electric start removal ?'s

7 replies to this topic
  • CharlesFP

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:48 PM

1) What do, exactly, do I do with the wiring after I remove the battery? I've noticed that the bike won't start without it. I've been told to "ground" the wires. I have no idea what that means. I'm a rookie so I need dummy instructions
2) How, exactly, do I plug up the void that is left where the starter motor used to be?
3) Should I get a YZ kick starter? Are they different from the WR part? The WR kickstarter seems pretty minimalist.

If anyone has any helpful pointers for this process, please let me know.

To all the knowlegeable wrenchers out there--you're making life easier for people less adept than yourselves. Thanks.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:57 AM

for one the yz/wr kicker are basically the same. pro-tec makes a billet kicker that is shorter and spins the motor a little faster(i run one) as far as the ground, the neg lead that goes the batt needs to be grounded to the frame(i put mine to the regulator bolt) and after removing the ign switch just cross the wires and it will be always ready to start. i removed a lb of extra wires and crap that was not needed after starter removal. as far as the hole, being from cali you might have a harder time finding one, but a 1-3/8" (i think,you might want to remeasure the hole) expandable rubber freeze plug from a auto parts store does very well :applause:

• stealman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Is there anything else that should be taken off besides the battery, wires and starter motor?

• hybridz77

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Also 03 And 04 Models Have Different Size Kickstart Shaft Diameters (wr)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Is there anything else that should be taken off besides the battery, wires and starter motor?

starter clutch idler gears (behind that round cover) and for a little more zip you can pop off the flywheel and remove the starter clutch and gear,it takes away a little fww,as far as same years the yz/wr kickers are the same 03 then 04-05,not sure about 06's :applause:

• CharlesFP

Posted November 17, 2005 - 11:27 PM

starter clutch idler gears (behind that round cover) and for a little more zip you can pop off the flywheel and remove the starter clutch and gear,it takes away a little fww,as far as same years the yz/wr kickers are the same 03 then 04-05,not sure about 06's :applause:

Thanks ncmountainman. I've noticed that when I kick my bike over, it seems that I am losing some efficiency because of the e-starter and whatever goes along with it, so I guess I will attempt to remove the starter clutch ilder gear, etc.
What should be done with the grey starter button? Can that simply be removed as well?
As far as plugging the hole where the starter was, does it need to be sealed very strong? Is there pressurised oil behind it?
I wish there was a simple kit for removing all the WR e-start stuff. There's a market for it, for sure. I'll bet I'm not the only person who wanted a YZ, but had to get a WR for the green sticker.
Lowedog, are you still out there?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:57 AM

yes starter button can go,but save it in case you ever destroy your kill switch :applause: the case is not pressurized and those rubber freeze plugs tighten in the hole nicely(just make sure its straight as it tightens) as far as a kit? the only thing you need besides tools is a freeze plug :p save all the gears and starter as you can get around $200 for it,if its all working. (or if you wanted to put it back).... also when you look for a flywheel puller 03wr is a different puller from 04-5wr (30mmx1.5 RH ext)for 03, and (33x1.5 RH ext) for 04-5. :ride:

• mach1jonny

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:40 PM

yes starter button can go,but save it in case you ever destroy your kill switch :banana: the case is not pressurized and those rubber freeze plugs tighten in the hole nicely(just make sure its straight as it tightens) as far as a kit? the only thing you need besides tools is a freeze plug ;) save all the gears and starter as you can get around $200 for it,if its all working. (or if you wanted to put it back).... also when you look for a flywheel puller 03wr is a different puller from 04-5wr (30mmx1.5 RH ext)for 03, and (33x1.5 RH ext) for 04-5. :eek:

Mountainman - you seem pretty knowledgeable, do you know if the 2008 wr450 follows the same procedure you described here. My starter just gave up the ghost. Now since I have been riding mostly mx and the starter is $300 fromm bike bandit, I thinking of just removing it. I was told a capcitor has to go in but I don't know where or even if it does.

Thanks in advance for your help.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.