Why is the DRZ 400 so popular? 32ppl in forum

22 replies to this topic
  • Kitepilot

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Yeah I wanted an unbiased opinion, they would have said because it is the best bike. I have the 650L and it is a big heavy but powerful bike. I ride probably 50/50 and on the freeway it is OK but what about the 400 on the street? How much less do they weigh? I ride solo alot but am really thinking that when I go off road to buddy up, I am in N. Cal around Auburn area if anyone would like to get together and ride. :applause:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:28 AM

DRZ400's weigh around 250 pounds. The 400 can be thrown around by wind much easier than the L. The 400 has no where near the low end guts of the L. the 400's transmition is not very good on the street, its pretty close ratio. You could never buddy up on a 400, the suspension just isnt made for that kind of weight. I have ridden a 400 for about 5 hours total and i just did not like it, it felt like a sport bike almost, no low end and a pretty powerful high end power band.....it even sounds like a sport bike. the 400 tops out at around 90 where as the 650 will do 110 with out a problem.....so the 400 will work much harder on the freeway. Bottom line is, the 400 is better in the dirt because it is much much lighter, but the 650 is just unmatched on the street.

• zackm58941

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:46 PM

The bottom line is yamaboy has no clue whats going on and the drz400 is a great bike!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:17 PM

well, im not yamaha boy firs of all. I NEVER said the drz400 wasn't a great bike, i said when it comes to dual sports on the street, the 650 is unmatched. I do not like the 400 but i did not say it wasn't a great bike. I have ridden and worked on both bikes! I do know what I am talking about. the 400 is so popular because it is a good trail bike. For some one who has never experienced the pure torque of the 650, the 400 has plenty of power. On the street, the 650 does perform better because it isn't like a feather blowing in the wind and it has much more power. HOW THE HELL DO YOU CAN YOU SAY "I HAVE NO CLUE WHATS GOING ON?"

• zackm58941

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Oh i sorry, you dont like it when someone jumps in and starts talking like an idiot?!?! WOW, maybe you'll learn, prob not though!

Sorry about this Kitepilot, this guy has gone too far with me!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:29 PM

no answer to any of my questions.

• zackm58941

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Im not wasting anymore time with you KID! Its not worth it, your just blowing hot air again, haha.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:58 PM

ummmm i do believe you are the one who started the hot air blowing.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Yeah I wanted an unbiased opinion, they would have said because it is the best bike. I have the 650L and it is a big heavy but powerful bike. I ride probably 50/50 and on the freeway it is OK but what about the 400 on the street? How much less do they weigh? I ride solo alot but am really thinking that when I go off road to buddy up, I am in N. Cal around Auburn area if anyone would like to get together and ride. :applause:

Are you talking about the DRZ400S Dual sport bike or the DRZ400E dirt bike? Neither bike is a feather weight. But the S model DRZ is about 25 lbs lighter than the XRL (if my memory serves me correctly). On the road nothing replaces cubic inch displacement. The XRL will win out. Off road the S model is a handful but more agile than the XRL and it has a more modern engine which may account for its popularity as a dual sport bike. The DRZ E model dirt bike handles very well off road and makes for a good trail and desert bike.

Personally I would own either one and be happy but if I were going to spend more time on the road than off I would go with the XRL.

• Mark_Bear

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:57 AM

I had the same question before I bought my 650r, The Suzuki was about $8000 Oz and the Honda $10000+ (That's Aussie dollars guys!!!) Both come Street Legal from the dealer or Dual Sported as you guys call it. I really liked the 400 and couldn't find anyone to say a bad word about it.

In the end I decided on the R after almost flipping a coin. They are both nice bikes but as everyone here is saying, it really comes down to what you're going to do with it and what you prefer. The 650's of either flavour are better on the road, but that doesn't mean the 400 won't work either.

I would definitely recommend some seat time on one if you can, maybe the differences will be enough for you to prefer one over the other, that is what sold me on the Honda. I do think you would miss the torque coming off a 650 but. I wasn't really fussed about an electric start either, for some that isn't the case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:11 AM

One thing though....'someone' mentioned the DRZ was 250. Not bloody likely. More like 280-300 in full street garb....easy.

