Really stiff clutch

2 replies to this topic
  • kizzle426

Posted November 14, 2005 - 02:44 PM

Is anybody elses clutch insanely hard to pull and engage? The clutch works just dandy but the lever is SUPER hard to pull in. When I first got it, I lubed my clutch cable and that made it only a little easier to pull. Has anybody had this problem as well? Do I need a new cable? The bike is in my sig.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bxrjim

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:41 PM

I took my cable on my 426 and rerouted it by the radiator and followed the frame to take out as much of the turns and bends in the cable as I could. That helps a bit. Then I bought one of those MSR Raptor adjustable clutch levers that have the three different holes you can put the cable in. Now that made a big difference if you know the product I'm talking about.

Try those and lube it again and you'll be happy! :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:32 PM

two tips...if you do them will have a clutch that is as easy to pull as a YZ125.

First, do the lever mod. It's a easy and fast to do...and CHEAP :applause:

Second, go to Yamaha and buy a clutch actuator arm for a 1998 YZ400F (about $36). Install in on your 426.

And lastly, lube the cable really well.

After doing these will love it!

Actuator Mod and Lever Mod post on ATM

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.