question for those who switched from 250f's

13 replies to this topic
  • JJC62879

Posted November 10, 2005 - 01:55 PM

i am thinking about a switching to a 450, but i need some advice. right now i have a 05 yz125, but i have owned a 02 yzf250 and a 04 crf250. the yzf never gave me any problems, but crf did, i needed valves after only 4 months of riding, i got angry and made a dumb decision and bought a 125, but i really don't like it all. i absolutely love 250f's, but i just don't feel like dealing with the maintenance that is involved, do you guys think that 450 need less maintenance compared to 250f's? also, i have never even rode a 450, how hard was it adapting to the power?

• new2blu

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:22 PM

not sure on the matinence on the 250s compared to 450s. I went from a XR 250 to a WR 450 and I was a little scared of the power at first but got used to it pretty quickly. Stock it is so choked up it almost runs like a XR 250 but with throttle stop removed and removing the stock exhaust insert along with re-jetting the bike really came alive. Now I really enjoy all the power; it is much easier to twist the throttle to get the front wheel over rocks/logs instead of the old way (XR250) pull back on the bars while twisting the throttle. I would not hesitate to buy another WR450--awesome bike!

• ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:37 PM

i have both a wr250 and 450.

only maintenence so far is oil and filter changes.

but then again, neither of the bikes are very old. (2004)

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Well having both bikes I can give you some tips. 05-250f and 03-450f

First you will need to set up both bikes independant of the other one in the suspension department. I had the forks revavled in the 450 and that made a world of difference. But set the sag, work on the clickers and the fork height.

Power wise the 450 has a lot. If you ride a lot of tight SX or AX tracks, the 450 is a handful. Always on the edge of just launching you off the track. At a MX track, it is almost like cheating, especially when there is sand or mud that takes some HP to get through.

Both are similar in feel. There is a heavier weight on the front end of the 450 that you can feel.

Comes down to the tracks you ride. Also you have to realize a 450 will wear you out! It takes work to ride those bikes fast. The 250Fs are just plain fun to ride and you can ride them all day without getting tired.

• kizzle426

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:20 PM

I've seen a lot more complaints on 250f's than 426/450f's. But I don't know. All Yammies are proven to be more durable than most. I've been riding my 426 HARD since January when I got it and have had no problems. Let us know what you do :applause:

• kawirider

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Well, I came from a KX125, and I have also ridden my dads WR250F quite a bit. The guy I bought it from just had the valves professionaly serviced. He bought it new (its an '03) and 3 of the valves were in spec and 2 of them had to be adjusted minimally. He raced it too. But he also changed the oil every 5 hours, changed the oil filter ever 10 hours, and changed the air filter after every moto. (gave me 6 spare air filters w/bike). So really like any other bike (except hondas) if you treat it right it will treat you right. About the whole power thing. I moved up from a 125 just like you, and If your young, and like to do wheelies, you will instantly be in love with this bike, and personally after about 45min - 1 hour I felt extremely comfortable on it.

• djo269

Posted November 10, 2005 - 09:27 PM

Coming off a 2002 yz250f to a 2003 yz450f myself. I am a big guy at 280lbs. The power was needed and the 450 is not a handful for me. I can tell a huge difference in the forks valving between the two bikes. I love everything about my 450. The 250f was a bastard to start(never got the 03 cam for it). Get an 03 or 04 yz450 if your a big guy like me. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IntenseRider

Posted November 11, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Coming off a 2002 yz250f to a 2003 yz450f myself. I am a big guy at 280lbs. The power was needed and the 450 is not a handful for me. I can tell a huge difference in the forks valving between the two bikes. I love everything about my 450. The 250f was a bastard to start(never got the 03 cam for it). Get an 03 or 04 yz450 if your a big guy like me. :applause:

DJO: Do you off-road your bike? I am thinking about switching from a 250F to a 450F mostly due to my weight (about 225 with gear), but I am curious how the 450 does off-road. FYI...I'm on the east coast and split my riding between track and trail and did a few GNCCs last year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• JJC62879

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:47 AM

thanks for all the responces guys. i am having such a tough time trying to decide what bike to buy. i kind of scared that the 450 will just be too much, i don't know if i need that much power. i don't ride ax or sx, mostly mx, but i plan on moving out west to Arizona by the end of this summer and i want a bike i can use for mx, singletrack, desert, and some trips to the dunes. one of my biggest concerns though has to do with maintenace, do you guys know the typical life of a top end and valves is with a yzf 450?

• Ambluemax

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:09 PM

If you are moving out there, get a 450 for sure.

• djo269

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:21 PM

DJO: Do you off-road your bike? I am thinking about switching from a 250F to a 450F mostly due to my weight (about 225 with gear), but I am curious how the 450 does off-road. FYI...I'm on the east coast and split my riding between track and trail and did a few GNCCs last year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do u mean off-road as in woods? I ride my 03' yz450 mostly mx tracks but I do playride in open farm pastures here in Missouri. This particular bike is eager to stall when not ridden wide open(throttle). So if u are a woods rider I would sit tight on your 250f. I still have my 250f but dont ride it(trying to sell it) and if I was to do more woods riding I would have stayed with it(250f). I am not sure on this but it feels like my 02' yz250f has a heavier flywheel plus from what I remember is it didn't stall nearly as easy as my 450. With an 03' cam in it, I would not hesitate to ride in woods on the 250f. I don't know if I answered your question or not with all this...but I would stay with your 250f if you like the bike. Oh and one more thing is that the 450 spins the rear tire instead of hooking up like if you wanna hurdle a log or something you want to lift the front end, it would be easier done on the 250f(I believe).

• tacoma426

Posted November 12, 2005 - 10:07 PM

I would look at a yz426 they are great all around bikes they are also VERY reliable bikes. I have mine set up for mx and trail and the 5-speed is great for both.
Good Luck

• kizzle426

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:09 AM

thanks for all the responces guys. i am having such a tough time trying to decide what bike to buy. i kind of scared that the 450 will just be too much, i don't know if i need that much power. i don't ride ax or sx, mostly mx, but i plan on moving out west to Arizona by the end of this summer and i want a bike i can use for mx, singletrack, desert, and some trips to the dunes. one of my biggest concerns though has to do with maintenace, do you guys know the typical life of a top end and valves is with a yzf 450?

You won't have to worry about the top end for a LONG time as long as ruitine oil and air filters cleanings are performed. Why do you think so many people are making the switch?

• curtains23

Posted November 13, 2005 - 12:53 AM

03 450f with about 200 hours on it, changed cam chain last month, but no wear on it at all, but better to be safe than sorry, all valves were perfect, had a big end bearing
break up in 05 but soon got it sorted, rest of it is common sense:- oil and filter every 7 hours, air filter every 3 hours, lube swing arm bearings every 4 months, o ring chain with steel sprockets, clean and lube every ride..enjoy the beast.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.