shifting with no clutch

11 replies to this topic
  • denro

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:44 AM

Hey guy's!

I have my 2001 650R for one year now, love the bike. Back into dirt after over 10 years. Use to be a 2 stroker. Here's my question, when I make wheely's with my 650R, I shift with no clutch like in my old day's on my RM.
I'm just wondering if I could dammage my PIG. It's natural to me to shift on a wheely, I guess it stayed in my blood :applause:
So am I going to damage something. Would apreciate your comments.

Thanks
Denro

• Chas_M

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Evidently you missed this long running thread. :applause:

• BIG RED

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:08 AM

practice shifting with the clutch, you just have to pull it up a little higher then it gives you plenty of time for a smooth shift. i can pull up in 3rd and run to fifth using my clutch every time with no problem. i know they shift nice without a clutch but only for so long!

• Tber

Posted November 14, 2005 - 10:41 AM

i don't think you will have a problem. I have been shifting w/o the clutch on everything i have ever had. When i hole shot my brp i just let off the throttle just a little w/ pressure on the upshift. Its the fastest shifting out there

• LotsOfBikes

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:54 PM

On the 650L it is terrible, and should only be done if not on the gas.

I've done it on every bike I've owned too.

XR400, CR500, 600R, 650L, ATK605, XR75, CR80

The only trannies I had trouble with are the XR400 and the 650L

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 15, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Since there is a massive ratio gap between first and second, it will kill second gear like giving an alredy dying pig a 100ml shot of bleach. Thats just for l's though, dont know about them funky r's with their liquid cooling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted November 16, 2005 - 11:25 AM

As long as your not trying full throttle without letting up shifts you'll be ok. Letting off the throttle for a split second is the key. All your doing with the clutch is relieving the load on the trans. You can do that with the throttle and timing with practice.

• BIG RED

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:13 PM

But Y? the clutch isn't that hard to pull! would it not be better to practice being gentle on the trans as opposed to trying to shift without the clutch. i agree if done right the trans really won't be harmed but what about the few times you don't do it right?

• Tber

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:55 PM

But Y? the clutch isn't that hard to pull! would it not be better to practice being gentle on the trans as opposed to trying to shift without the clutch. i agree if done right the trans really won't be harmed but what about the few times you don't do it right?

You shift alot faster, here is an example. It's from my street days but same concept
http://media.putfile.com/no-clutch57

• StevensXR

Posted November 17, 2005 - 12:16 PM

Can someone please explain how the rekluse 'clutch' works then? Thanks.

Steven

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 17, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Can someone please explain how the rekluse 'clutch' works then? Thanks.

Steven

It uses a ball ramp and centrifugal force to drive the pressure plate into the clutch pack. So when you let off the thottle and the rpms drop it freewheels and you can change gears either directlon without the trans being under a load.

Also, some guys add a thumb acutated rear brake with the rekluse so they can do down hills with both feet off the pegs and still control both brakes since there's not much engine braking...

• StevensXR

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:42 AM

But if you are down shifting, aren't the gears under a load from the rear tire driving the gears? And if you wait for the RPMs to drop to near idle (which is where rekluse claims the clutch engages) while up-shifting, isn't that defeating the purpose of the rekluse?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't what you describe be the same as letting off the throttle and shifting up or down, without using the clutch?

Thanks again,
Steven

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.