Wiring in cig./light plug, power wire form key...

1 reply to this topic
  • bluerock5

Posted November 13, 2005 - 07:07 AM

I want to wire in my GPS so that power is only on when the key is on - which wire :applause: do I splice into and where is it? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kitepilot

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Well you did not list a bike, that would help! But I would suggest that you wire it so you turn off the unit at the unit and not if the power is dropped. Because you are dealing with a computer based program and they should be only shut down by the unit itself. With that said they power consumption is very low for GPS units and I figure if you stop for about one or two hours it wont make a difference to your battery. The units always draw power just as a computer when stored so cutting the power to unit will cause a un-needed draw on the internal battery and it will not last as long. I supplied power to mine all the time and left the internal batteries in the unit just in case I have a breakdown and need to walk out! Just another safety percaution. If you decide to power it all the time at the point of connection place a fuse at that location. I used a spade fuse that will plug right into the flat connectors that you can buy at any auto parts store. Have fun and be safe!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.