Thinking of going orange....

25 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:44 PM

What makes you say that? I'm looking to go smaller/lighter. The 525, so I hear, can be a bear in the tight trails.

I'm looking for a bike that can do the tight nasty trails, singletrack, and still shine in the open stuff. The WR, so I've heard is a bit on the pudgy side. When you're doing 60 miles of singletrack all day, weight is a big concern.

I have not found that to be true. The 525 is great in the tight stuff. Like I said it is my woods bike of choice although I have really been having a lot of fun on my 05 KDX220 in the tight stuff.

But if your not concerned about a plate the 06 WR450 would really be an interesting choice. From what I have read about it I would love to ride one. Still the 510 husky is light, turns great, has an e-button and is a stronger running bike than the 525.

• irondude

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:51 PM

bad ass street legal off road 450 from europe

• BWB63

Posted November 10, 2005 - 09:28 PM

It's a little crazy to argue about the KTM 450 MCX and KTM 525 MCX, when they are the same bike. one has a 89mm bore and the other has a 95mm bore. Same carburetor, same everything. Same rake, tail, frame, suspension.

But, then again I looked it up here and they could be wrong :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stonewall

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:04 AM

But if your not concerned about a plate the 06 WR450 would really be an interesting choice.

I agree! :applause: The '05 and up WR450's are completely different animals than the earlier WR's. The tall, portly feeling is gone. Getting a plate isn't a problem either. I had one on mine the same day I bought the bike. For $5700 OTD it's a lot of bike.
Posted Image

• TimBrp

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:11 AM

I just figured the KTM's come with all the goodies I'm going to want/have to put on the WR's or CRF's. Stainless lines, wave rotors, skid plates, bark busters. The KTM shop near me sells their bikes, at no extra charge, with a protection package including barkbusters(your choice) skidplate(your choice) pipe guards, sharkfins etc. I was getting an 05' 450exc for 6600 OTD w/ all that and taxes included. Some guys have said they can never find the comfort zone on the KTM's w/out standing up. I just figured the WR would still "feel" heavy in the singletrack compared to the KTM and that the electric starters are weak. When doing 70+ miles of it, that matters.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 11, 2005 - 06:20 PM

The KTMs feel light but when you dump one they are pretty heavy. They carry their weight down low which makes them a dream to ride. I love mine but am glad I have 3 other bikes to alternate with.

If your set on the KTM rest assured you will like it a lot. But there are other bikes that can run head to head with the KTM weight wise and performance wise. The only negative thing I can say about the KTM is they are not as durable as the XR650R. But they are durable for close to 7000 miles. That is a lot of riding and most folks would have it traded in before they hit that kind of mileage. It is a quality racing machine.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.