• dunecj2a

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:33 AM

The chain is $17. Replace it. You should think about changing your valve springs ($40), too, as long as it's opened up.

Do I need a valve spring compressor to do that? The valves haven't budged at all since I bought. It has been in specs everytime.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:59 AM

Yes, a compressor of some kind is needed. You can "jerry" something together with a 'C' clamp and use a chunk of PVC for a spring adaptor, or just find the local machine shop your dealer uses to do their valve jobs and have them do it. Valve springs are not necessary, per se, but like the chain, they're cheap insurance against a really big problem.

A word of caution to those doing this themselves: DO NOT pull the valves down in the seals far enough for the retaining grooves in the stem to drop into th seal unless you plan on replacing the seal. There is a risk of damaging the seal with the edges of the keeper grooves unless the stem is covered by a seal protector.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.