Have 03 450 ..... Considering 06 450 INPUT on RIP!!!

16 replies to this topic
  • Stoutman450f

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:50 PM

I bought my 03 450 in Jan 03. LOVE the hit..... everyone said unridable in woods.. I think it is the best machine made... I've been riding yamaha YZ line Forever -

Now I'm thinking of a new 450. I am nervous that engineering has tamed the animal.

Does anyone have input on that topic. Also what do we think about the aluminum frame?? :applause: :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:15 PM

I have the 03 the 06 will blow it away period.................. :applause:

• EastBayThumper

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:51 PM

how can you say the 06 will BLOW away 03-05. they are still both 450cc engines

• Bubie450

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:54 PM

Its just that over the years, 4 stroke are getting better. 2 strokes have always been the same, while a 1992 four stroke is why different than a 2001 four stroke!!!

• flintlock28

Posted November 12, 2005 - 04:23 AM

From reviews I've read, I think you might be dissapointed with the 06 model if you really enjoy the "hit". The consensus was that the powerband has been broadened so that there isn't really a definative "hit", it just pulls throughout the RPM range. I have a 2004 Yz450f and though it doesn't "hit" like a 2003, it still will yank your arms off. I enjoy having the "hit" so I think I'd probably not like the 06 engine feel as well as my 04.

Probably for racing, the newer engine may be more controllable which may translate into quicker lap times, but I don't race and I think I'll stay with my 2004.

• DPW

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Now I'm thinking of a new 450. I am nervous that engineering has tamed the animal.

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring that up. Gee if the bike is smoother than an '05....

• Ga426owner

Posted November 12, 2005 - 12:47 PM

how can you say the 06 will BLOW away 03-05. they are still both 450cc engines

I did not say that is will blow away 03-05.......the "06 will blow away the 03" although a great bike in stock form for 2003, it is unrefined. The 04 a little more refined and the 05 even more...The 03 needs more flywheel - too much wheelspin, the suspension is avg at best, it turns tight turns like crap...and they had noisy clutch issues. I have spent a lot of money to fix everyone of these issues and now it is a very good bike but any Jap 06 450 in stock form is better than a 03 YZF in stock form...period.

• ibleedblu

Posted November 12, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I did not say that is will blow away 03-05.......the "06 will blow away the 03" although a great bike in stock form for 2003, it is unrefined. The 04 a little more refined and the 05 even more...The 03 needs more flywheel - too much wheelspin, the suspension is avg at best, it turns tight turns like crap...and they had noisy clutch issues. I have spent a lot of money to fix everyone of these issues and now it is a very good bike but any Jap 06 450 in stock form is better than a 03 YZF in stock form...period.

I agree four strokes have came along way.. Just because you dont have the hit dont mean you dont have the pull, its just ALOT smoother.. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fowler175

Posted November 12, 2005 - 03:37 PM

When I bought my 04' 450, I was a little nervous about the 4-speed, but now I absolutely LOVE it. For me, the 06' being a 5-speed is a bit of a downer. If I was in the market for an 06, I would seriously look at the RMZ & KXF for that reason alone.

• CISCO

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:59 PM

Smooth power = more stamina.

With the smoothness and new 5 speed, it will be a viable weapon of choice for offroad. I know it will be for me.

Allready have my 18 hoop on order, IMS tank reserved and BRP sub damper mount ready to go :ride:

I wonder when will Eline will have a skid plate ready?

05 YZ250 set up for off road is for sale. See the 4 sale section :applause:

• Stoutman450f

Posted May 24, 2006 - 09:48 PM

OK - I did buy the 06 (Yellow) it didn't have the rip of the 03. After I rode it 3 times I figured out that if you put it in 4th gear, it will wheelie for days - around corners - up hills .... down straights whereever and forever. It doesn't pull like the 03 . But as one of you guys said, the 03 did corner like crap and it did make alot of clutch noise. The 06 is RAD.

Does anyone have a pipe recommendation? I'm thinking a little more mid to top power?... I am nervous to try to test as they are all $5 bills plus with head pipe.

Anyway - my wife loves her yellow 250f and as it has been weird to go back to a 5 speed (feeling in between in 1 -3 ) It has been a Bust! I say permagrin and Yamaha has done it again!!

• aford541

Posted May 24, 2006 - 09:58 PM

I bought the DMC, it comes with a spark arrestor and they sell a quiet version if you need it.
Power is better down low and in the middle, Still no 03 hit, there will never be, in 06 Yamaha changed the ratio of the counter-balancer which gave the bike more flywheel effect and made the motor a ton smoother, if you miss the hit you can change the ignition box to a vortex, someone on TT said the cam profile is the same since they built the 450.

• bluestreak450

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:13 PM

I have an 06. Not any noticable hit, but it's really fast. It outruns the 05, but you also have to consider the condition. My buddy's bike has been ridden alot. We raced right after I broke it in. His bike does have a more definitive powerband.

• howard27

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:23 PM

My YZ450f 03 was loaded and tuned in real tight . I just had to get a 06 . If you have put many many laps on a 03 and step to a 06 you will instantly notice your excellent choice in motorcycles and you now can fully commit to a agressive riding style

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:53 AM

The explosive nature of the '03 may be entertaining, but it isn't really as useful as it is impressive. The '06, OTOH, is more a true thumper, and the broad, smooth character of the power makes the bike far easier to go fast on. What you need to do is get over the idea that you need to rev the hell out of the bike to get it to go faster and put it in a higher gear instead.

The '03 dynoed out at around 46-48 hp, depending. The '06 had 49.75 in This Test, which, incidentally, was done at 5500 feet above sea level. That's the reality of it. NOTE that the Red line is the YZF, and the Blue line is the Honda.

• 450 vet

Posted May 29, 2006 - 01:54 PM

sure the new bikes have came around as far as handling goes,but if im racing to win i remember the 03 having the most hit,downright gnarly.most novice races are only 4 laps or so anyhow,if one cant condition himself to run 4 laps,then any bike wont be of much use.

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2006 - 07:48 AM

If you're racing to win, you should already know that the equation is 80% rider and 20% bike. In the big class most especially, 80% of what the bike can give to the rider is suspension and handling. Power might be as much as 20%, and almost no one ever gets to really use the power the YZ450 has but for maybe 3 seconds a lap, anyway.

The fact is that a bike in this class can easily deliver power in a manner that simply cannot be effectively managed without a good deal of mental and physical concentration on that alone, to the point where it detracts from everything else, slows your overall performance down, and wears you out faster, no matter what condition you happen to be in. There is far too much emphasis placed on power output.

Yes, you can go fast on an '03 YZ450; I do (compared to some). I can and have gone by guys on their new '06's on all different parts of the track. But I will tell you that I am far faster on an '06 YZ450, I bike I have barely ridden, than I am on my own '03, and that's the bottom line. It's not about drag racing, it's not about who can throw roost the farthest, it's about lower lap times, and getting to the end before the other guys. The '06 does that better.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.