Wow, no luck with the electrical on my 03 WR450, help please.


15 replies to this topic
  • crashing_sux

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:29 PM

#1

I'm having terrible luck with this thing. When I get the bike it won't hold a charge, after a couple of starts I was back to kicking it. I bought a new battery and life was great for a couple of days, but then I left the ignition button on and killed the battery again. I hooked up a battery tender jr. to the battery and after a day the light was green on the battery tender as if my battery was good, but now my bike won't even attempt to start and stranger yet, the little red light that is supposed to come on when I turn on the ignition (push the on/off button) doesn't come on any more. My bike still starts first kick so it hasn't been a huge issue but I'm a little peeved because I want it to work properly.

Does anyone have any ideas of troubleshooting steps I could take before I resort to taking it to the dealer?

  • Motone82

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:36 PM

#2

I am having the same problem. The battery voltage is 12.4. What gives?

  • OlaGB

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:49 AM

#3

I'm having terrible luck with this thing. When I get the bike it won't hold a charge, after a couple of starts I was back to kicking it. I bought a new battery and life was great for a couple of days, but then I left the ignition button on and killed the battery again. I hooked up a battery tender jr. to the battery and after a day the light was green on the battery tender as if my battery was good, but now my bike won't even attempt to start and stranger yet, the little red light that is supposed to come on when I turn on the ignition (push the on/off button) doesn't come on any more. My bike still starts first kick so it hasn't been a huge issue but I'm a little peeved because I want it to work properly.

Does anyone have any ideas of troubleshooting steps I could take before I resort to taking it to the dealer?


The first thing to do, is to measure youre battery voltage while ignition is turned off..
Second thing to do, is to measure battery voltage with the motor running, with the lights turned ON.. Measure at idle, and at say, 4000rpm..

Now i would like to see these numbers hehe..

  • ETP

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:43 AM

#4

The first thing to do, is to measure youre battery voltage while ignition is turned off..
Second thing to do, is to measure battery voltage with the motor running, with the lights turned ON.. Measure at idle, and at say, 4000rpm..

Now i would like to see these numbers hehe..



Follow this plan. The idea is that, with everything running, the voltage should be over about 12.5 volts. Mine runs at around 13 volts at fast idle with the light on. If it is lower, then either the charging system isn't working, or something is drawing so much power, the charging system can't keep up.

  • crashing_sux

Posted November 13, 2005 - 07:15 AM

#5

Thanks guys, I'll measure it after the ride today. I figured the fact that the little red light even with the battery tender plugged in and green meant a blown fuse or something (do these bikes even have fuses) but checking the charging system certainly can't hurt.

  • WR450F_RDR

Posted November 13, 2005 - 08:50 AM

#6

yes they do have fuses, under the seat near the battery, two of them.

  • crashing_sux

Posted November 15, 2005 - 06:37 PM

#7

It was a fuse, the 10 amp on the right side of the bike. I wonder what could have caused it to fail? I'll carry spares with me in case it happens again, in my experience once a fuse blows it seems like they keep blowing until you figure out what the source of the problem is. Oh well, it's progress, at least my e-start works now.

  • Motone82

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:21 PM

#8

mine was the battery. I put a new Yuasa battery in and it fired right up. Now I just have to figure out if something is draining it or if it was just a bad battery. Brand new out of the box on the bench, it was 12.39 volts. Bike running with lights on it was at about 14.45. Is this normal? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:39 PM

#9

mine was the battery. I put a new Yuasa battery in and it fired right up. Now I just have to figure out if something is draining it or if it was just a bad battery. Brand new out of the box on the bench, it was 12.39 volts. Bike running with lights on it was at about 14.45. Is this normal? Thanks


12.39 volts out of the box sounds about right for a new battery that hasn't been charged in a while. Bike running with lights on at 14.45 sounds a little high for charging, but not too bad. If it charges above 15 volts with the lights off, I'd be suspicious of the voltage regulator circuit.
Maybe someone here knows what voltage is too high for charging a 12 volt battery?

  • Motone82

Posted November 15, 2005 - 08:45 PM

#10

Thanks ETP. I was a little concerned. I dont know if that is what killed the other battery or not. It was supposedly brand new and lasted one day. If I ran the volt meter across it, it said 0.0. I dont want to spend $95 bucks everytime I ride it.

  • crashing_sux

Posted November 15, 2005 - 09:40 PM

#11

So, while I have the attention of a few electrical gurus, is there an easy way to get to switched power on my bike? I have hot grips wired into DC and when I accidentally leave them on they'll drain the battery.

My thoughts on solving the problem were:
1: Replace the high/off/low toggle switch with a lighted switch to keep me from forgetting them.
2: Wire them into AC (the yellow wire going to the headlight switch) but will that lower the available power to my headlight more than wiring it DC?
3: Find switched power DC that is only on when the on/off switch is depressed (the one with the little red light).

Any better ideas?

  • 450high

Posted November 16, 2005 - 02:37 AM

#12

i wired mine up to the on button.I can't remember how, it's been a while but when i turn off the ignition button with the light it kills the grips.Took a while to figure out but it's possible.Post back if you need me to pull the headlight and check witch wires,

  • ETP

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:10 AM

#13

Thanks ETP. I was a little concerned. I dont know if that is what killed the other battery or not. It was supposedly brand new and lasted one day. If I ran the volt meter across it, it said 0.0. I dont want to spend $95 bucks everytime I ride it.


Make sure you're not overcharging that battery. Check the charge voltage with the lights off and see if you can find out what the max charge voltage should be.

  • ETP

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:19 AM

#14

So, while I have the attention of a few electrical gurus, is there an easy way to get to switched power on my bike? I have hot grips wired into DC and when I accidentally leave them on they'll drain the battery.

My thoughts on solving the problem were:
1: Replace the high/off/low toggle switch with a lighted switch to keep me from forgetting them.
2: Wire them into AC (the yellow wire going to the headlight switch) but will that lower the available power to my headlight more than wiring it DC?
3: Find switched power DC that is only on when the on/off switch is depressed (the one with the little red light).

Any better ideas?


Don't have any experience with those hot grips, but it seems like a good idea to wire them to the AC circuit. I think the AC can handle about 20 watts more before it starts to bog down.
These electrical systems were designed for light weight, so there isn't much available power for accessories. Hook it up and see if the AC voltage holds up while running. :applause:

  • WR450F_RDR

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:53 AM

#15

Look at the electrical schematic. I am using a DC circuit on my home brew dual sport kit to operate horn and turn signals. there is a DC circuit that is only hot when the ignition switch is on,tap into it. The little red light helps to remember to turn things off.

  • crashing_sux

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:14 AM

#16

Do you remember what color the wire is? I looked at the electrical diagram but reading those isn't my strong suit.




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.