Ride report: 22.5mm clamps

10 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Having now ridden the bike with the new 22.5mm offset clamps by Applied in 3 different places, I have more or less sorted out my thoughts on them.

I rode them at McCain Valley (DG soil ranging from packed to coarse sand, lots of trails with fast, bermmed serpentine sections and technical trails), Superstition (desert, ranging from hard pack to dunes), and at the Elsinore GP (hard pack, clay, powder, rocks, mud, and pavement).

There is no doubt that moving the fork back cures the reluctance to turn and gets rid of the "top heavy feel" the bike has been known for. The steering now has an overall light feel, and can be flipped through a series of 'S' turns much more easily than before. It turns in at will whether initiating a turn or in the middle of one, and the front bites unbelievably hard with any kind of traction. It will take inside or outside lines or change between them aggressively, and has much less tendency to push the front.

There is a trade-off, though. The bike has lost a lot of the solid stable feel at speed that the YZF is also known for, and now feels a nervous and unsettled when I'm going fast in sand or rough terrain. I countered this some by running the forks down to flush (they had been 5mm up, at the first line) and increasing the sag from 100mm to 105mm. That seems to have helped a little without detracting from the benefits noticeably, but it still has the occasional "scary moment" in the whoops or sand. The front often feels as though it could easily tuck in if I'm not paying enough attention, but it also feels like it will go anywhere I want it to without hesitation or effort. A bit odd, really. The feel is something like taking all the steering effort and feedback out of a Corvette.

Overall, I think I like the way it turns enough to put up with the negatives, but I think I'd be happier with 23mm or so. Maybe a stabilizer would help. If you ride SX, or MX on mostly tight courses, or anywhere that the ability to carve up corners is at a premium, this is something you'll like. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who rides mostly desert or desert races, and I don't think it's a good idea for a less experienced rider. But it absolutely turns better than it did. Of that, there is no question.

• gmoss357

Posted November 14, 2005 - 12:28 PM

Hmmm, sounds like my stock KTM. I bet they would work great on my WR for the woods. :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 12:35 PM

the emigs are 23mm and i noticed none of the instability you mentioned,are you past your satisfaction return date?

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:07 PM

Bob,

The date wouldn't matter. I tried Emig first, and they did not have a set of offsets for the 48mm forks I have. That was why I went to Applied.

They aren't bad, exactly, I just think at this point that 23 or 23.25 would be better. It's really a surprise that such a small change in the geometry makes such a difference. It's .060", after all.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:33 PM

ya the difference is amazing. just talked to emig and they are out of the 04-05 48's and are not making more :ride: said they're moving on to the 06's which are different. they still had some for 46's :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thom_McNabb

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:42 PM

What is the stock offset?

How does the change in offset affect steering geometry?

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2005 - 02:57 PM

What is the stock offset?

How does the change in offset affect steering geometry?

Stock is 24mm, unless I'm mistaken. I've also heard 25mm.

Changing the offset changes trail. Trail is the distance between the point where the steering stem axis intersects the ground and the point at which the tire contacts the ground.

• Satch0922

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:23 PM

good write up Gray! :applause:

• mj2412

Posted November 15, 2005 - 06:26 AM

Hello, stock is 25mm. I build my own and it fits with 25mm offset.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 15, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Having now ridden the bike with the new 22.5mm offset clamps by Applied in 3 different places, I have more or less sorted out my thoughts on them.

I rode them at McCain Valley (DG soil ranging from packed to coarse sand, lots of trails with fast, bermmed serpentine sections and technical trails), Superstition (desert, ranging from hard pack to dunes), and at the Elsinore GP (hard pack, clay, powder, rocks, mud, and pavement).

There is no doubt that moving the fork back cures the reluctance to turn and gets rid of the "top heavy feel" the bike has been known for. The steering now has an overall light feel, and can be flipped through a series of 'S' turns much more easily than before. It turns in at will whether initiating a turn or in the middle of one, and the front bites unbelievably hard with any kind of traction. It will take inside or outside lines or change between them aggressively, and has much less tendency to push the front.

There is a trade-off, though. The bike has lost a lot of the solid stable feel at speed that the YZF is also known for, and now feels a nervous and unsettled when I'm going fast in sand or rough terrain. I countered this some by running the forks down to flush (they had been 5mm up, at the first line) and increasing the sag from 100mm to 105mm. That seems to have helped a little without detracting from the benefits noticeably, but it still has the occasional "scary moment" in the whoops or sand. The front often feels as though it could easily tuck in if I'm not paying enough attention, but it also feels like it will go anywhere I want it to without hesitation or effort. A bit odd, really. The feel is something like taking all the steering effort and feedback out of a Corvette.

Overall, I think I like the way it turns enough to put up with the negatives, but I think I'd be happier with 23mm or so. Maybe a stabilizer would help. If you ride SX, or MX on mostly tight courses, or anywhere that the ability to carve up corners is at a premium, this is something you'll like. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who rides mostly desert or desert races, and I don't think it's a good idea for a less experienced rider. But it absolutely turns better than it did. Of that, there is no question.

Good report - I would think these would be good for MX and eastern woods riding......
Curious on the difference / advantage of clamps vs new link.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:42 AM

While you wouldnt think it so, changing the clamp really affects the clicker settings. Some of that nervousness can be quelled with the clickers. I had a shorter clamp on my YZF back in the day (I dont remember what it was) and when I made the change I was out in left field with my clickers. I spent a day re-dailing them in but I got it and it was better over all...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.