First start tonight.. MY new 2005 yz450F Thumper!

8 replies to this topic
  • EastBayThumper

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:26 PM

Well I just got home.. I'm now in debt but I have a brand new 05 yz450F sitting in my garage.. I had a chance to warm it up a little around the neighborhood and I LOVE the power! This is a nice upgrade from my 01 yz250F and don't think I could ever go back.. Can't wait to get it on some dirt! Any suggestions for break-in, parts or anything I should know?

Thanks to everyone for all the info I was able to get on these forums before I bought it!

• Butta

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:38 PM

First, CONGRATS!!! You've purchased an excellent steed!! As for the break in, I did mine just like the book said, and changed the oil and filter after the first hour, then again after about 4 more hours. Keep an eye on the chain slack, and ride it like you stole it!!!!

:applause:

• tnl

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Make sure the dealer put the front tire spacers on the correct side of the front wheel. Elevate the front wheel and spin it to see if it spins freely. Mine were on the wrong sides and caused the front disc to rub on the caliper housing! I always look at the bikes when I'm at the shop to see if they screw up too and some are.

• CISCO

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thats Hilarious and very sad at the same time :applause:

Make sure the dealer put the front tire spacers on the correct side of the front wheel. Elevate the front wheel and spin it to see if it spins freely. Mine were on the wrong sides and caused the front disc to rub on the caliper housing! I always look at the bikes when I'm at the shop to see if they screw up too and some are.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EastBayThumper

Posted November 16, 2005 - 01:55 AM

Spacers look good... I have finished breaking it in. I am going to bring it in for its first service tomorrow. What do I need to make sure the service guys check for? Have the oil changed... something about cleaning out the metal catcher? Checking valve clearence? I really don't know anything about any of this.. I just love riding. Any advice before I bring it in and how much I should expect to pay?

• flintlock28

Posted November 16, 2005 - 03:09 AM

Congratulations on your bike........

A few things you might want to get:

1) Zip-Ty Fuel screw. This is a Knurled knob that you replace the factory recessed screw with (in the carbuerator) so that you can adjust the fuel mixture without having to get a very short screwdriver to access. Adjusting this screw can make a big difference when the temperature/altitiude/humidity change, so that your bike will run correctly from idle up to I think about 1/2 throttle or so (about $20)

2) I personally don't like (and other's on this forum) the stock 739 front tire....tends to wash out on you. Some people have had no trouble with it ( the 739), but I like the Dunlop 756 up front way better. I also recommend running the Maxxis IT tire on the rear once the factory rear tire is worn. A lot of people like the Dunlop 756 up front, and the Maxxis IT on the rear. Good performance and longevity.

THat's all I can think of for now....

Best of luck.

• phat_450f

Posted November 16, 2005 - 05:20 AM

Congrats man...debt is good when you are buying something like that....

• Butta

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:02 AM

Spacers look good... I have finished breaking it in. I am going to bring it in for its first service tomorrow. What do I need to make sure the service guys check for? Have the oil changed... something about cleaning out the metal catcher? Checking valve clearence? I really don't know anything about any of this.. I just love riding. Any advice before I bring it in and how much I should expect to pay?

For what they will do, an arm and a leg.....honestly, there is NO reason to have the dealer do the "first service". If you want to get out of debt, learn how to do the maintenance by yourself, and then send what you would have paid the dealer to do it to help pay off the bike. Changing the oil, adjusting the chain slack, re-torquing major nuts/bolts, cleaning the air filter, etc....all quite simple, really.

• Reyndogg

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:37 AM

For what they will do, an arm and a leg.....honestly, there is NO reason to have the dealer do the "first service". If you want to get out of debt, learn how to do the maintenance by yourself, and then send what you would have paid the dealer to do it to help pay off the bike. Changing the oil, adjusting the chain slack, re-torquing major nuts/bolts, cleaning the air filter, etc....all quite simple, really.

:p :p :lol:

1st service = 2nd time they'll rip you off lol :p

all kidding aside - you should learn to do at least basic maintenance on your bike: oil, chain, air filters, etc

good luck :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.