Coolant is boiling!

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle scene and even newer to the home maintenance of them. I changed the oil on my '05 WR450 today. after putting all bolts and hoses back together, I ran the motor and decided to buzz up and down the alley a few times. When I returned and shut the bike off, the coolant in the radiator and the rear bottle was boiling! I've never had that happen before. Can anybody tell me why that might happen? All coolant and oil levels are as they should be. I cleaned the strainer and replaced the filter. HELP!! :applause:

That is normal. They will boil really quick if you are not moving. If I let mine sit for more than 3-4 minutes it will boil. Do Not Worry.

Next thing you will notice is the head pipe it glows red.

As far as the cap blowing off in your face. :applause:

Nope.

If the boiling scares you go back to the dealer and order you a highr temp cap.

How long did you idle it for? These bikes don't like to sit. Also, a hot bike is a sign of lean jetting. Has it cooled down in your neck of the woods? If so, you may need to richen things up. Another thing you might want to do is flush and refill with some better quality coolant like Engine Ice or NPG-R. It's not anything that requires the panic button to be pushed just yet. I've yet to meet a WR owner who hasn't had there coolant go aggro on them at least once...SC

Thanks everyone! I've had this bike for a while now...almost a year. It's never done that before but it was sitting more than I was riding. Maybe that's the issue. I sure hope so. I'll try to get the coolant flushed like clark4131 recommended. It's still on the stock coolant from the shop. Thanks again everyone!!

I boiled mine too, it's no big deal... I just pay closer attention to my radiator now than before. I ride the sand a lot, so it's always a concern when you are riding hard, but not going very fast. I'm going to switch to engine ice, perhaps you should do the same... cooler engine = longer time before rebuild! :applause:

as a electrian and 450 owner i fitted 2 computer fans to radiators one each side. i hose down after each ride and so far they have been ok .make sure you get the fans with ball bearings not bushes.A switch mounted on the bars turns them on .I have a digital temp gauge fitted to the spark plug drain hole works ok

56yo aussie trail rider

05,450 rekluse msc

1500 vulcan

tt350

The WR450's do not like short burns and then stop to idle. I often have my bike boiling when riding in Malaysian rainforests. Especially when the mates want to have smoke-breaks every 10 min's. When it happens I just take it for a good ride with air flowing over the radiators. Sorted in 2 minutes! Moral of the story..these things are made to ride at decent speeds...ALL THE TIME!! Enjoy

as a electrian and 450 owner i fitted 2 computer fans to radiators one each side. i hose down after each ride and so far they have been ok .make sure you get the fans with ball bearings not bushes.A switch mounted on the bars turns them on .I have a digital temp gauge fitted to the spark plug drain hole works ok

56yo aussie trail rider

05,450 rekluse msc

1500 vulcan

tt350

Are computer fans 12 volt? :applause: