650 R choke plates

• 2 weeks later...

Starts better ?? You got to be kidding.. With the plate flapper removed it's almost like not having a choke.. Mine started on 2 kicks cold every time with the flapper on, with it off it's more like 10 -12 kicks.. I'm gonna get one of the aftermarket ones or put the thing back on.. :applause:

Starts better ?? You got to be kidding.. With the plate flapper removed it's almost like not having a choke.. Mine started on 2 kicks cold every time with the flapper on, with it off it's more like 10 -12 kicks.. I'm gonna get one of the aftermarket ones or put the thing back on.. :applause:

perhaps you're jetted leaner than the other guys ... that would make yours harder to start without the plate ... :ride:

They're all from CA and probably SoCal. Maybe the diff in temp between there and Arkansas is the reason. Did you just take it off?

I took the flap off my 600R and it was a little harder to start afterwards, but it was only a real pain in the winter. Before the flapectomy it always started in < 5. Afterwards in cold weather it was more like 10. I plan to swap mine (650R) for the solid aftermarket plate sometime this winter too.

I did just take it off and the cold weather starting is much worse, It might not be bad in the summer.. 45F use to take 2 kicks, now at least 10.. I'm uncorked at 68s, 175 with the new needle.. K&N filter and HRC tip.. Started great till I removed the choke flap, maybe a 70 pilot would help a little..

They're all from CA and probably SoCal.

not quite. Read just below my avatar and such. It says Wyoming. Right now I'm at 7,000 ft & ~ 38° F.

45F use to take 2 kicks, now at least 10.. I'm uncorked at 68s, 175 with the new needle
http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

I can't give any sure answer, but it very well could be that your jetted too lean. The last time I jetted for cold weather (haven't gotten around to it yet this fall) i ran it one jet size larger then what the chart suggested and it ran wonderful. Thats one of the fun parts about carbs, you get to tweak and play with the brass until you find something that works awesome, until tomorrow when the humidity changes or the temperature changes and then you have to tweak some more. :applause:

Too bad I can't afford the quicksilver right now :ride: