hand falling asleep

17 replies to this topic
  • mbuck

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:00 AM

Hey guys, my yzf 450 is an awesome bike and so much fun to ride but I can only ride for about 20 hard minutes before my right hand goes to sleep. I've got a stock triple clamp and renthal fat bars. Do I need to get a new triple clamp with the rubber inserts, new bars?..... I had a crf with stock bars before this, and never had a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:49 AM

yep,rubberiz'em :applause:

• bg10459

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like carpal tunnel to me. Mine is getting worse. Don't know the fix, but new bars / different bend may be it.

• scottmotox

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:25 AM

do a search on the health forum, theres some good info. about this

• mbuck

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:30 PM

anybody else?

• RCannon

Posted November 14, 2005 - 02:57 PM

I find that my hand does this if I wear gloves that are too tight. I know it sound obvious, but it makes a huge difference for me. I have to wear gloves that are about two sizes too large.

The cheaper and more wimpy the glove, the better.

• biznet1

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:23 PM

It's carpal tunnel, which restricts blood flow. It sometimes isn't noticeable until doing something like riding a bike. Do you have a desk job?

• Chad76

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:41 PM

Gee funny that. I have just experienced this on my last ride which qas a monster of a ride in very harsh Australian terrain. 200 k's in one day. Half way through it got to the point I could not feel my right hand. Totally numb. I kept pushing myself hoping that it would go away but didnt have much luck.

2 weeks later 2 fingers and my thumb are still numb. Very strange? I didnt have a fall or anything. Maybe I have pinched a nerve? It seems to be slowly getting better, but I notice each morning when I wake up the hand is numb until I start moving around. Strange.....

• biznet1

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:58 PM

Gee funny that. I have just experienced this on my last ride which qas a monster of a ride in very harsh Australian terrain. 200 k's in one day. Half way through it got to the point I could not feel my right hand. Totally numb. I kept pushing myself hoping that it would go away but didnt have much luck.

2 weeks later 2 fingers and my thumb are still numb. Very strange? I didnt have a fall or anything. Maybe I have pinched a nerve? It seems to be slowly getting better, but I notice each morning when I wake up the hand is numb until I start moving around. Strange.....

It is what it is. Carpal tunnel. Google it, you'll see what I mean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdbarr1976

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:11 PM

At 47 I feel your pain. What has helped me is rubber mounting my handlebars then try different grips. Finally when you start feeling your hands going numb, stand up. It works for me.

• sjwr450

Posted November 14, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I have raced a lot this year and riden Baja a few times. 700 miles over 3 days will numb your hand. I run rubber mounted bars (Scotts/Pro-taper). I also use Mountain bike gloves by Specialty that have nerve protection built in. They are unbelieveable. And last I run brass dampeners in the bar ends. I think they are Fastco.

• mbuck

Posted November 15, 2005 - 04:57 AM

Thanks guys. I am an engineer so yes, I have a desk job most of the time. I'm gonna do some more research but I'm also gonna get some rubber mounted bars and some inserts for the bar ends. We'll see if this helps. Thanks again for posting!

• silverlakerider

Posted November 15, 2005 - 05:20 AM

Try taking your hand out to a nice dinner and movie, and buy it expensive jewelry. I bet it won't fall asleep on you again!

• ncmountainman

Posted November 15, 2005 - 05:25 AM

i had a pair of those faastco bar inserts and found no difference,i gave them to 450trailrider,pm him and ask if they've done any good for him. a cheaper way might be to fill the ends with silicone or some such thing :applause:

• LJ

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:30 AM

Try using weight lifting gloves, or anything with a lot of padding in the Palm area, specially around the thumb and index finger. I had this problem riding my mountain bike for long periods of time on the road. The hard grips would pinch a nerve in my and it would go numb. I used weight lifting gloves with the heavy padding and the problem went away. Weight lifting gloves are cheap, so it might be worth it to try it.

• mbuck

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I'll try the gloves also...as soon as I get to ride again. Its been raining for about 3 days straight.

How much are the fasstco bars? Does anybody know?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 16, 2005 - 11:01 AM

over $300 i believe :applause:

• SLO_Rider

Posted November 16, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I recently had the same thing happen to me for the first time, after about 20 min of riding they start to feel numb. I recently switched my bars out, the old ones I had filled with expanding insulation foam the new ones have no foam. The grips are coming off tonight and new bars are getting filled! Just might me the constant vibration causing the numbness :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.