Oil Leave on Dip Stick

5 replies to this topic
  • WR426Frider

Posted November 10, 2005 - 03:49 PM

I have a 02 WR426F and i just change to Rotella T oil, used to use YamaLube. The YamaLube was 20W40 and this Rotella T is 15W40. I would put about 1.75 quarts in it and was always with in the two marks. Now that i am using Rotella T i put the same amount in but it well only be with in the two marks, but only right after running. If i let it sit for ten minutes did is it almost not even on the dipstick, after 20 mins the dip stick is dry. I have checked the oil pressure bolt to make sure they is pressure, and they is. It is getting very cold out, would this have anything to do with it.

• byggd

Posted November 10, 2005 - 04:40 PM

I run Rotella T 5w40 and the yamaha manual says to put in 1.47 qts with filter change/cleaning. After changing I run it for 2 or 3 min, let it sit for 2 min, check the oil and it's always 1/2 way between the marks. If you let it sit too long after running it the oil will drain back into the engine :applause:

• WildRide

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:52 PM

My 01 WR426 owners-service manual calls for 1.69US qt with oil filter replacement, 1.59US qt without a filter service. It is my own general opinion that the dipstick is close to useless as far as repeatability and accuracy goes. If you check at 2, 4, 6, 10, 15 minutes you get a different level each time. I just change oil every other ride and I don't worry about the stupid dipstick, I would not believe or trust it anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:42 PM

i use a measuring funnel, and fill with the amount of oil stated in the manual. ive never been able to get decent repeatability with the dipstick.

• Zach0509

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:10 AM

And if you check it too soon after running, it just comes pouring out of the dipstick hole! I learned the hard way this week that you can't check the oil level if the engine is hot! I changed my oil 3 times this week, because I thought there was a problem! I'm new to 4-strokes, so I was baffled by this engine oil issue. Oh well...

Good News: My engine is clean as hell!

Bad News: I've spent $15 on oil this week!

Take it from me... you can't judge the amount of oil by your dipstick just drain it all out, and fill it with the proper amount.

• byggd

Posted November 12, 2005 - 06:24 AM

My 01 WR426 owners-service manual calls for 1.69US qt with oil filter replacement, 1.59US qt without a filter service. It is my own general opinion that the dipstick is close to useless as far as repeatability and accuracy goes. If you check at 2, 4, 6, 10, 15 minutes you get a different level each time. I just change oil every other ride and I don't worry about the stupid dipstick, I would not believe or trust it anyway.

On page 3-17 of my 02 WR426FP owner's service manual it says "total amount 1.59 US qt" "Periodic oil change 1.37 US qt" "with oil filter replacement 1.48 US qt" :ride: :applause: :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.