What radiator guards for BRP ?

33 replies to this topic
  • jwriott

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Has anyone tried the Works Connection Radiator Braces?

• qadsan

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:24 AM

Yes, I've tried them and use them on one of my 650R's. You'll find a number of people here who have had fitment problems with them and some people think they're junk, but they bolted right up for me. They're not the strongest guard out there, but they're a simple design and they do afford some protection.

I've read a lot of good comments in terms of fitment for the Devol radiators guards for the XR650R and I did buy a set for both a XR650R and a CR250R, but neither of my Devol guards fit properly and required modification to makes them work. They are heavier duty than the Works Connection guards and they're also more restrictive to the air flow, but not enough that its ever caused a problem for me. I'm not thrilled with either product and think they both could be better.

• Agent2

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Unabiker's - available through the TT store. Built like a brick s**thouse. They are a little tough to install (get a foot long allenhead screwdriver) but nothing comes close to the protection they give to the rads. I was wondering if enough air would get through the guards, but I have had no problems with overheating.

• jwriott

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:39 PM

I have the Unabikers on my 300 EXC. I thought he didn't have them for the XR650R?

• Agent2

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:20 PM

They are available for the 650r, been out since around the beginning of the year. I believe a TT members pig was the test bike for the prototype guards.

• motochris

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:52 PM

get an L and you wont have to worry about them funky radiators.

Yea, you won't have to worry about those radiators.......or worry about having too much power....or about having suspension thats actually usefull....or.....

• AzMtnThumper

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I think Tim may be on to something with the SRC forkskins, they have a much smaller diameter than the stock fork boots. I have them on mine but if I had to do it again I think I would get the long Sealsavers instead since they appear to be made of thicker neoprene (and supposedly more durable) than the the SRC's. One of my SRC's ripped paralell to the seam so I guess I'll get a chance to buy those Sealsavers after all.
I have the Devol guards as well, and had some fitment issues on the right side (had to trim a notch in the brace) and also found the fit to be a bit close to the rads so I zip tied a small piece of inner tube to the portion of the guards closest to contacting the radiators. I bought both the guards and forkskins from the TT store. Give them a call, they can get you just about anything even if it's not in the catalog. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Yes, I've tried them and use them on one of my 650R's. You'll find a number of people here who have had fitment problems with them and some people think they're junk, but they bolted right up for me. They're not the strongest guard out there, but they're a simple design and they do afford some protection.

I've read a lot of good comments in terms of fitment for the Devol radiators guards for the XR650R and I did buy a set for both a XR650R and a CR250R, but neither of my Devol guards fit properly and required modification to makes them work. They are heavier duty than the Works Connection guards and they're also more restrictive to the air flow, but not enough that its ever caused a problem for me. I'm not thrilled with either product and think they both could be better.

Qadsan,
I run the Works Connection Radiator Braces and have been happy with the side impact protection they give. However, I have a new set of radiators I want to mount up but I've been relunctant because I know the fins will just get smashed in the course of a race.

When you got the Devols, did you try to mount the Works Connection Braces (which provide good side protection but no front protection) and the Devol guards (which seem to provide good front protection but no side protection) at the same time?

I assume it would take longer hardware but is there room for both? Did you try mounting up both at the same time?

• ThunderChicken

Posted May 02, 2006 - 09:47 PM

Qadsan,
I run the Works Connection Radiator Braces and have been happy with the side impact protection they give. However, I have a new set of radiators I want to mount up but I've been relunctant because I know the fins will just get smashed in the course of a race.

When you got the Devols, did you try to mount the Works Connection Braces (which provide good side protection but no front protection) and the Devol guards (which seem to provide good front protection but no side protection) at the same time?

I assume it would take longer hardware but is there room for both? Did you try mounting up both at the same time?

paging Qadsan....

Actually, I see that Precision Concepts has a radiator brace that mounts at the stock skid plate and the braces run up to the bottom of the radiators. I imagine these would work alongside the Devol guards creating both fin protection from the devols and radiator bracing from the Precision Concepts braces... ...removing the Works Connection braces from the picture.

• qadsan

Posted May 03, 2006 - 09:01 AM

That's an interesting way to do it..

Posted Image
Xr650R Radiator Braces
Designed to protect the radiators when running the Acerbis 6.5 gallon tank or the IMS 7.0 gallon tank. $44.95

• Gripo

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:16 PM

I know this is a grave dig but as time marches on info/pics go missing...

Looking for a photo of the Devol rad guards mounted on a BRP...and particularly where the mount to and any issues with the large dual core eBay rads...

• 1972RedNeck

Posted July 28, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Unabiker's - available through the TT store. Built like a brick s**thouse. They are a little tough to install (get a foot long allenhead screwdriver) but nothing comes close to the protection they give to the rads. I was wondering if enough air would get through the guards, but I have had no problems with overheating.

Same here. Super well built.

• Gripo

Posted July 29, 2016 - 04:08 AM

thanks lads, but the devol is available locally from a couple sources...

really looking at replacing the stock rad deflectors or whatever they are called...as I already have the large/thicker dual core rads...

• 1972RedNeck

Posted July 29, 2016 - 04:37 PM

thanks lads, but the devol is available locally from a couple sources...

really looking at replacing the stock rad deflectors or whatever they are called...as I already have the large/thicker dual core rads...

Will the Devol's work with thicker radiators? That's why I went with Unibiker - if you call them, they will make a set of guards for the thicker radiators...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.