Rear Brake Light/Baja Designs Brake Switch

10 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted November 12, 2005 - 04:30 PM

Okay, I think it is really funny when a guy is actually working on his bike and something doesn't go right so he runs inside the house and gets on the computer and asks questions here on Thumper Talk.

Well the joke is on me! :ride:

I am attempting to hook up my new Nissin hydrolic brake swith to the tail light to make it a brake light. (03 WR) The rear bulb is a dual fil. and there are three wires running in the harness. A yellow, black and blue. Which two do I splice into to get the light to come on.

Any of you intellects know? :applause:

• gavtheoldskater

Posted November 12, 2005 - 04:38 PM

well, over here in the UK i'm up to my ears in wiring on my '98 wr. so i maybe wrong because i ain't got mine working yet, but my wiring diagram tells me that yellow is live, black is earth and the blue carrys the live feed from the front light to the back.

• TARFELE

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Never Mind the switch is bad. The Brand New switch I received is used and the wires are barely attached.
Thanks anyway.

Does anyone know if the Trick brake switch is better quality that Baja Designs or are they the same?

• TARFELE

Posted November 13, 2005 - 08:02 PM

Last night I started tearing the back of my bike apart getting ready to hook up my brake light. I have a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit off of a WR 426 that I was canibleizing to dual sport my 03. All I needed to get it finished was the rear hydrolic brake switch. After I got everything torn off I opened the envelope and pulled out the switch. Before I even started taking the old banjo bold out I noticed that there was copper visible where the two wires go into the switch. I then looked closer and there was only two strands of wire keeping the one wire attached. I WAS PISSED!
My neighbor came over, he is a Baja Designs customer(reg), and he started looking at it and noticed that there were scratches around the hex nut. It looks to both of us like the switch was used. (possible a return)
Thank God Baja Designs was closed because I probably would have gotten some nice guy who is just trying to do his job. I did e-mail them and tomorrow morning someone will read it and think I am trying to screw them over.
Oh well I am going to see what they will do. My neighbor told me that they are really helpful and are a bunch of good guys. I hope so it is not the $24 it is the point.
I will see

• TARFELE

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I just called Baja Designs sales and spoke with Mike. I explained to Mike what happend and he told me that he would ship me a new switch today. Mike told me that he did not see how a used switch could have gotten mixed up but he wouldship a new one anyway. A few miuntes after I got off of the phone Mike called me back and explained to me that the switches for the WR450 are machined after they receive them and that the marks were probably made then.

Final Point. Baja Designs stood by their product. I will go out of my way from now on to do business with them. :applause: I wish more companies had that attitude.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TARFELE

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:39 AM

Update:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Two weeks later and Baja Designs still has not sent the new bolt. I called and they had no record of another one being sent. ANOTHER one was supposed to be sent out AGAIN. Since then I went to the dealer and they ordered one three dollars cheaper and it arrived in two days.

If I get a new one rom Baja I will just have a spare.

• RichBaker

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:35 PM

It's good to have spare, those hydraulic switches suck...I haven't had one last over 9 months! I went to a mechanical switch and never looked back!

• TARFELE

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Where did you get the mechanical switch?

• Gadsen

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:48 PM

Okay, I think it is really funny when a guy is actually working on his bike and something doesn't go right so he runs inside the house and gets on the computer and asks questions here on Thumper Talk.

Well the joke is on me! :ride:

I am attempting to hook up my new Nissin hydrolic brake swith to the tail light to make it a brake light. (03 WR) The rear bulb is a dual fil. and there are three wires running in the harness. A yellow, black and blue. Which two do I splice into to get the light to come on.

Any of you intellects know? :applause:

OK, make a "T" off of the yellow wire, run one side down to your switch, then run the other wire from the switch up to your blue wire. Black should be a group. This will allow the stop light to only work when the headlamp/tail lamp is on

• Birdie426

Posted December 02, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I don't have to go inthe house...I have a broadband connected PC in the garage...for listening to MP3s, looking at on line micro-fiche, and of course, posting problems on TT

• TARFELE

Posted December 03, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I received it today. This one is much better. Thanks Baja

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.