how do you know when it's time?

8 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted November 10, 2005 - 03:46 PM

for a top end rebuild.
my 99 400 has 6000 k's on it and sounds a little noisier than it used to.
I went down to my letterbox today (300m) without my helment, just in 1st and second,and it sounded quite rattley (the second reason to always wear your helmet). might just put the helmet back on.

i read a thread recently that they are noisy, but it just seems more so than before. about to do another oil change, i'll have a listen then.
what is involved with top end rebuild?
roughly how much $au?

how many of you have done it and what did you notice most once it was done.?
thanks

• atf8611

Posted November 10, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Have you ever checked/adjusted the valves? if not, you should definatly do that soon. its pretty easy to do yourself, just follow the instructions in the manual. its also pretty inexpensive becuase it doesnt take many parts. it takes a little time if you have never done it before, but its nothing too complicated.

• Matty05

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Have you done a compression check on it yet???

• rockieman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:38 PM

My '99 just went kaboom.... dropped one of the intake valves at 8500 miles. I changed the oil every 500 miles and adjusted the valves 4 times, the last was within 500 miles before it blew up. I would, if I were you, do a complete top end (valve train), at the very least...to include a new timing chain. My piston and cylinder appear to be in good shape....based on the mileage on my motor I'm going to tear it completely down to inspect everything.
If you like, send me a PM and I can send you a spreadsheet from the TT OEM store that has more than what you'll need to rebuild.
Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tshe1

Posted November 11, 2005 - 12:37 AM

for a top end rebuild.
my 99 400 has 6000 k's on it and sounds a little noisier than it used to.
I went down to my letterbox today (300m) without my helment, just in 1st and second,and it sounded quite rattley (the second reason to always wear your helmet). might just put the helmet back on.

i read a thread recently that they are noisy, but it just seems more so than before. about to do another oil change, i'll have a listen then.
what is involved with top end rebuild?
roughly how much $au?

how many of you have done it and what did you notice most once it was done.?
thanks

first you have to determine from where the noise comming, maybee it's the exhaust that is to loud ?
I'm now rebuilt the head because ad decompression problem (you can read about it in previous thread).
i measured the valve clearance and the valves,springs,cams dimensions according to the manual.
have to inspect the head,timing chain,puston,spark plug, and according to the results decided what to do.
it depends on you how far you want to take it.
in my case it ended with oil,coolent fluid,head gasket,valves stem seals and spark plug.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:17 AM

Rockieman, Could you tell us where the drop valve went. You say every thing else looked fine but if you really dropped a valve it would tear the piston and wall up. My 00 WR has about 2k miles and I would like to know what will happen in that event.

• bluebike1999

Posted November 12, 2005 - 10:21 PM

thanks everyone for your input.
just did oil chage, doesnt appear to have anymore flake than usuall.
sounds 'chirpy' and i read some previous threads and thought it may be time.
got a feeling may be cam chain or like.
Ill let you know how it goes.

• bluebike1999

Posted November 12, 2005 - 10:28 PM

matty no i havent done comp test. it feels to be going just fine.
in fact it goes great.

had valves checked about 800ks ago and they were 'in spec' when i got it changed to yz timing.
have just put in pretty hard long weekend in sand, going up dunes and i dont like it because it just feels so hard on the bike.

and Rockieman, if you dismantle your bike, could you take some pics so i can see what is good condition and whats not, and get a bit of an idea.
when you say it went Kaboom ... what happened?

• ISBB

Posted November 13, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Bluebike1999 I only ride in the sand and am constantly in the upper rpm's alllllllll the time... :applause: I havent had one problem with my bike yet... and i do the normal oil changes and what not.. :ride: thats why i love this bike so much.. change the oil and go.. :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.