Abrupt Throttle Response XR650R

8 replies to this topic
  • ridewv

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:48 AM

Greetings,
I searched but couldn't find much dealing with what I feel I have as a problem. Any advice or tips are appreciated. My 2002 uncorked, but otherwise stock, XR650R is difficult to control at low/off-idle throttle opening. Maybe it's normal but it feels like the throttle is too quick. On the road or fast trails it's not a problem. Where it's bad is when picking my way over rocks and very rough, slow conditions. The *slightest* movement of the throttle causes lurching which causes another movement of the throttle which causes lurching which........
There's no air leaks around the carb, I've made sure chain is ajusted and there's almost no slack in the throttle. Is there a slower opening throttle available?
rick

• BWB63

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:57 AM

What pilot jet do you have?

• Haggis

Posted November 12, 2005 - 06:00 AM

I think this was a problem reported by quite a few riders. Mine does have this problem but I did help it by making sure the throttle cable didn't have too much play as this exagerated the on/off throttle.

Fitting the Mikuni TM40 carb helps I believe.

• Gomer

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:12 AM

I've just learned to grab a little clutch when the going gets slippery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ridewv

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:25 AM

>What pilot jet do you have?
Presently, 68 with 170 main, and B53E needle with clip at 3rd position.
Originally I did the 68 and 170 with the stock needle raised to 4th position. Riders following me said I smelled rich. I had it dyno'd with a EGA and was told it was too rich. I can't remember the % but the mechanic advised lowering the needle one position which I did. Seemed to run fine but a little harder to start and maybe more abrupt. That's when I carefully ajusted as the chain, removed all slack from the throttle, and installed the B53 needle (clip in 3rd). It seemed to help some but it's still pretty jerky to me. BTW I ride mostly 1,000-4,000 feet but plan on riding Southern Utah next Spring which will be 2,000-9,000 so I don't want it too rich.
rick

• creeky

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:39 PM

My son had the same problem with his 650R along with not being able to jet it to his satisfaction. We installed an Edelbrock pumper, improvement in all respects. No more abrupt throttle response,cold starting is improved, hot starting is one kick, even if the bike has been dropped. I've dropped it a couple of times and it actually kept running and all I had to do was pull in the clutch and pick it up. Another benefit is the ability to lean or enrich the mixture on the spot with no disassembly. I rode it in Colorado in August, and all I had to do was give it two clicks to the lean side and it ran great at all altitudes with no further adjustment. Downside, it is not cheap.

• ridewv

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:54 PM

>My son had the same problem with his 650R along with not being able to jet it to his satisfaction. We installed an Edelbrock pumper, improvement in all respects. No more abrupt throttle response,

Thanks Creeky,
Today I experimented by alternating between the 68s and 65s pilot and the clip in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th position in the stock needle and the B53 one. I guess it's meant to be. Or I buy a new Mikuni or Edelbrock like you.
rick

• khelton

Posted November 13, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Creeky, what did you have to pay for your edelbrock and ordered from who ?+

• creeky

Posted November 14, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Procycle has the Edelbrock carb kits, hang on to your wallet. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.