decent sand tire?

8 replies to this topic
  • jerry426

Posted August 26, 2001 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent sand tire for this Florida sugar sand? I'd also be using it for trail riding too....but there's a lot of nasty sandy areas connecting some of the trails.

Jerry

------------------
------------------
'01 WR426 - stock for now (except for the throttle stop mod and air box lid removed).

• kmcbride

Posted August 26, 2001 - 05:42 PM

Try Michelin S-12's, nice soft terrain tires that work in a variety of loose conditions.

• PapaSmurf

Posted August 27, 2001 - 03:53 AM

I just put on a set of Dulop 756s. Big improvement over the stockers! I've had no trouble with them. I've also heard that the Michelin S-12s are good, but I'm partial to Dunlops. I ride out at Croom alot so I too wanted something that would stick in the sand AND on some of the harder stuff. They front has definitely been sticking better!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 27, 2001 - 04:12 AM

Jerry, Waste no more time and get yourself the IRC M5B 130/80!!! I ride alot of desert here in SoCal and this tire works VERY well in Sandy situations, It wont be the best tire for other applications but for the soft stuff you cant go wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 27, 2001 - 08:11 AM

Jerry426,

Let's see...you're from Deltona...you're probably talking about riding in the Ocala National Forest?

I ride Ocala EVERY weekend. Take it from me and get a pair of Michelin S-12s. Short of paddle tires, there's no better tire for the DEEP sugar sand we can get down here. They are excellent trail tires for down here, too. And, if you stay off pavement, they should last you a long time.

We meet every Sunday near the intersection of Hwy 19 and CR 445, which is the road to Alexander Springs. Let me know if you want to join us sometime and I'll give you detailed directions to where we park. (Except for the next 3 Sundays--I'm going on vacation to the UK for 2 weeks.)

• jerry426

Posted August 27, 2001 - 08:36 AM

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations! I am installing a new pair of Michelin S12 tires tonight. I don't ride it on pavement very much....except for taking it easy out to a near-by area where I can ride....so hopefully I'll get some decent life from the tires.

Rich in Orlando: I've only ridden the Ocala area a few times (last time was the Alligator Dual-Sport ride on a KLR650, which was pure torture in the sand).....so I'm not familiar with the area at all.....and I'm probably at the novice skill level in the dirt. I do plan on getting out to Ocala after I become more familiar with it. I've still got to buy a trailer too....and a hitch...and too many other things to list. Maybe sometime we can get together out there!

Jerry

------------------
------------------
'01 WR426 - stock for now (except for the throttle stop mod and air box lid removed).

• jerry426

Posted August 27, 2001 - 02:43 PM

Progress report: I got the new rear tire onto the rim after much struggle....only to find out I screwed up the tube and it's leaking. I don't have time to mess with it so I'll be taking the rear wheel somewhere tomorrow for a new tube and remount. I think it was the rim locks that caused me the grief and hopefully the front tire will be nice to me when I try to mount it.

Got the new Renthal "Jimmy Button" high bar installed. It looks good.

Jerry in Deltona, FL

------------------
------------------

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 27, 2001 - 04:01 PM

Once you get your "woods legs", let me know and we'll go riding in Ocala. And if you get a tag for your bike, you've got over 300 thousand acres of forest to ride in unhindered by paved and numbered roads. One thing that surely won't be hindering you is your WR. I don't care what anyone says, once you get the thing dialed in for your weight and the terrain, there ain't another bike out there that can beat it. Make SURE you set your race and free sag properly, then dial in your damping. Once that's done, that bike will fly like you won't believe! After owning my bike for a year and a half (I can't believe it took me this long to figure out) I finally adjusted my suspension correctly last week. It was like night and day. The bike soaks up the nasty bumps with ease yet is still highly controllable and plush on the big woops and deep sand. And your '01 model should be even better. Have fun.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited August 27, 2001).]

• jerry426

Posted August 27, 2001 - 05:10 PM

Rich, as soon as I get the tires installed I plan on setting the rear sag at 3.5 to 3.7 inches and possibly raising the forks up a half-inch in the clamps. Then I think I'll ride it for a while to get a new baseline feel for it...followed by playing with the dampening settings to see where that takes me. Right now, all the dampening adjusters are in the middle of their adjustment range.

Jerry in Deltona, FL

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.