Team Yamaha 06 Supercross news - 450

12 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 15, 2005 - 05:00 AM

Good news - I expected anyway. And for you doubters on the cornering ability of the 06.........

SUPERCROSS - Yamaha To Race Four-Strokes
Posted By Paul Carruthers
Done Deal 11/14/2005

The following release is from Yamaha...

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA is proud to announce the Factory Race Team for the 2006 World Supercross Series. Returning racers Heath Voss and Chad Reed begin their Supercross title hopes on December 3rd in Toronto, Canada. In a modern-era first, the Factory Yamaha Team will race exclusively on four-strokes as Voss and Reed will sit behind the starting gate in Toronto on YZ450Fs.

Heath Voss, with four-stroke Supercross experience and a World Supercross title under his belt, had an easy time adapting to the new YZ450F. “My bike was a workhorse last year but this year’s bike corners tighter and feels more like a 250,” explains Heath Voss. “I’ve been training in Texas for months; I’m faster on the new bike and want the season to start today.”

Chad Reed faces a new challenge in the 2006 Supercross Championship racing four-strokes in the premier class. Reed won the 2002 SX Lites title on the four-stroke YZ250F then raced the past three years and won the AMA Supercross Championship on the YZ250 two-stroke. “I rode the 450F at a photo shoot back in May and could instantly feel the improvements; I thought about racing it indoors ever since,” explains Chad Reed. “There are sections on the track where the four-strokes just rip and we feel this is the best race weapon indoors or out.”

Look for the #13 of Heath Voss and #22 Chad Reed and the Factory Yamaha 2006 YZ450F at the World Supercross Series on December 3rd.

yes I realize they probably will have different offsets for the triple clamps....they always do.... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2005 - 09:27 AM

yes I realize they probably will have different offsets for the triple clamps....they always do.... :applause:

Heck, they'll probably have a different set on every rider's bike. If I had that kind of money to work with and guys like that riding my stuff, I'd give them whatever they asked for, too.

• SCIENCE

Posted November 15, 2005 - 10:45 AM

I gotta think that Reedy will run the 450 in Canada & make a determination as to which he'll ride in the AMP'D Mobile SX (the Real Series/WSX is a joke IMHO). Watch RC as well. I think he's in all their heads regarding 2stroke/4stroke.
The factory 2 strokes are still clearly better for SX.

• DPW

Posted November 15, 2005 - 10:58 AM

The factory 2 strokes are still clearly better for SX.

Clearly??? K-Dub gave CR a tough time in 2004, there sure are a lot of CRF450Rs out there

• SCIENCE

Posted November 15, 2005 - 11:42 AM

Clearly??? K-Dub gave CR a tough time in 2004, there sure are a lot of CRF450Rs out there

Take out the supposed illegal fuel penalty and Reed outpaced KDub by quite abit in 2004. Nothing against KDub or 4strokes, the SX tracks are better suited for 2 strokes when it comes to the top talent (RC, Reedy, JBS & I would include KDub in this mix) Fourstrokes rule for the next level guys on down as the start is ultra important (look no further than Hamblin - put him on a 450F last year and he's most likely top 10).

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2005 - 01:40 PM

the SX tracks are better suited for 2 strokes when it comes to the top talent

How do you square that statement with Chad Reed's?:

“I rode the 450F at a photo shoot back in May and could instantly feel the improvements; I thought about racing it indoors ever since,” explains Chad Reed. “There are sections on the track where the four-strokes just rip and we feel this is the best race weapon indoors or out.”

Just talking the company line, I suppose. No, the two strokes are not clearly better. Not any more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Open_Class

Posted November 15, 2005 - 01:44 PM

so what is going on with Red Dog (Timmy). I have not seen anything regarding SX for Tim in 06?

Anyone know? I really like that guy, and he was the sole 4-stroke champion for quite a while.

• DPW

Posted November 15, 2005 - 01:53 PM

so what is going on with Red Dog (Timmy). I have not seen anything regarding SX for Tim in 06?

Anyone know? I really like that guy, and he was the sole 4-stroke champion for quite a while.

I heard he was going to be on the Motoworld Team

• TimFurryBalls

Posted November 15, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Tim Furry (I mean Ferry) used to be my hero! He's a big let down. Supposedly Bailey told me he's happy with what he's got. House, money, family, etc. Add to that a couple of injuries. . . basically Ezra Lusk syndrome. I must point out however, that ever since T.F. went to the two stroke, and I believe he tried at one of the '02 or '03 SX rounds and wiped out, he's never been the same. I was a hard core T.F. fan and Yammie rider back then, so I know. Tim rode so much faster and smoother on the 4-stroke. Oh well. :applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 15, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Tim Furry (I mean Ferry) used to be my hero! He's a big let down. Supposedly Bailey told me he's happy with what he's got. House, money, family, etc. Add to that a couple of injuries. . . basically Ezra Lusk syndrome. I must point out however, that ever since T.F. went to the two stroke, and I believe he tried at one of the '02 or '03 SX rounds and wiped out, he's never been the same. I was a hard core T.F. fan and Yammie rider back then, so I know. Tim rode so much faster and smoother on the 4-stroke. Oh well. :ride:

This would have been my guess to...He was my hero at one time....but his injuries have either forced retirement or lower level team....Ezra just play rides and does an occasional school here in Ga. His brother Shane is recovering from a broken back/neck injury and has quit racing for college - FSU I think.
Anyone remember Jimmy Button? He was fast back then to until his career ending injury.... :applause:

• SCIENCE

Posted November 15, 2005 - 02:40 PM

How do you square that statement with Chad Reed's?:

“I rode the 450F at a photo shoot back in May and could instantly feel the improvements; I thought about racing it indoors ever since,” explains Chad Reed. “There are sections on the track where the four-strokes just rip and we feel this is the best race weapon indoors or out.”

Just talking the company line, I suppose. No, the two strokes are not clearly better. Not any more.

Reedy is definitely toeing the Company Line. Of course he's going to say good things about the '06. Yamaha is so late to market that they need him to speak well of it as well as ride it in Canada. They need to sell motorcycles! There is a good chance he will win one or both on the thumper. I still say it remains to be seen what he lines up on at A1. As well, RC, Reedy and JBS can win on either, but I think each of them feel (& know)that the 2 stroke is better for the majority of the SX tracks. It would be really cool if they switched back & forth - fourstrokes on the hardpack - two strokes back east.

There is no question that four strokes rule outdoors.

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I knew you'd say that.

• Open_Class

Posted November 15, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Reedy is definitely toeing the Company Line. Of course he's going to say good things about the '06. Yamaha is so late to market that they need him to speak well of it as well as ride it in Canada. They need to sell motorcycles! There is a good chance he will win one or both on the thumper. I still say it remains to be seen what he lines up on at A1. As well, RC, Reedy and JBS can win on either, but I think each of them feel (& know)that the 2 stroke is better for the majority of the SX tracks. It would be really cool if they switched back & forth - fourstrokes on the hardpack - two strokes back east.

There is no question that four strokes rule outdoors.

I believe that the only advantage to the 2-stroke was weight. The 4-stroke pulls harder out of corners making obstacles easier to clear, Pulls harder making obstacle to obstacle easier to clear as well.

If the 250F is superior to the 125 2-stroke, then given no weight dissadvantage would not the 450F be superior to the 250 2-stroke.

And I assure you none of the factory guys are going to race a bike they do not feel they are the fastest on.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.