• FOUR STOKED

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Mark Bear- Both come Street Legal from the dealer or Dual Sported as you guys call it.

Do the 650R's come street legal in Australia? If so.why not here!?:applause:

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:26 AM

IMO and fwiw, the DRZ-E is so popular w/ trail riders because it's what a modern XR400 would be if Honda would ever make it. reasonably light, low maint, easy riding, decent power, estart.. With some case guards, bash plate etc. it can really take a licking. sweet bike.

The S is popular becuase most of the above still holds true for it, making a strong case for it as the best factory dual sport out of the box. Especially if weight and suspension mean anything to you.

• XRsteve

Posted November 14, 2005 - 11:01 AM

I think price has something to do with it. The Honda is at least $200 more. There is even a bigger difference when buying used, at least where I live. And a lot of people think a 650 is too big. And the DRZ is more "modern" so people think that makes it better. The Honda is old-school, but why change something that works so well?

• malachi

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:31 PM

The S is popular because most of the above still holds true for it, making a strong case for it as the best factory dual sport out of the box. Especially if weight and suspension mean anything to you.[/QUOTE]

couldn't of said it better myself :applause: as of the 16 year old yamaha kid.....stop thinking you know everything...it's getting pathetic..the S model is 291 pounds not 250 :p

I've ridden both, put many miles on both. The DRZ is better in my opinion at everything except highway...BUT the L is still a great bike :ride:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 15, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Do the 650R's come street legal in Australia? If so.why not here!?:applause:

cuz in Australia, all you need is a head light and tail light and hands....if that.

• Mark_Bear

Posted November 15, 2005 - 06:06 PM

cuz in Australia, all you need is a head light and tail light and hands....if that.

You're an idiot......

I'm no expert on this either but this is how I understand it.

Australia have legislation in the form of Australian Design Rules, the legislation details many requirements, lights hi/lo beam headlights, indicators, noise, tyres (tires), spark arresters and chain guards among some of them. We are fortunate to have Honda MPE (Which is separate from Honda itself) as distributors, who go to the trouble of complying certain models so that they come ready to register. The new 450x is modified locally by them and when you buy one you apparently get the old tyres and a box of bits that they take off, it very nearly didn't get a plate here. There are details on the web if anyone wants to do a search.

It is definitely not add lights and go..ffs, it is a thorough process which for some reason is done before purchase here. It makes life easier for us but we do pay dearly for it.

Wr450's (dare I say it) come ready, along with drz400's and all XR and CRF Honda's and probably lots of other bikes which you guys can't get regged.

• BWB63

Posted November 15, 2005 - 07:22 PM

You're an idiot......

I'm no expert on this either but this is how I understand it.

You don't have to be an expert to know that wr450fyamaha is an idiot :lol: :p :applause: :p :ride:

• zackm58941

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:52 PM

You don't have to be an expert to know that wr450fyamaha is an idiot :lol: :p :p :p :p

I hear that one!!! :applause: :ride: :lol:

• blueridge

Posted November 16, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I own an XR650R and a DRZ400S because I couldn't decide which one to buy. The DRZ is great on woods trails and technical stuff, like stream beds, mysteriously so, since it weighs 30 lb more that the XRR. The BRP owns the less technical terrain ... and the pavement. The DRZ, however, is the do-it-all bike. It won't accelerate to 80 mph like the XRR, or do long ascents on pavement at that speed, like the XRR, but the button and agility make it the perfect errands bike that also does trails.

Finally, and this is major, gas mileage. My buddy and I rode a Baja like 43 miles, then 50 mile return on pavement. The DRZ got 54 mpg. The BRP got 24 mpg. That's why you see DRZs, not BRPs, fitted for rides in the outback.

I've ridden the XR650L. It's part of the KLR650/DR650E/XR-L/F650 group of bikes. Great at what they do... not that good off-road (the F650 feels like a DL650 WeeStrom off-road)... a different galaxy from the DRZ and XR-R.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.