650 R choke plates

11 replies to this topic
  • southcamp1

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:09 AM

Looking for some insight about changing out the stock 650R choke plate with the upgrade from Precision Concepts. Any tips about how long should it take. Is the stock one that bad. Thanks

• frankstr

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Can't say how long it takes to change, But you should change it :p
There known to break and there's only one place that the pieces are going to go.. :p
I have Edelbrock so i'm not worried about it..... :applause: :ride:

• BWB63

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:42 AM

This is what most do and it works great. Full choke still works (on my bike it started easier like this)

Posted Image

http://www.borynack....r_caruretor.htm

• southcamp1

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info, still on the fence if I should do it or eliminate it or take it in.

:applause:

• jim1234

Posted November 13, 2005 - 01:22 PM

I took the flap off also, no problems . I used locktite on the screws.

• Supplicate

Posted November 13, 2005 - 01:34 PM

I took the flap off as well, and as BWB stated, it started easier afterwards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrhd101

Posted November 26, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Starts better ?? You got to be kidding.. With the plate flapper removed it's almost like not having a choke.. Mine started on 2 kicks cold every time with the flapper on, with it off it's more like 10 -12 kicks.. I'm gonna get one of the aftermarket ones or put the thing back on.. :applause:

• roadcam

Posted November 26, 2005 - 02:44 PM

Starts better ?? You got to be kidding.. With the plate flapper removed it's almost like not having a choke.. Mine started on 2 kicks cold every time with the flapper on, with it off it's more like 10 -12 kicks.. I'm gonna get one of the aftermarket ones or put the thing back on.. :applause:

perhaps you're jetted leaner than the other guys ... that would make yours harder to start without the plate ... :ride:

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 26, 2005 - 04:46 PM

They're all from CA and probably SoCal. Maybe the diff in temp between there and Arkansas is the reason. Did you just take it off?

I took the flap off my 600R and it was a little harder to start afterwards, but it was only a real pain in the winter. Before the flapectomy it always started in < 5. Afterwards in cold weather it was more like 10. I plan to swap mine (650R) for the solid aftermarket plate sometime this winter too.

• mtrhd101

Posted November 26, 2005 - 06:25 PM

I did just take it off and the cold weather starting is much worse, It might not be bad in the summer.. 45F use to take 2 kicks, now at least 10.. I'm uncorked at 68s, 175 with the new needle.. K&N filter and HRC tip.. Started great till I removed the choke flap, maybe a 70 pilot would help a little..

• Supplicate

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:34 AM

They're all from CA and probably SoCal.

not quite. Read just below my avatar and such. It says Wyoming. Right now I'm at 7,000 ft & ~ 38° F.

45F use to take 2 kicks, now at least 10.. I'm uncorked at 68s, 175 with the new needle

http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

I can't give any sure answer, but it very well could be that your jetted too lean. The last time I jetted for cold weather (haven't gotten around to it yet this fall) i ran it one jet size larger then what the chart suggested and it ran wonderful. Thats one of the fun parts about carbs, you get to tweak and play with the brass until you find something that works awesome, until tomorrow when the humidity changes or the temperature changes and then you have to tweak some more. :applause:

Too bad I can't afford the quicksilver right now :ride:

• pigryder

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Buy the choke plate from XRs only, I took mine out and it started alot harder than before, Im from south central PA and too much cold weather here not to have one!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.