'06 450. . .

17 replies to this topic
  • TimFurryBalls

Posted November 11, 2005 - 10:33 PM

Remember back when I hinted that the new '06 might have some issues with turning? The new bike looks good, so don't take this as a Honda vs. Yamaha thing, just collecting on a friendly bet. . . here's a quote from Transworld MX:
"Through turns was where the bike needed some help. Much like its smaller brother, the YZ250F, the YZ450F felt uninspiring through ruts and berms alike, and the front end had a vague feel. It just didn't feel as if it would bite and take hold. While this could be remedied with some different offset triple clamps, it still is something that we feel is important. After all, how much is a fast bike worth if it doesn’t turn well?"

• mark112

Posted November 12, 2005 - 01:01 AM

it will be interesting to ride the bike, as there seem to be conflicting reports about the steering.

• DPW

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:33 AM

Here's the thing...d'em dare pro test riders notice stuff my novice riding skill level will never pick up on....

Throw a novice on the bike ...that's a test I want to read.

• Reyndogg

Posted November 12, 2005 - 06:48 AM

a new front tire is cheaper than a set of clamps :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:15 AM

When the 05 YZ250 came out there were people complaining about how it turned. Part of that was the suspension was not broken in. Once the forks were broken in and properly set up those complaints went away. I am sure the YZ450F is the same...break it in, set the sag and adjust the forks. Fork height and tire selection are easy things to do that you really should be doing on any bike. Not a serious flaw if there is one at all...the YZ250 had no flaw....it was just a matter of proper set up.

Here is another quote from the same article "As for the new aluminum frame, it does its job well. The new stiffer chassis makes the bike feel more planted and compliant, and the lighter weight definitely is noticeable. Unlike previous years, the '06 YZ450F feels light and flickable."

Craig Decker seemed to like it....especially the motor and says it "feels" 20lbs lighter. Good enough for me! :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:22 AM

Racer X didn't seem to have an issue with front-end push...

"Yamaha engineers tipped the engine upright and focused on the centering and lowering the bike’s weight to give it that feel. Their theory paid off. The bike turns quick when you want it to, but it is also very stable around faster, sweeping corners."

• Satch0922

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:25 AM

from Motorcycle Daily

"The revised fork and shock give the new aluminum chassis a very balanced, composed feel. The YZ450F was very stable on the higher speed, choppy straights, but also dropped into corners well and turned predictably. The new YZ450F does pretty much exactly what you ask of it."

• Satch0922

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:38 AM

From Dirt Rider

"It is really hard to ride the old one after then '06. Why? First thing is the new supple, plush suspension. Even compared to an ’05 YZ450F that we thought was working really well, the ’06 shines in suspension. Second is the new light and flickable feeling the new ride gives. It is way more like a 250F than you can imagine. Third is the power and its seamless delivery. Courtesy of filling all the dips and spreading the power out even better, this YZ rips and is more rideable than ever."

• Joe_Jet

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:49 AM

TWMX may end up eating those words?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SCIENCE

Posted November 12, 2005 - 12:01 PM

Remember back when I hinted that the new '06 might have some issues with turning? The new bike looks good, so don't take this as a Honda vs. Yamaha thing, just collecting on a friendly bet. . . here's a quote from Transworld MX:
"Through turns was where the bike needed some help. Much like its smaller brother, the YZ250F, the YZ450F felt uninspiring through ruts and berms alike, and the front end had a vague feel. It just didn't feel as if it would bite and take hold. While this could be remedied with some different offset triple clamps, it still is something that we feel is important. After all, how much is a fast bike worth if it doesn’t turn well?"

I will have to reserve judgment until I ride my buddies. He may not get it until January though. It's hard to decipher these tests. RX had Pro level guys, TWMX has a spread although it looks like Decker may have been the only one on the bike last week, DR has a spread of talent as does MXA etc. To be fair, after 20 some years on YZ 250's and one YZ250F I bought an '04 CRF450R and it was very vague in the turning dept. After installing 20mm offsets, correct springs and a 756RR I felt it turned as well as my late model YZ's YZF. And as we all know those bikes were pretty middle-of-the-road handlers. I think my '06 CRF is much better stock than the '04 and probably a respring & 756RR will do the trick.
Bottom line, I think the mfgs are still figuring out (perfecting) these beasts. Suzuki really shines in this area, but may lack in others etc. As w/all of them, personal preference rules the roost. I'm positive that the '06 YZF will be head & shoulders better than its predecessors though!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Look at the video From Transworld MX....it sure looks like the bike turns nice to me....of course the track is no good for the 739. It is going to be the worst tire for for those conditions...Transworld MX writer ......stupid opinion that could have been reworded differently.....

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 12, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Funny, TWMX is the only rag with these "turning" problems.

They just suck at riding.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted November 15, 2005 - 09:51 AM

Funny, TWMX is the only rag with these "turning" problems.

They just suck at riding.

The bike does look good though. I'm wondering how it'll stack up against the "other" bikes. It'd be nice to see Yamaha back at the top again. Hey, what am I saying here?! What can I say, I'm a Chad Reed fan!

• revolucien

Posted November 15, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Doesen't the '06 come stock with adjustable clamps? :applause:

• DPW

Posted November 15, 2005 - 01:00 PM

Doesen't the '06 come stock with adjustable clamps? :applause:

Yes, but it just moves the bars forward and back. It will not change the rake and help turning.

• MotoGoalie

Posted November 15, 2005 - 01:53 PM

90% Of us aren't pros and will never realize anything other than pure joy and bliss riding these new bikes.

Additionally, I'd rather have a bike that you might (and stress MIGHT) need to adapt to minimally on turning prowess but that doesn't go into a headshaking fit and tankslappers on every straight and whoops section.

Frankly since 1989 I've enjoyed the handling of every YZ I've ever ridden. I like stablity first and foremost.

• mummer12

Posted November 15, 2005 - 06:39 PM

:applause: all of my bikes have turned well, when i turn the bars left they go left, when i turn them right they go right. but they dont turn when i am in the air.
:ride:

• OHVrider

Posted November 15, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Yamaha probably advertised less in TMX. Every year all these mags differ alot on the different bikes. Personally I'm not loyal to any make as I figure they are not loyal to me. I'll buy whichever bike fits me best and is the most reliableat the time. If I ride a budy's bike and love it, that sways my opinion more than anything.

I just know that my 2003 YZ450F has had ZERO problems in 3 years (I bought it ealry and paid too much for it, they droped like 2K in 6 monhts. :applause: ) And anyone telling me there 1 month old bike is reliable is a waste of words, cause its not enough time to tell.

Let's see how chad reed does on one in MX. If he beats RC, I'm guessing Yamaha will sell a lot, cause he wasn't even close on the 05. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.