just got a new (used) bike 85 600R

9 replies to this topic
  • dwb0804

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:58 AM

I was able to get my old bike back for $300, now i just have to fix the, bent valve, seat, and rear fender.

PICS
http://www.tekcities...ebecca/pics.htm

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:50 AM

An XR seat cover will fit. I had to replace mine on my 83 way back in the day. The fender could be a challenge. An XR unit will probably fit too.

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 12, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Dual carbs eh? How easy does that thing start?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 13, 2005 - 08:33 AM

The thing about the dual carbed bike, well at least mine, it starts first kick or it will take 20. Its really inconsistant. I think Ive figured out a drill, but it makes no sense but it works. When its warm, 1 kick..no start..choke it, one kick..no start, turn choke off 1 or two more, it normally starts. When its cold, choke, kick and away you go..

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 10:30 AM

shes a beast, good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kehale

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:52 PM

I'm thinking you need a new rear tire.

Not sure, though.

:applause:

Nice old machine!
I love my 97. Can't wait to be riding it in 12 more years! (if it lasts that long)

• XR250rdr

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:58 PM

I found that on my dual carb XR it was picky about starting with the wrong pilot jet. Too lean and it would be a bear to start cold even with the choke and too rich it wouldnt want to start hot. The air screw seemed to only affect how well the bike idled

The XR6 duals have a range of pilots availabe, but the 250R carbs do not. Mine was too lean from uncorking so I tried drilling one with a jeweler's drill bit, but then it ended up too rich.

But all in all with the pilot dialed in the bikes will light one kick every time.

• dwb0804

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Its not running now, but when i had it before i could start it fairly easy. It def needs new tires, but i am going to wait and see how much it cost to fix the motor before i get, the seat, fender, tires. If it cost over 500 or 600 to fix the issues with the valves i may just get a newer bike.

How much differance in the way a new xr 650L would ride as compaired with this one, for just riding around town and ocasonialy off road. Would i notice a huge diferance?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:20 PM

I'm thinking you need a new rear tire.

Not sure, though.

:p

Nice old machine!
I love my 97. Can't wait to be riding it in 12 more years! (if it lasts that long)

maybe a seat cover and tail light :applause: :ride:

• dwb0804

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:53 PM

[quote name='dwb0804']I was able to get my old bike back for $300, now i just have to fix the, bent valve, seat, and rear fender.

PQUOTE]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.