Signs of Overheating

4 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:18 PM

650R not uncorked yet. Parts are on order. I suspect it is getting hot, seems to have hanging idle when picking through technical stuff. Doesn't seem to boil over even with stock radiator cap. By all accounts after uncorking it should solve problem, but......what if water pump fails or ???? Have read that there is some type of oil temp guage. Any thoughts good or bad and if good where are they avialable?

• maddmickey

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:24 PM

xr's only has a replacement dipstick with a temp guage built in. I havent got one yet, but its on the list.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GrayGhost

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:30 PM

XRonly dipstick :applause: , gives you alittle heads up on oil temp, I run one, gives you something to watch, but remember oil temp and water temp don't always go hand in hand. Failed water pump will create high oil temp, oops, might be to late. But I definately feel better with the oil temp gauge then without.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 12, 2005 - 02:32 AM

The thing about the oil temp dip stick is that it will get moisture underneath the plastic window and then it will quit functioning. It will not last much longer than a year. Not worth the money. I am not the only one this has happened to.

• BRP27

Posted November 12, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Evans Coolant.

Solved my boiling over in tight stuff problem. Put it in forget it. I have not had any problems since I put it in for over a year.

Wont freeze until -40 F and wont boil until 375 F. It has no water in it.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.