Rekluse and hard shifting...

17 replies to this topic
  • LJ

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Rekluse and hard shifting

I just got done installing the Rekluse with the perch adjuster (clutch over-ride) in my '99 YZ 400 and took it for a quick run down the street and back just to make sure it was okay before I went out to the local riding spot.

One thing I noticed was it was hard to shift between 1st and 2nd. I was wearing tennis shoes and I was on the street, so maybe that's why it felt a little notchy.

I adjusted the perch adjuster per the instructions: reved the engine past 4500 rpms and adjusted the clutch lever adjuster so there was about .5" of travel at the end of the lever. The clutch doesn't drag and seemed to work pretty good accept the hard shifting.

Anybody noticed hard shifting with their Rekluse?

Thanks for the replies!

• 642MX

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Give your clutch some time to break in. Mine had a few quirks until it got a few hours on it. Remember to check your installed gap after a couple of hours.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 14, 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hard shifting with the rekluse may mean you have too tight an install gap.
Make sure you are on the high side of the install gap. Warm up the oil and engine before evaluating the shifting. User the overide clutch if down shifting from high rpm. :applause:

• LJ

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:14 PM

I'm on the lower end of the install gap. If I remember, it should be .035" on the low end I'm like .038" or so. I rationalized that it's better to be a little tighter because the clutch will open up as it wears. However, if it gets hot, maybe it could be too tight? Maybe I should try to open it up the install gap like you said...

• byggd

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:38 PM

I'm on the lower end of the install gap. If I remember, it should be .035" on the low end I'm like .038" or so. I rationalized that it's better to be a little tighter because the clutch will open up as it wears. However, if it gets hot, maybe it could be too tight? Maybe I should try to open it up the install gap like you said...

I set mine on the tight side as well figuring as the plates wear it will increase and it works very well once warmed up. Also, Rekluse recommends the light spring on the perch for trail riding but IMO the heaver one works much better :applause:

• LJ

Posted November 28, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Update:

Took the bike out this past Turkey day and had an absolute blast with the new Rekluse clutch. Nasty rooted rutted steep uphills are so easy now, it's cheating.

I broke in the clutch per the manufacturer's instructions (10 stops after in first gear after reving up to 4000 rpm, then 10 stops reving up to 6000 rpm, and then rode for 20 minutes) and now it shifts no problem. Breaking in the clutch made all the difference in shifting. I also had to re-shim with one their .055 clutch plates to get in between the .030 and .042 install gab window after the 20 minute breakin.

Fun fun...

• 642MX

Posted November 28, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Glad you like it. It is like cheating, the harder the trail....the better it works.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 28, 2005 - 02:27 PM

Took the bike out this past Turkey day and had an absolute blast with the new Rekluse clutch. Nasty rooted rutted steep uphills are so easy now, it's cheating.

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :applause: :ride: :p
If everyone finds out you may lose your riding advantage with your buddies! :p :lol: :p

• ddialogue

Posted November 28, 2005 - 05:13 PM

If everyone finds out you may lose your riding advantage with your buddies! :p :lol: :p

That's what happened to me, Indy!! :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted November 28, 2005 - 05:25 PM

Dave you are still the fastest desert guy I have ever seen! :p Your brother Dan is no slouch either! :applause: Must be genetic! :ride:

• rich1167

Posted November 28, 2005 - 05:30 PM

Too late, the secret is out. Now the real trick. Tell me how I get $400+ out of my wife for an upgrade for a new bike I just bought for $5000 and already spent $200 on jetting and other stuff. None of this makes sense too her :p

• ncampion

Posted November 28, 2005 - 06:23 PM

You should never let your wife know how much money you spend on you bike! :applause: :ride: :p

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:02 PM

Just get her a 1 carat solitaire diamond for Christmas! :applause:

• minion

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:18 PM

Just get her a 1 carat solitaire diamond for Christmas! :applause:

Phhbbbtttt. Get her a cubic zerconium instead, and save the money for the bike! :ride:

• 642MX

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Too late, the secret is out. Now the real trick. Tell me how I get $400+ out of my wife for an upgrade for a new bike I just bought for $5000 and already spent $200 on jetting and other stuff. None of this makes sense too her :applause:

Heres the trick, take her out and buy her a bike. Thats what I did. My fiancee has a YZ250F, she wanted a Rekluse before I did. And she could really care less on how much money I spend on bikes and tires and accessories. She just wants to ride, trust me bro, this will make your life alot easier.

• clark4131

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:42 PM

I've got a brand new, in the box Hinson clutch with OEM plates sitting on the shelf. The question I have now is whether to install it or sell it and use the money to put in a Rekluse. I wish I knew someone that had one so I could test drive it...SC

• rich1167

Posted November 29, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I wonder if we could get a decent discount from rekluse on a group purchase?

• bvd

Posted December 26, 2005 - 09:10 AM

Just tell your wife you were thinking of building an airplane and it will only cost about $75K... She will say something like; "why don't you just get a new clutch for your bike or somthing!?" hehe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.