My new yzf450f rides like crap - help!

13 replies to this topic
  • sloslo

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:54 PM

I just bought a new 2005 YZ450F. I have had 2 prior Yamaha 2-stroke 250's. I took my new 450 out today and dumped it. The sad part is that I was only breaking it in. What is up with the front end washing out. I could bury my 250 and it stuck like glue. It seems even the most minor pressure and this one slips. I changed my seat position, feathered the front brake, changed the tire pressure, nothing works. Frankly, its a little scary.

Does anyone know about the effect of changing the height of the forks. At the showroom, I complained about the bike being a little tall. The top of the forks were flush with the clap. The salesman told the prep guys to lower the front a bit for me. Now the forks almost touch the bottom of the handle bars. Did this mess up the handling or are these bikes just a little top heavy. Someone please tell me I am going to love this bike. I already sold my faithful 250.

Thanks, Steve

• Fastest1

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:00 PM

The bikes are best arced in corners not pivoted, constant acceleration on the way out. I run my forks almost touching my bars, turns great. Move back on the seat (though I sit at the seat/tank junction) or let off the brake and start accelerating earlier in the turn.

• kizzle426

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:07 PM

All I can tell you is to set up your suspension to better suit you. I've never had handling issues with mine. I made mine stiff as hell all around and it's a lot better than when I got it. You might want to get a different fron tire. Those Dunlops are horrible in the corners. I'll let everyone else give you different advice. That's all I can say for now as I don't know how your suspension is set up.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Set the sag in the rear first!

Also what tire is on the bike? If it is a 739 get a 742 or 756 front tire.

• flintlock28

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:29 AM

If you have a 739 or 739G up front GET RID OF IT!!

I bought a 2004 Yz 450f also back in May, and I had problems too with that lousy tire up front.

Use a Dunlop 756, and you'll get much better results. Also, make sure your static sag and race sag are set up correctly.

• MichiganMXer

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:59 AM

Try softening the rebound on the forks around 5 clicks. See if that helps it stick. Then play with it a few click up and down to really dial it in.

• Jetsprint2

Posted November 14, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Sounds like the Forks are slid too far up the triple clamps. I have mine only 5mm up and it helped without washing out the front end in a corner. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted November 14, 2005 - 10:37 AM

I have had both a new 03 and an 04.

You have to break-in the suspension first! I found this out the hard way on the first bike. It turned too well, would jump out of ruts to the inside! I also almost lost it in a high speed shimmy on the Glen Helen start straight! The break-in takes about 2 hours of hard riding. For the break-in, make sure the forks are flush with the triple clamp, slowest turning. After the break-in set the sag at 100mm and try the forks flush or at the first line. I run my sag at 100mm and the forks at the 2nd line. The bike turns killer and I have had no high speed shimmy problems. I also like to run the headset a little tight. The 739 front is agood tire for So Cal. However, some of the tracks have been tilling in more sand at times, then the 756 is better. Also, make sure you check the sag periodically. If it goes much beyond 105 the rear suspension will not work properly, bottom out and kick.

• str8away

Posted November 14, 2005 - 01:57 PM

set the sag and lose the stock front tire.

• SCIENCE

Posted November 14, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I just bought a new 2005 YZ450F. I have had 2 prior Yamaha 2-stroke 250's. I took my new 450 out today and dumped it. The sad part is that I was only breaking it in. What is up with the front end washing out. I could bury my 250 and it stuck like glue. It seems even the most minor pressure and this one slips. I changed my seat position, feathered the front brake, changed the tire pressure, nothing works. Frankly, its a little scary.

Does anyone know about the effect of changing the height of the forks. At the showroom, I complained about the bike being a little tall. The top of the forks were flush with the clap. The salesman told the prep guys to lower the front a bit for me. Now the forks almost touch the bottom of the handle bars. Did this mess up the handling or are these bikes just a little top heavy. Someone please tell me I am going to love this bike. I already sold my faithful 250.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

I feel your pain. I rode YZ250's for years and when the time came to switch to the 450, I was fortunate to be able to test ride a couple before pulling the trigger. I decided to go CRF and while it was far from perfect, I was able to get it turning as well or better than my YZ 250's + I liked the 5 speed much better. For whatever reason, Yamaha couldn't get these particualr models '03-'05 to handle close to the 250 2stroke or 250F. You don't have to read to far on this board to see that there are some solutions (Lowering fork, correct springs, sag, new front tire etc), however, it'll never be close to your 2 stroke. Now the 2006 will be a different story. I've ridden the 250F and despite what the mags are saying, it turns very well out of the crate. Couple that w/the all new 5 speed motor and I think it'll be a winner.
Best of luck.

• Butta

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:31 PM

I've got an '05 and don't have any problems in the corners. I have changed to a 756 front tire and adjusted my clickers a little, but haven't changed the position in the clamps at all. I think it's all about what you are used to. Try to get used to the power management of the bike (instead of the 2 stroke power) and I think you'll learn how to corner these awsome 4 strokes a lot better.

• Satch0922

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:39 PM

the 98-05 YZF's won't corner like a 250 2-smoke. That is not to say you can't make them better. Offset clamps, experimenting with tires, fork tuning , sag etc etc will get you where you want to be. The difference is that on the YZF you have to have several things lined out so it works in sync. You slide the forks up but have the sag wrong and it won't work. You can have the sag correct but the forks to stiff so they are riding too high in the stroke and it won't work etc etc etc. While this is true with any bike it is especially critical to have correct set up on the YZF. It can be done...just be methodical and patient.

• Chad76

Posted November 14, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Here is some advice......remove the stock 739 front tyre, dig a hole, take a dump on it, pour petrol over it, light it up, and then fill the hole back in.

I've gone the Michelin S12 front. Its sensational!

• sloslo

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Wow, I really appreciate all the advice on my problem. This site is great!! I am an intermediate rider and am gald to get the help. I spent a pretty penny on the bike and was a little upset after the first couple of rides. A buddy of mine is helping me with the sag adjustment and I have already ordered a new front tire. Looking forward to happily joining the four-stroke ranks with a front end that likes to stay in the dirt.

Thanks again

Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.