Lots and lots of questions

7 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted November 13, 2005 - 11:36 AM

I just got an '03 yz450f and I rode it for my first time yesterday. It was good but there were some problems. Throughout the whole ride, whenever I would get on it, the rear wheel would spin like crazy and after spinning for like 2 seconds I would rocket forward and have to let off because it would wheelie too high. Then, it kept on stalling when I would just blip the throttle at idle, and then it would be hard to start . Lastly, the rear tire I had on their was like 2 hours old. still had the square edges on it, and the little rubble flaps from the tire mold on it. Well it is practically gone now :ride:. The knobbies are like complete rounded off and it might have another 3-4 hours on it. The guy I bought it from was ginourmous :applause: and he said that he put stiffer fork springs and stiffer rear shock in it. He included the stockers with the bike, and would putting those back in and tuning the suspension eliminate that excessive wheelspin? I have heard different things about the stalling, like: turn up the idle, get a boyseen accelerator pump, but I wasnt sure about the accelerator pump, because I didnt know if it gave more power, because the bike is a bit of handful right now. I dont know what compound tire it was so that might have had something to do it with it wearing out so fast, but I only was able to ride it for like 4 hours and I think it is really excessive that it should lose the edge of the knobbies that fast. My last question is what tire out there is the best compromise between traction and durability (be specific) ? Because there is no way my dad will let me keep this bike if we are needing to buy new rear tires twice a month. Thanks for all your help

• kizzle426

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Okay. I'm betting you're coming from a 125 2-stroke or a 250f 4-stroke. you have to learn throttle control. That's what it boils down to. The '03 has the hardest hit of all the 450's. I put a Maxxis IT on my bike and the knobbies were rounded off after a couple of hours. these bikes have a lot of torque. You just have to learn to slowly roll on. The IT is probably the best you can get in terms of traction and compound durability. It also depends on how hard the dirt you ride on is. The harder it is, the faster the tire wears down. Don't turn the idle up. The accelerator pump will add more hit on the bottom, which you probably don't need. Just learn how to use as little throttle as possible to get traction. also, the faster and more torque a bike has, the faster your tire is going to wear down. That's all I've got for now. Hope I helped.

• flintlock28

Posted November 13, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I definately recommend the Maxxis IT for the rear tire also. Use a Dunlop 756 up front though, as the Maxxis IT is not as good of a tire up front.

THrottle control is very important, you don't need to whack the throttle like you did with a two stroke. It takes a different style of riding which you will get used to. I came from riding 125 and 250 two strokes (16 years ago) to riding a 2004 Yz 450f which I've had since May of this year.

Get the race and static sag set up for your weight...you mentioned the previous owner was really big, so you'll probably have to go back to the stock suspension if your weight is much different. I'm just shy of 6 foot tall, and weigh between 180 to 185 (without gear on) and I find the bike is pretty well set up for me stock. The bike will probably "feel" funny to you because the suspension is set up so stiff, and thus will not hook-up correctly for you.

These are awesome machines, just get her set up correctly and you will love it.

Don

• Fastest1

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:03 PM

I dont agree about the idle, set it up! It will keep you from coasting, or if you do coast it will be fast! It does work to make you faster.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Throttle control may be part of the issue, but not all of it. The '03 has the hardest hitting motor of all the 450's of any year and a lot of people want/need to tone it down a little. The easiest way to do that is pick up a heavier flywheel. I also have an '03 and ended up going with a GYT-R 8oz flywheel. It works wonders for reducing wheelspin and smooths out that big hit.

Familiarity is possibly another issue here. I went from an '01 426 to an '03 450 and the first time out I was like a fish out of water on the '03. I had to ride a few times to become totally comfortable with the '03. It very well could be the bike needs toned down a bit for your taste, but part of it may be resolved with a little more time in the saddle.

As far as tires go, I would also highly recommend the Maxxis IT out back. I've been using them for a couple years now and have been extremely happy with the life I get out of them.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:59 AM

One of the best ways to control wheelspin on the '03 and '04 models, the '03 especially, is adding flywheel weight. This gives the engine a little extra work to do before it can rip the rear wheel out by the roots. At the Elsinore GP yesterday, I had no trouble pulling guys out of corners whether muddy or dry. They spun, mine bit. And yet, on the paved sections, the bike was matched occasionally, but never beaten. It just makes it a whole lot easier and more fun to ride, especially for guys with '03's who are just getting used to it.

In addition, it will help avoid stalling, and it's an easily reversible mod. I recommend flywheels with welded rings, rather than bolted weights, primarily because you can get the same effect out of less added weight, due to the way they're made. Yamaha GYT-R and Dubach Racing Development (Dr.D) sell them. If you go with the Dr.D, you can exchange the flywheel for one of a different weight at any time for no charge other than shipping.

On the tire question, the Maxxis IT wears better than anything I've used, and it's a good tire in most other respects as well.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:11 AM

I just got an '03 yz450f and I rode it for my first time yesterday. It was good but there were some problems. Throughout the whole ride, whenever I would get on it, the rear wheel would spin like crazy and after spinning for like 2 seconds I would rocket forward and have to let off because it would wheelie too high. Then, it kept on stalling when I would just blip the throttle at idle, and then it would be hard to start . Lastly, the rear tire I had on their was like 2 hours old. still had the square edges on it, and the little rubble flaps from the tire mold on it. Well it is practically gone now :p. The knobbies are like complete rounded off and it might have another 3-4 hours on it. The guy I bought it from was ginourmous :ride: and he said that he put stiffer fork springs and stiffer rear shock in it. He included the stockers with the bike, and would putting those back in and tuning the suspension eliminate that excessive wheelspin? I have heard different things about the stalling, like: turn up the idle, get a boyseen accelerator pump, but I wasnt sure about the accelerator pump, because I didnt know if it gave more power, because the bike is a bit of handful right now. I dont know what compound tire it was so that might have had something to do it with it wearing out so fast, but I only was able to ride it for like 4 hours and I think it is really excessive that it should lose the edge of the knobbies that fast. My last question is what tire out there is the best compromise between traction and durability (be specific) ? Because there is no way my dad will let me keep this bike if we are needing to buy new rear tires twice a month. Thanks for all your help

Do you ride MX or woods? How much do you weigh?
You will need flywheel weight - 5oz-8oz depending on your riding places/skill level - this will help with stalling - The 03 is notorious for rear wheel spin....
For Al and Ga here is what works for me on Tires for MX - Michelin MS3 front and rear and MH3 front and rear. The S are softer but last at least a dozen rides and the H is indestructable...
Blipping should not cause it to die....carb needs to be cleaned or rejetted..
Buy a ZipTy fuel screw adjuster
turn the idle up some
Do not ride this like a 2stroke....you must "roll on the throttle" ...... generously.....not too much at the same time...

Meet me at MillCreek sometime and I will help you :applause:

• kawirider

Posted November 14, 2005 - 04:25 PM

thx for the help everybody

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.