What radiator guards for BRP ?

33 replies to this topic
  • Zapp22

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:48 AM

Friends
needing your opinions and experiences re: Radiator guards for the BRP. I"m thinking at some point [after a DC conversion] I will add a fan to the backside of one of the rads.... so i'm also wondering which Guards would not interfere with access that way.

I bought from the TT store the Flatland guards for my troubled DRZ, and they are really stout, but I'm a bit worried that the face is so overly-protected that it greatly reduces the surface area available for airflow... which may lead to a fan install on the DRZ. it would seem that a better radiator guard would be made with horizontal bars spaced about 1" apart and maybe angled so as to catch airflow but deflect rocks >1" size. ?? anyone seen something like that?

bottom line: tell me which one you picked and are you pleased with the part?

Z

• TimBrp

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Devols are the best, IMO for the 650. Good fit and finish. Airflow shouldn't be a problem if the XR is jetted fine. You want to talk about airflow, stand in front of your xr and stare at your radiators....what's in your way? Yeah, get rid of the hideous fork boots. By switching to the SRC forkskin and guard setup I acquired probably 30% more airflow. I ride tight technical areas for hours on end without issue. Does she heat up, yes...but just check your coolant reservoir down by the skid for good measure. When it gets high, get her some airflow...don't shut the bike down when it runs hot as "hot spots" will develope.

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:54 AM

I don't know what is best, but I know what is NOT. MSR. I bought a pair off ebay recently for < $30 or half the cost of Devol. The directions are shit and the fit out of the box was terrible. I ended up hacking mine into shape w/ sawzall :ride: and made up some spacers to get them to work. They do look ok now and I'm sure they will stop a stick much better than the plastic ducts, but were not worth the hassle for the price. :applause:

• al_piv

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:03 AM

Check out Unabiker's -- I have them on my KTM and have not has any issues.

• Zapp22

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:42 AM

thanks, both you guys

Tim if you know best source for those lemme know. I'll go search for them now.

i got a thermostat and cap from Scott Summers' shop, and plan to add engine ice or some wetter [there was a writeup on summers' site that implied those products DO good] ... but I had never even thought about the fork boots. Great tip. I assume the forkskin is just a somewhat tight, flexible sheath? I'll google that also.
and speaking of fork..... do you guys run 10wt in yours? I have no idea what's in mine... i'm second owner and never even thought about it til i read an article about checking the rods inside, as a few BRP's had early corrosion on some of those parts.... so I'm thinking I'll open them up

z

• TimBrp

Posted November 10, 2005 - 09:46 AM

You can get the devols at any Parts Unlimited dealer. Try the thumpertalk store too. As far as suspension goes, I'm no guru but if the XR isn't setup for you, you have no idea what you're missing. If you're suspension savy then get in there and get that whale snot out. If not I can't see ANY better mod(other than uncorking) that I did to my bike that made the difference a good suspension setup did.

• BIG RED

Posted November 10, 2005 - 12:24 PM

I've got the msr and found them to be a perfect fit, after sending back my devols because they needed to be modified

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 10, 2005 - 12:32 PM

I've got the msr and found them to be a perfect fit, after sending back my devols because they needed to be modified

Big Red, do you have a picture? It's entirely possible I put mine on wrong since the directions were illegible. Like I said, I got them on, and they look ok and are sturdy. But I did a fair amount of drilling and cutting and used my own stainless hardware to get them that way.

thx.
Dan.

• BIG RED

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I don't have any pics yet and can't find my instructions, but i don't think i even used them. when i got mine i just removed the plastic ones and set them in place and all the holes lined up so i put in the screws. i bought mine new in the spring maybe they changed them. How old are yours?

• frankstr

Posted November 12, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Devol gaurds get my vote....... :applause: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted November 12, 2005 - 11:13 PM

I like my devols, but they were kind of a hassle to get in there. They sit right up against the front of the rads on mine. Plus, I had to make a notch out of one of the brackets on the guards so that it would fit right on the back.

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 13, 2005 - 08:40 AM

re: MSR rad guards..

when i got mine i just removed the plastic ones and set them in place and all the holes lined up so i put in the screws. i bought mine new in the spring maybe they changed them. How old are yours?

I bought mine about 4-6 weeks ago off ebay. The seller listed them as XR650 guards to fit 97-03 XR650, which clearly makes no sense.

I couldn't figure a way to make the holes line up no matter how I flipped them around so I drilled new holes and made it work, using my own stainless hardware. Also had to trim the guards some.

I'm satisfied w/ them, they seem sturdy enough. Lots of wrangling to get them on though..

• BIG RED

Posted November 13, 2005 - 07:48 PM

maybe they are for somthing else? they don't mount tight against the rad like the devol, mine are about 1" in font of the rads. i was going to add braces as well but when they came in they clearly blocked a lot of air flow so i didn't bother putting them on

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:08 PM

get an L and you wont have to worry about them funky radiators.

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:01 AM

get an L and you wont have to worry about them funky radiators.

I know a troll when I smell one :ride:

would I do with an L? If I wanted simplicity and no-frills toughness, I'd go back to my good 'ol D/S 600R. IOW, a REAL dirtbike.

650L. please...

( now who's trolling?.. :applause: )

• al_piv

Posted November 14, 2005 - 08:18 AM

thumpasaurus +++++++++++ :applause: :ride: :p :p :lol: :p :p :lol: :p :p ;) :p :p ;) :bonk: :bonk: :mad:

• Zapp22

Posted December 01, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Huh? you saying the Devols are not a bolt-on? I checked the TT store and see no rad guards, not a thing for the XR650R. Unabiker doesn't make, Flatland doesn't ..... I was all set to buy the Devols now I am stuck. someone bail me out.

I need more on suspension setup. So, empty the fork oil and replace with good 10 wt? is that the prescription? I know there's more to it so somebody coach me.

Guess I better go back to SRC's site
z

• TimBrp

Posted December 01, 2005 - 09:28 AM

My devols mounted right up. Watch out if you have aftermarket shrouds or tank as this might cause an issue.

• mtrhd101

Posted December 01, 2005 - 04:50 PM

My Devols did NOT mount right up.. I suppose it matters how picky you are about it too.. I die grinded, drilled, filed, shimmed and sanded to get mine to fit properly.. After several hours work they fit right and looked great.. I took off some material at the lower part next to the frame tube too, It was really tight there and put everything in a bind.. And I didn't like the fact they would rub all the paint off the frame.. The cutout for the lower shroud bolt needs inlarged too for the guard to get past it and sit flat on the radiator.. All in all a bunch of trouble to get it fitting and looking right.. If you dont you have lots of tools , time and experience doing this sort of thing you may not be happy. Unless of coarse you dont care how they fit..

• TimBrp

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I just put them on and went with it. I didn't break a level out and make sure they were up to par. The first crash negated any value that might have given me...lol.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.